MSAR: Research- vs. Service-Focused Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

altitude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering whether the MSAR provides any clear indication on whether each school primarily has a research or community service focus (or places a high values on having meaning and loads of research or volunteer experiences)?

I know that this is subjective to some extent and schools could value both equally, but I'm sure that those with lots of research experience will choose more research-oriented schools whereas those with a lot of service experience will choose some more service-oriented schools.
So, if the MSAR doesn't clearly outline this, is the best bet checking each school's website, or is there some other "list"?

Members don't see this ad.

On the MSAR, there's a section that tells the percentage of matriculates who did research, clinical volunteering, and non clinical volunteering.

I think more research heavy schools will have a higher percentage of students who did research (>93%) and lower percentage that have done nonclinical volunteering (<75%)