MS3 Interested in Dermatology Research Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

N'Syncope

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm an MS3 with recent interest in dermatology. 260+ Step 1 and 10+ publications in another field, likely AOA at a top 15 medical school.

Unfortunately, it's rather late in the academic year, and I'm not sure where to start in terms of scheduling a paid research year. What do you all recommend? Is a career in dermatology impossible at this point?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I'm an MS3 with recent interest in dermatology. 260+ Step 1 and 10+ publications in another field, likely AOA at a top 15 medical school.

Unfortunately, it's rather late in the academic year, and I'm not sure where to start in terms of scheduling a paid research year. What do you all recommend? Is a career in dermatology impossible at this point?

Thanks!

Your stats are good enough that you don't need a research year.

Cultivating a worthwhile and paid research year takes time. I would start with your home department and see what connections you can make.

If you can't get it done in time, you'll need to make the decision whether to delay your graduation for 1 year.

Do well on your rotations and apply broadly. You have a great start. Try to get some derm specific research as well/oral presentations/posters.

Members don't see this ad :)

You're an absolute baller, I think you're going to do great if you're applying even next cycle without a research year. It's helpful to have research in derm, but you could spin your publications in the other field too to fit.

Talk to the people who applied or matched from your school in previous years to see who they worked with. Talk to your PD in your home department if you have one, they can point you in the right direction - they've likely had students come through the department who did research either in the dept or outside, and they could see if you'd be a good fit for any particular labs.

Hello!

Thanks!

I had similar stats and late interest in derm as well. Applied previous cycle without a research year and ended up matching at an amazing program in a highly desirable location. I say buckle down and pump out some case reports and presentations and go for it this year.

Hello!

Thanks!

I don't think you're too late to apply for next year with your stats, as long as your clinical grades correspond. Just make some immediate derm connections and try to work on a research project or case report with an attending at your home program. They can ultimately guide you on whether a research year is needed.

The one scenario where I maybe would suggest a research year....is if you have a high number of internal applicants planning to apply from your home institution, including people who are doing research years now. The issue with attending "top" schools is there tends be a lot of interest in derm, and sometimes good candidates with strong stats (like yourself) can have a rougher time from those programs if they get diluted out in a sea of internal applicants that are even "stronger".

Good luck!