MSI Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FutureUtahDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: If you want to post negative comments look for another thread.

As I am nearing the end of year 1 I am looking to come up with a summer schedule for review. Topics we have finished include:
Oncology
Microbiology
Immunology
Pharm (pertaining to the above topics)
Anatomy
Physiology
Behavioral Science

I'm looking for study aids/guides/flashcards/study schedules/advice for covering these topics. I want to get in a detailed board-style review and learn the material the best I can BEFORE I start 2nd year (Yes, I'm aware boards aren't until the end of 2nd year so there is no need to remind me). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

By the way, our Micro course was extremely unorganized. Does anybody have any good lists of microorganisms that I need to know for the USMLE?

(When I say unorganized, I mean way unorganized)

If you're not looking for constructive criticism (i.e., "negative comments"), perhaps you shouldn't ask questions. You'll never learn anything if all you want to hear is that you're doing the right thing or your opinion is correct or whatever. Just sayin'.

At this point, First Aid is the best review source. You might also read back through the phys BRS. I wouldn't bother with anything else since you haven't had any pathology. For the record, this isn't going to do you a whole lot of good. You'll retain next to none of what you do this summer by the time you start reviewing for Step 1. Your time would be better spent sitting around and relaxing or doing research if you're bent on staying on the academic side of things.

You certainly won't get any negative comments from me. In fact, I wish there were more students like you!

By studying over the summer instead of enjoying the beach, traveling internationally, or doing something else you enjoy, it is very likely that you will burn yourself out badly!! You'll have less energy for second year and for studying when it really comes time to put the work in for the boards. This means that you'll be out of my way as competition and I'll have one less person to worry about trying to best in getting a residency spot down the road.

This year there were more MD students trying to scramble than there were spots in the scramble. It's getting brutal out there. So I would like to commend you for your plan, and am calling upon other MSI's to study hard over the summer just like you. Believe me, we could all use the reduction in competition!

/sarc

Seriously though, I know you don't want "negative comments" (which is just silly because it indicates you refuse to be open to advice from people more experienced than you), but I have heard literally dozens of > MSI's advise that studying over the summer was the biggest waste of time ever, and exactly zero advise that it was worthwhile. But maybe you know best. Let us all know how it works out.

Members don't see this ad :)
man you kinda set yourself up for this from line 1...

if you're worried about getting into a competitive residency, do research. as mentioned above, you're not going to retain much of what you study this summer. but if it makes you feel better, i guess no one can stop you. look for book suggestions in the Step 1 forum.

I've honestly considered doing some light review over MS1-2 summer. It's bothersome how much stuff just seems to "go out the window" once a class is over, especially considering how soon rotations start.

So, I'll be the first to give a constructive suggestion.

While I do agree that your primary concern should be to relax over summer, I think that it may be worth skimming through much of your material from first year. Maybe in BRS or something. Not "studying" it, but skimming. And, so long as everything makes sense, don't worry about it. But, if you hit a section that really seems to have escaped you, maybe give that some effort.

Honestly, I think you could "review" your entire year in a week if you're just skimming through the various BRS texts. So, over the course of three months, I'm sure you'll still have plenty of time for fun.

Disclaimer: If you want to post negative comments look for another thread.

As I am nearing the end of year 1 I am looking to come up with a summer schedule for review. Topics we have finished include:
Oncology
Microbiology
Immunology
Pharm (pertaining to the above topics)
Anatomy
Physiology
Behavioral Science

I'm looking for study aids/guides/flashcards/study schedules/advice for covering these topics. I want to get in a detailed board-style review and learn the material the best I can BEFORE I start 2nd year (Yes, I'm aware boards aren't until the end of 2nd year so there is no need to remind me). Thanks!

If you want advice, do something fun this summer for at least half the time.

If you want review books, get Clinical Micro Made Ridic Simple and learn all the micro and pharm associated with that. That would be a pretty productive summer if you ask me.

Hey thanks for the advice douchebags!
BTW, there is a difference between "negative posts" and "contructive criticism"...*******.
I thought I would try the studentdoc network for some advice, but clearly that's not what you people use it for. How did you get into med school with the rude attitudes you possess?

I'm done with this student doctor thing; You all must be the kids in the med school class that nobody likes because you are all so full of yourselves. Thanks for nothing.

Thanks for nothing.

As an MS2 I can vouch that they gave you the best advice. I am so happy that I traveled over summer after first year and didn't even think of Step1, knowing that this summer I'm going to be stuck in a prison cell.

And if you don't like their advice, then do what you want...Jerkoff

Status
Not open for further replies.