Msc Health Policy LSHTM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dd1231

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
about myself
Secondary edu :92.75%
Bachelors in Arts : Economics with Honors
Masters in Arts :Economics with Honors 80.28 % Silver Medalist , India
TOEL: yet to take
GRE: don't know if i shoud give right now or not
Internships : Public Health Foundation Of India 4 months
data analyst at Kalawati Saran hospital for kids with Sever Acute Malnutrition, ongoing
Volunteer at ART clinic for kids with HIV , ongoing
Worked with differently abled kids in turkey for 2 months

Since this is the intitial phase of venturing into Health sector i though i should get a hands on experience by working in this sector. i wish to apply for Msc Health policy in LSHTM and a similar course in LSE. I also am trying to find for scholarships i might me eligible for the same . they both are one year programs. planning to appy in dec

After this degree i would like to do an MPH from US most likely. My ultimate Goal is MPH fro JHU or Harvard but i think i=right now my resume isnt up to mark for it.

Any advice??

Members don't see this ad.

about myself
Secondary edu :92.75%
Bachelors in Arts : Economics with Honors
Masters in Arts :Economics with Honors 80.28 % Silver Medalist , India
TOEL: yet to take
GRE: don't know if i shoud give right now or not
Internships : Public Health Foundation Of India 4 months
data analyst at Kalawati Saran hospital for kids with Sever Acute Malnutrition, ongoing
Volunteer at ART clinic for kids with HIV , ongoing
Worked with differently abled kids in turkey for 2 months

Since this is the intitial phase of venturing into Health sector i though i should get a hands on experience by working in this sector. i wish to apply for Msc Health policy in LSHTM and a similar course in LSE. I also am trying to find for scholarships i might me eligible for the same . they both are one year programs. planning to appy in dec

After this degree i would like to do an MPH from US most likely. My ultimate Goal is MPH fro JHU or Harvard but i think i=right now my resume isnt up to mark for it.

Any advice??

It sounds like you are doing great work, and I am sure you will do well wherever you decide to matriculate.

The Harvard MPH requires a doctoral-level degree or, if only with a masters degree, extensive professional experience. However, it has been my impression that the MPH at Harvard prefers applicants with a doctoral degree, especially in medicine.

If your intended goal is to pursue the MSc in Health Policy at LSHTM, I am not clear on why you would also want to eventually pursue the MPH. At the end you will have a MA, MSc, and MPH, which, quite frankly, is a lot of masters degrees. Why not pursue a doctoral-level degree?

Hi thanks for the advice.
I know MPH programs encompasses health policy and mgt as well. I dont think with my current resume id get into any good MPH program . That lead me to believe that an Msc in Health economics and other such programs would give me a clear picture and a better chance of getting in an MPH program.

Seeing and working at the ground level under different projects id like to work in the policy making realm or the Administrative office of organizations. But i dont know if a post doc would be required ? plus research scares me a little

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you see yourself doing 10 years from now? Will the MPH degree be necessary, or will your MSc from LSHTM be sufficient?

If I'm not mistaken, to get into Hopkins MPH, you either need to have a doctoral level degree, be a med or law student, or have 2 years of experience after undergraduate experience. Instead of looking at getting more education before applying to these MPH programs, why not try and get some really good work experience? Your internship at PHFI is a great start. Now try to get something like an internship at WHO in Geneva, Switzerland, or other international NGOs and international organizations? Harness your PHFI contacts and see if they can get you a good internship. Studying in London for a year just to make you competitive for an MPH is not cheap (London is expensive).

I wish to work at the policy making department of a government org or a UN organization .

I did get through an Internship at the UNAIDS Headquarters but since i am not being paid for it i can afford only a months stay there . I am going there this September. I wish there were scholarships that could support my stay there then i could have completed the three months or more time frame. :(
Health Policy from LSHTM seems like good career option cause after completing that i would want to work for 2-3 years before i decide my final degree of study .

What do you think?

I assume UNAIDS HQ is in Geneva, Switzerland? That is indeed a very expensive city to live in (it's in the list of top 10 most expensive cities worldwide). Make sure you make some awesome contacts with the short time you have there. Depending on who you meet, those contacts might be worth more than any degree you ever get. More than likely, there are people in this world who can do what you do just as well as you. Knowing people is what will get you the job you want, rather than what you know or the degrees you have. Connections mean so much in public health (and many disciplines).

The about LSHTM is that it's one of the best places to study global public health/policy. You can make so many connections there with UN organizations and international organizations since the school is so well connected (keep in mind, you have to go seek them out and work hard, the connections won't just come to you).

I'm honestly not sure about getting an MPH after the MSc. It will be very expensive, especially at American schools. It still may not hurt to apply to those American MPH schools, if you're eligible for them. You can go to LSHTM, and use the time at LSHTM to decide if you need to get another degree. You shouldn't consider one guy you're talking to on the internet a good source of career advice, but I still think LSHTM would be a great start. Make connections there, work with people/researchers, see if they can get you connected to jobs you want. I think work experience will be crucial before you decide to go back for another degree, or if you want to work your way up to the UN. You may realize during your time at LSHTM that you don't need another degree like an MPH. If you want to go for a PhD, that is something totally different, though it can certainly help you with moving up the ladder in many organizations.