MSSM Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Catalyst

Enjoying Life
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize this may be a little premature, but I figured I'd go ahead and start a thread for those of us planning to head up to Sinai next year! I get more excited everytime I think about starting there in the Fall: diverse hospitals, diverse patient population, pass/fail, laid-back atmosphere, NYC, damn good housing, I could go on and on..

For those of you planning to go, what made you particularly interested in the school? Also, has anyone heard about a second look weekend?

Members don't see this ad.

Heck yeah, who else is pumped about possibly spending four years at MSSM in NYC next year? I second everything that my boy Sachin has said. :thumbup:

Need more info on the second look weekend, though. Anything anyone has to say would be appreciated.

I'm in. I agree with all that was said and to add a few things: The dorms are very close to the hospital. The hospital is awesome with amazing technology. The school is inside the hospital (no trekking back and forth or taking a bus for instance).

I'm looking foward to spending ANOTHER 4 years here in the city :) Moving from West to East, but definitely looking forward to it. Are you all 100% set on going to MSSM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I definitely also loved how close the dorms were to the hospital and the fact that everything was so interconnected..

I've wanted to head up to NYC since the beginning of this application process and can't wait to live there.. I'm definitely a city person (I grew up just outside D.C.) and love NYC everytime I'm there for even a short visit! I'm almost 100% sure I'm going to MSSM, I'm just waiting to hear from Cornell and am currently on the Columbia waitlist--those are the only two schools I would definitely attend over Sinai

How have you liked living in NYC the past four years? I've heard tons of horror stories about how expensive it is (my cousin is currently at Einstein), but am curious to hear more about daily life there as a student

What up guys, looks like I'll be at Sinai next year...coming from Los Angeles...where are all of you people from? Do you guys know what the exams are like? Block? staggered?

P.S. I'm very excited!

Wow, Los Angeles is pretty far away, looking forward to moving to NYC? I'm from Maryland but I went to the University of Virginia. It seems that the exams are scheduled on a two-science block system; I've actually heard gross anatomy is pretty awesome at sinai (though I hope that the whole cadaver scandal thing doesn't affect our curriculum at all)

Any current Sinai students care to share their thoughts/experiences?

Originally posted by SachinG
How have you liked living in NYC the past four years? I've heard tons of horror stories about how expensive it is (my cousin is currently at Einstein), but am curious to hear more about daily life there as a student

I really enjoy living in the city. There is an absurd amount of stuff to do. When people travel, they often visit NY, so you can see friends and family more often (they're more likely to visit NY than say, Iowa City, Iowa).

As for cost, NY is expensive. There is no way around that. Some areas of the city are cheaper than others, especially around college campuses. But these areas are def. more expensive than similar areas around other college campuses would be. I personally think that the worst part about the cost of living in the city is food. That really drains the wallet. Subway fares have increased to 2 dollars a ride and cab fares are expected to take a 20-30% hike in a few months.

When did you guys find out? Interviewed 1/28 and I'm still waiting to hear :(

i might as well join in, as of now i'm planning on going to MSSM. but like SachinG i'm on a few waitlists of schools i would love to go to.

anyway, i really liked the students i had a chance to meet at mt sinai, really friendly and down to earth. seemed really happy to be there.

by the way, have u all filed out the finaid info for mssm? i got the packet last week (which i'm kind of pissed about, i got the acceptance email in november and the acceptance package last week, what's up with that?). the forms look like they're gonna take some time, oh well, better get to it

I was actually going to ask about financial aid... I haven't received my acceptance packet yet since I'm in Maryland and not at my place at UVa... rCubed: is the application for financial assistance in your acceptance packet the same as the one available online? (http://www.mssm.edu/students/financial_aid/pdf/application.pdf)I want to get all the paperwork for the financial aid done while I'm on spring break and not have to wait till I get back to UVa to start it all. What other forms are there to fill out besides MSSM's application for financial assistance? I've heard that MSSM is pretty good with their financial aid and that it is actually one of the cheaper private schools to attend, can anyone verify this?

ashtie, I actually interviewed 1/29 and was e-mailed 2/20 about being accepted. I hope this helps

Hey possible future colleagues,

I?m about 60% sure I?m attending MSSM (the other 40% belongs to USC). I?m also coming from southern california, and very excited about NYC. But like some of you, I am on a couple of waitlists for schools I would attend before MSSM.

I called about the second look weekend a month back, and they told me sometime in April... that?s coming up really soon. I think I need to call again but if anyone has any info, it would be much appreciated.

Originally posted by chapinsita
Hey possible future colleagues,

I?m about 60% sure I?m attending MSSM (the other 40% belongs to USC). I?m also coming from southern california, and very excited about NYC. But like some of you, I am on a couple of waitlists for schools I would attend before MSSM.

