MS3 looking for advice on how to strengthen application

Started by jazian
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jazian

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I'm a new MS3 who just started clinical rotations. I just received my Step 1 score (250) so I know that I won't get screened out of most places.

The main issue is that while my school is P/F, they do keep internal rankings so I am in the 4th quartile as I did not try my preclinical years. Will this be a big red flag on applications?

I am getting involved in Urology research and am working on 2 papers at the moment. I am gonna work hard in my clinicals and try to honor all/most of my rotations.

Is there anything I can do to further strengthen my application? I always wanted to go to residency in California or a surrounding area as I always wanted to live in that area but I will be willing to go anywhere.
 
Research, do well on rotations, set up several realistic aways. It will be a red flag that you are in the fourth quartile, but if you can bring that up to 2nd or 3rd with clinical grades, you should be alright.