MSPE: Question re: abstracts vs. posters vs. presentations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m854329

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but I'm confused as to what the MSPE is asking for with "abstracts" vs. posters vs. presentations. For example #1, I have research that was accepted as an abstract and then I was offered to give an oral presentation of that same work. So, does that count as both 1) an abstract + 2) oral presentation if it's at the same conference? And I list it twice?

Example #2 - I had a poster accepted for presentation at a conference + the poster 'abstract' was published in the conference materials. Again, is that both 1) an abstract + 2) poster presentation?

I guess I'm confused as to what would be just an abstract alone, as it seems that all the conferences I've been to abstracts end up also being either a poster presentation or an oral presentation.

Or maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about?

Thanks y'all

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes only the abstract gets published without it being presented anywhere. In your case you would list #1 as an oral presentation only and #2 as a poster presentation only

Sometimes only the abstract gets published without it being presented anywhere. In your case you would list #1 as an oral presentation only and #2 as a poster presentation only

So basically, if there's overlap, you preferentially pick presentation then poster then abstract? Also, what if your poster gets accepted for a conference, but you don't end up going. Does that count for anything?

Thanks by the way, I was always confused by abstract/poster/presentation

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So basically, if there's overlap, you preferentially pick presentation then poster then abstract? Also, what if your poster gets accepted for a conference, but you don't end up going. Does that count for anything?

Thanks by the way, I was always confused by abstract/poster/presentation

As long as someone presents the project you still get credit for your work making it to a poster/podium presentation.

As long as someone presents the project you still get credit for your work making it to a poster/podium presentation.

If one of our abstracts is submitted for presentation, but I am not the one presenting--I thought that is listed as abstract for the non-presenters, but a presentation for the presenter.

Source: from what I saw from current MS4 and resident CVs.

I had an a poster that I couldn't present and my school had me list it as a poster. This was 4 years ago and I could be mistaken

The way it was explained to me is if you have a poster accepted, it assumed your abstract is accepted. So you don't list that separately. List the poster. If it is an abstract only but no poster or presentation or paper accepted for conference or publication then you will add it to being an abstract accepted

Here's a good thread from a couple years ago.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/abstract-poster-presentation-oral-presentation.555186/

From what I understand:
-Do not list things twice. If accepted as abstract + presentation, list it as a presentation.
-If you did not present, do not list it as presentation. (from atsai3)
-Don't try to upsell, people can see through it. People will (can) recognize whether it is presented at a society conference or some random research day of your school.

I disagree with the "if you did not personally present do not list it." That's like saying you can't list a paper if you're not first author. Maybe that was the case when the thread was first created but if you look later many people disagree with that advice.

I disagree with the "if you did not personally present do not list it." That's like saying you can't list a paper if you're not first author. Maybe that was the case when the thread was first created but if you look later many people disagree with that advice.

Agreed. At the resident level and higher you list the poster if your name was on the author list. Who presents it is irrelevant.

Reactions: 1 user