I called about the second look weekend a month back, and they told me sometime in April... that?s coming up really soon. I think I need to call again but if anyone has any info, it would be much appreciated.

Chapinsita, you'll pick Mount Sinai over UCSD, right? Is it because you don't like UCSD's curriculum, location, or some other facts? I think most Californians I know would have wanna stayed in California.

Seems like there are a lot of californians coming to Sinai! About the second look, I'm planning to call the school today to find out... I'd really like to book any train or plane tickets early if possible. I'll post the response I get soon

Members don't see this ad :)
I have some solid news regarding a second look at Sinai...

I just spoke with Ms. Bailey (definitely one of the nicest admissions directors I've met :D) and she said that she's way behind on sending out an e-mail about the second look but she probably will do so sometime next week. They're not going to have a formal weekend or anything set aside for the second look; what they will do is have a 4-week period between the second week of April and the second week of May in which students can schedule at their own convenience when they want to come. They will then live with a student representative in the dorms for a night who they will shadow the following day. Once the day is over, they will then have the opportunity to speak with Ms. Bailey or Dean Barnett for 15-20 mins afterward about any questions/comments they may have. She mentioned some organized activities specifically for the 2nd look, but I don't think she's completely gotten those together yet. Info on all this will be going out soon to all acceptees, so sit tight.

Alright, back to my thesis!

That's weird that you just got the financial aid package, rcubed. :confused: I was accepted a month later than you, but got my package in the mail post-marked for Feb. 6th. The office needs to get its act together. Anyway, here's the deal on the financial aid on for those who were wondering: For need-based aid and institutional loans, they want a copy of your 2003 tax forms, your parents' 2003 tax forms, and the four page online MSSM supplement. I'm planning on finally sending off the forms today because my dad just got around to finishing his taxes.

I'm not 100% sure that I'm going to be at Sinai next year, because it's going to depend somewhat on the kind of financial aid they give me (not expecting much, regardless) versus other schools. If I had to give an estimate on my probability of being there, I'd say around 70%. :)

Thanks for the second look weekend inquiry, Sachin. I'll be on the lookout for Director Bailey's email. Did she mention if they were going to be paying for it, or would we have to book the plane tix, etc.?

Originally posted by TheFlash
That's weird that you just got the financial aid package, rcubed. :confused: I was accepted a month later than you, but got my package in the mail post-marked for Feb. 6th. The office needs to get its act together. Anyway, here's the deal on the financial aid on for those who were wondering: For need-based aid and institutional loans, they want a copy of your 2003 tax forms, your parents' 2003 tax forms, and the four page online MSSM supplement. I'm planning on finally sending off the forms today because my dad just got around to finishing his taxes.

I'm not 100% sure that I'm going to be at Sinai next year, because it's going to depend somewhat on the kind of financial aid they give me (not expecting much, regardless) versus other schools. If I had to give an estimate on my probability of being there, I'd say around 70%. :)

Thanks for the second look weekend inquiry, Sachin. I'll be on the lookout for Director Bailey's email. Did she mention if they were going to be paying for it, or would we have to book the plane tix, etc.?

don't we also need to fill out the Need Access information on the internet? that's what it says on the sheet that they sent along. its pretty straight forward, just time consuming

here's the link for those of you that haven't received the package yet: http://accessgroup.com
we have to fill out the need access forms and designate Mt Sinai to receive the information, another 15 bucks down the drain, but hey, if it gets me more money in the long run happy to do it :)

and also, when i was interviewing there they mentioned some full tuition scholarships. can we apply for those or do they just choose on their own? one of those and i'd give up my waitlist positions :)

thanx for the financial aid info rCubed.... as per the scholarship info, I remember at my interview day the financial aid director saying that sinai gives out two full scholarships (acceptees don't apply for them) and these scholarships are used primarily as recruiting tools

off to fill out needaccess

Originally posted by rCubed
don't we also need to fill out the Need Access information on the internet? that's what it says on the sheet that they sent along. its pretty straight forward, just time consuming

here's the link for those of you that haven't received the package yet: http://accessgroup.com
we have to fill out the need access forms and designate Mt Sinai to receive the information, another 15 bucks down the drain, but hey, if it gets me more money in the long run happy to do it :)

and also, when i was interviewing there they mentioned some full tuition scholarships. can we apply for those or do they just choose on their own? one of those and i'd give up my waitlist positions :)

Ooh yeah, I almost forgot about that pesky need access website. I did that a while back. Good catch rcubed! :thumbup:

Yeah, if I scored one of those full merit scholarships, I'd withdraw from all other schools on a dime. Too bad that there are only like two of those. :(

Is anyone deciding between Sinai and NYU? I know that the comparison is pretty cliche, but I'd love to hear the thoughts of people actually having to make the decision.

bump, don't you die on me thread

Originally posted by jaycee
Is anyone deciding between Sinai and NYU? I know that the comparison is pretty cliche, but I'd love to hear the thoughts of people actually having to make the decision.

