MSK Radiology Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rad100

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am deciding between Mallinckrodt and HSS for MSK Radiology Fellowship and am having a very hard time making a final decision. I really liked both programs and the fellows I talked to seem happy at each of their respective programs.

Mallinckrodt does a big variety of procedures, which is attractive to me but of course HSS is HSS in New York. HSS is also ACGME accredited (not sure if this is important as most fellowships I saw for MSK were not accredited).

I was wondering if anyone might have some insight into these programs (malignant nature of the programs, balance of cases seen at the programs) that might help me make my decision.

Of note, I think I would like to go into academics in the future.

Thanks so much!
 
HSS. MIR fellowship can be malignant from what I was told. Did not apply there for IR.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I actually want to move to the West Coast. Does one have a stronger reputation on the West Coast, especially in California?

Then do a fellowship in UCSD or Stanford.

Both of the programs that you mentioned are solid but no practice is going to chose you because you went to one rather than the other. And don't get surprised if they chose a local fellow at a mid tier program like USC over you.
 
HSS. MIR fellowship can be malignant from what I was told. Did not apply there for IR.

Funny when I interviewed at HSS in 2010, they were known to be malignant. One of their better known attending's also apparently limited how much MR dictating fellows did and preferred that they simply observed. Maybe things have changed.
 
I interview at HSS in 2012 and had the same experience as vm26. Fellows didn't dictate... They shadowed. They didn't do arthrograms. Their reports were very obscure: a lot of clinically insignificant findings that are only seen with 3T magnets, obscure protocols. It was a joke. Definitely not a MSK fellowship to prepare you for private practice...