MS3 looking for advice on how to strengthen application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jazian

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a new MS3 who just started clinical rotations. I just received my Step 1 score (250) so I know that I won't get screened out of most places.

The main issue is that while my school is P/F, they do keep internal rankings so I am in the 4th quartile as I did not try my preclinical years. Will this be a big red flag on applications?

I am getting involved in Urology research and am working on 2 papers at the moment. I am gonna work hard in my clinicals and try to honor all/most of my rotations.

Is there anything I can do to further strengthen my application? I always wanted to go to residency in California or a surrounding area as I always wanted to live in that area but I will be willing to go anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Research, do well on rotations, set up several realistic aways. It will be a red flag that you are in the fourth quartile, but if you can bring that up to 2nd or 3rd with clinical grades, you should be alright.