MSAR 2019 is out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meronebib

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
NYU with that thicc 522 median.

Edit: Also WUSTL and Yale with 522s. Wow.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Nice new feature where you can save your GPA/MCAT and it’ll plot it on the chart for whatever school you’re viewing

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Attachments

• SSN verify.png
    SSN verify.png
    190.4 KB · Views: 428
Reactions: 4 users
Mayo skyrocketed to 520

I remember when it was a 513 median

I really wish they separated MN and AZ but MSAR lumps them together

Reactions: 5 users
Top schools with ionospheric MCATs? Damn shocker.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow USF Morsani with 3.7/517 medians. I guess they weren't kidding when they said each class gets more competitive.

Looks like UCLA's MCAT median went up slightly. Interesting to see that their racial diversity is steadily decreasing each year.

The only thing more unpredictable than UCLA's admission patterns is @Goro 's ex-girlfriend and @gonnif 's first wife (who may or may not be the same person).

Reactions: 13 users
How do so many schools even have 520+ medians? With 80,000 MCAT takers, only 800 applicants should even have >520s...

Reactions: 3 users
How do so many schools even have 520+ medians? With 80,000 MCAT takers, only 800 applicants should even have >520s...
I think it initially shows medians for accepted students. MCAT Median for matriculating students is probably a bit lower for most schools.

Reactions: 6 users
I think it initially shows medians for accepted students. MCAT Median for matriculating students is probably a bit lower for most schools.
Gotcha, so the same students with multiple acceptances may skew the initial MSAR numbers.

I’m pretty sure it’s for matriculated students, isn’t that why its a cycle behind? Since 2018-19 applicants haven’t matriculated yet, but 2017-18 students have.

Irvine, Riverside, Davis, especially Northstate all had very surprising shifts

CalMed doesn't mess around.

That’s 80000 per year I’m assuming, but there are students from around 3 different MCAT testing years applying each cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
That’s 80000 per year I’m assuming, but there are students from around 3 different MCAT testing years applying each cycle.
True, however the fraction of reapplicant a that are >520 is marginal at best.

I’m pretty sure it’s for matriculated students, isn’t that why its a cycle behind? Since 2018-19 applicants haven’t matriculated yet, but 2017-18 students have.

I think premedalt is correct. You can toggle between accepted, matriculated, accepted in state and accepted out of state and the figures do change.

The shown MCAT median for Stony Brook is 516. This matches the median for "all accepted applicants - this school" from the drop down menu. The median for "all matriculated students -this school" for Stony Brook is 514.

The shown MCAT median for Stony Brook is 516. This matches the median for "all accepted applicants - this school" from the drop down menu. The median for "all matriculated students -this school" for Stony Brook is 514.
Gotcha, you are definitely correct. I just checked Yale NYU and WashU. Yale and WashU’s average matriculant has a 521, NYU is still 522.

A lot of people take the MCAT early and then apply a year or two later (me).
True, but again the portion that would be waiting a year or two after this year's MCAT would likely reflect the same proportion that waited a year or two in year's past. Thus, there should still be very few >520 applicants.

Just went through all of the schools with a median >519 matriculated. about 550 of the 10000 or so applicants with a 519 or higher end up matriculating to one of 10 schools.

Lmaooooooo good luck with that ppl applying next cycle
If the top schools stats are getting higher then every other school must be getting lower! Right, please tell me that is how this works... /s

522 - NYU, Yale, WashU
521 - Chicago, Hopkins, Penn, Vandy
520 - Columbia, Harvard, Northwestern, Stanford, Mayo
519 - Sinai, UVA, Cornell
518 - Case, Michigan, Boston, UCSF, UCLA, Duke

There are 12 schools where a 520 puts you in the bottom 50% of the class last year. Also GPA creep is real. I wonder when the first school with a median 4.0 will show up.

