Program-Specific Info / Q's MSOT vs MOT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BKlimczyk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference between an MSOT and an MOT Program/Degree.
I've seen lots of discussions on MOT/MSOT vs OTD but can't find info. on MSOT vs MOT.
I know you end up with the same OT vs OTD after your name.
Is the curriculum the difference? If so, how so?
Thanks in Advance : )

Members don't see this ad.

Great question and I'm curious to know the answer. I did some googling myself and Colorado State University offers both MSOT and MOT programs. It sounds like their MSOT degree has an emphasis on research and the MOT does not. Not sure if this is representative of all MSOT and MOT programs though. Google these words: colorado state university occupational therapy master's programs
(I can't post the link because, apparently, I don't have enough credentials on SDN yet to do that)

I copied and pasted the question and response from the AOTA FAQ's (under OT education and career planning):

2. What is the difference between an MOT, MA, or MS degree that is awarded at the completion of my master's degree program?
These are all appropriate degrees to award at the completion of an entry-level occupational therapy educational program. The degree awarded is an institutional prerogative based on consistency with the mission and structure of the college or university. All are considered entry-level degrees, although the MOT designation is more commonly used to designate an entry-level degree.

I'm not sure how helpful this response was, but I thought I'd share it in case anyone hadn't seen this yet :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone tell me the difference between an MSOT and an MOT Program/Degree.
I've seen lots of discussions on MOT/MSOT vs OTD but can't find info. on MSOT vs MOT.
I know you end up with the same OT vs OTD after your name.
Is the curriculum the difference? If so, how so?
Thanks in Advance : )
This is an excellent question. From what I know or could deduce from my research into various programs as stated above, all will allow you to obtain an entry level job as an OT. MSOT is a Masters of Science in OT and MOT is a Masters of OT. If you look at the courses for the MSOT I believe it is more research based than an MAOT or MOT. That is not saying that the MOT programs do not have research courses, but it is not as much of a focus. So if you enjoy research or intend to go back and get your OTD you may want to consider the MSOT. Otherwise, if you are simply looking to obtain an entry level OT job and do hands on work, then I would focus more on the feel of the program and what works best for you, don't focus on the letters. I know this is not a lot of info, but I hope it was helpful. Best of luck in your endeavors!

MOT=Master in Occupational Therapy
MSOT=Master of Science in Occupational Therapy
In my experience, MSOT had a much more greater importance in clinical science as opposed to research.