Could anyone post the GPA/MCAT for McGovern by chance? I'd greatly appreciate it!

can confirm the new notes feature is a great way to compare the 6-figure average indebtedness at the schools I'm waiting on financial packages from :dead:

522 - NYU, Yale, WashU
521 - Chicago, Hopkins, Penn, Vandy
520 - Columbia, Harvard, Northwestern, Stanford, Mayo
519 - Sinai, UVA, Cornell
518 - Case, Michigan, Boston, UCSF, UCLA, Duke

There are 12 schools where a 520 puts you in the bottom 50% of the class last year. Also GPA creep is real. I wonder when the first school with a median 4.0 will show up.

My lawd --> DO lyfe. :rofl:

Pediction: Medians are going to start hitting a ceiling soon at a lot of these schools. Hell, WashU for example has had a top 1% median for about a decade. The real thing to watch is creep on the 10th/25th percentiles. Currently the top schools are enrolling a majority of top 1-2% scores. Give things 5-10 more years, and I think highly competitive schools will be enrolling only students with those scores. This same phenomenon happened a little while back with admissions to the top undergrads. Ivy league schools used to have mostly high SAT scores, but also a left side to the distribution that dipped surprisingly low to scoop up the people who were remarkable in other areas. Now, they've all got interquartile ranges that are entirely in the top 1-2%.

Schools jumping headfirst into this trend in just the last couple years (e.g. UCLA, Mayo) are going to have M1 classes that look VERY different from the M4s above them. UCLA is an especially interesting example, since they just set a new hard cutoff that would have denied more than a quarter of their current students from ever being considered for admission.

Holistic is on the way out. "HoLiStIc" is on the way in. You want to get those top school interviews? Your list of priorities should now be:

#1 - MCAT
#2 - MCAT
#3 - MCAT
#4 - GPA
#5 - App narrative/holistic appeal

Reactions: 9 users
Pediction: Medians are going to start hitting a ceiling soon at a lot of these schools. Hell, WashU for example has had a top 1% median for about a decade. The real thing to watch is creep on the 10th/25th percentiles. Currently the top schools are enrolling a majority of top 1-2% scores. Give things 5-10 more years, and I think highly competitive schools will be enrolling only students with those scores. This same phenomenon happened a little while back with admissions to the top undergrads. Ivy league schools used to have mostly high SAT scores, but also a left side to the distribution that dipped surprisingly low to scoop up the people who were remarkable in other areas. Now, they've all got interquartile ranges that are entirely in the top 1-2%.

Schools jumping headfirst into this trend in just the last couple years (e.g. UCLA, Mayo) are going to have M1 classes that look VERY different from the M4s above them. UCLA is an especially interesting example, since they just set a new hard cutoff that would have denied more than a quarter of their current students from ever being considered for admission.

Holistic is on the way out. "HoLiStIc" is on the way in. You want to get those top school interviews? Your list of priorities should now be:

#1 - MCAT
#2 - MCAT
#3 - MCAT
#4 - GPA
#5 - App narrative/holistic appeal

What bothers me the most about this is that top MCAT scores are slippery. Someone scoring a 524 can score a 517 one week later. You only have to miss one or two questions to slip down 2-3 points. So if you get lucky and the test ends up working in your favor with regard to the content that you are strong in then you've got a huge, inherent advantage. Yet it now seems that these schools are differentiating between a 518, 520, 523, 525....

Reactions: 14 users
What bothers me the most about this is that top MCAT scores are slippery. Someone scoring a 518 can score a 524 one week later. You only have to miss one or two questions to slip down 2-3 points. So if you get lucky and the test ends up working in your favor with regard to the content that you are strong in then you've got a huge, inherent advantage.
Yeah, it's pretty crazy that a 95th percentile score (517) is treated very different than a 99th (~522), when there's really no chance you could tell them apart in a classroom. Same thing happened with college admissions, where some places now have average ACT scores of 34 (top 1%) and will skip over you for having only a 30 (top 5%).

Anybody with half a brain has to realize this behavior makes no sense, but I believe admissions committees do have at least half a brain, and yet they still do it. It's got to be external pressures that have created this situation. Rankings algorithms and/or comparison tools, like US News and MSAR, lead applicants to compare schools by stats first and foremost. Schools have to respond to how they're being assessed. If you're an admissions committee and you want your school to stay ahead in the current admissions metagame, you have to max out your stats, regardless of whether it gives you the ideal classroom of students.

Reactions: 11 users