Well, I'm not really in the position to outright decide between the two, since I ate the waitlist at NYU, but even if I had the choice, I'd probably pick MSSM. The only clear cut advantage I feel NYU has over MSSM is in its trendier location. Let's face it, it's probably got the most fun location in the country. Still, MSSM's Upper East Side locale is nothing to shake a stick at.

I'd definitely pick the student body, living situation/dorms, hospital system, research network and faculty of MSSM over NYU. Both schools are pass/fail, have a moderate amount of lecture time and share a comparable national reputation, so they're about even in that respect I'd say.

Good luck with your decision.

hmm, guess this thread will pick up when all the non-rolling schools' decisions are out... anyone else planning to go to mssm?

Like Flash, I'm not in a position to decide either. I'm only in at sinai and WL at NYU. But, differing from Flash, if I got in of the WL to NYU this summer, I would definitely be going. I really liked both hospitals and both student bodies really impressed me as a fun group of hard-working yet laid back and very cool people. I gotta disagree that MSSM faculty are superior to NYU's since being a New Yorker, I usually hear of distinguished faculty at NYU. Not that MSSM doesn't, its just NYU is heard more, IMHO. Also, MS is a younger school with a tradition that goes not as far back. The bottom line is it would be a true honor to attend either of them, but NYU wins by a nose in the race in my mind.

Originally posted by Gollum
I gotta disagree that MSSM faculty are superior to NYU's since being a New Yorker, I usually hear of distinguished faculty at NYU. Not that MSSM doesn't, its just NYU is heard more, IMHO.

I live in NY too and I definitely hear more MSSM researchers and doctors being quoted than from NYU, but it could just be here at my school. I think, though, that faculty and reputation are about equal for both schools and in the end it probably comes down to location. I didn't even apply to NYU so I luckily don't have to make this decision. I feel, though, that MSSM offers more of a "in-the-city, but not quite" feel than would NYU. NYU is in a trendier neighborhood with a lot more going on. Sinai is a little more removed from the hustle and bustle of the city (to an extent of course).

That's just my 2 cents.

when I interviewed with nyu, I actually loved it and thought of it as my #1 choice with columbia (that is, until I saw sinai and cornell on back-to-back days).. I got waitlisted, but if I had the choice, I think the following would be going through my mind: 1) based on my relatively superficial understanding of the student body, mssm students were more relaxed, though only by a slight margin as compared to nyu students 2) nyu's location is definitely better, though its housing certainly was not 3) nyu's reputation in the medical community is arguably as good or better than that of mssm (take a look at their match list, it's not too shabby) 4) both serve extremely diverse patient populations, though training at bellevue would a huge plus 5) mssm seems to have better financial aid packages from my understanding than nyu and 6) my interview experiences were the same at both schools: I definitely think I'd be happy at either institution

this whole debate between mssm and nyu is also reminding me of a question I had: since mssm had that merger with nyu for financial purposes, do mssm students have access to nyu undergrad facilities? I think I remember hearing at my interview day that mssm students do, but I was wondering if anyone happened to know for a fact

The MSSM and NYU merger is currently being dissolved.

Thanks for the thoughtful opinions, guys. I think the two schools have a lot of the same attributes and attract a similar type of student. The funny thing is, when I interviewed at Sinai, the dean of education offhandedly commented that NYU and Sinai are so different that anyone struggling to figure out which would be a better fit would have to be a very "unsophisticated customer." Ah well.

Sachin, I'm 95% sure that Sinai students do not have access to NYU undergrad facilities. I'm pretty certain that the only NYU assets available to Sinai students are some of the electronic databases.

To those planning on going to MSSM next year...

any idea when the drug test has to be completed by?

Originally posted by Mike341
To those planning on going to MSSM next year...

any idea when the drug test has to be completed by?

Hmm, good question. I think it would be a good idea if you called the admissions office to ask, and left your name and AMCAS # for good measure, that would probably work :laugh: j/k I actually would like to know the answer to this question as well if anyone knows

Where are the current Sinai students? help some prospies out!

Im on Sinai's waitlist and all you goons are already in. Gah! Any word on when the waitlist might move and what my chances are of getting off of it?

so it seems that not many of us are 100% sure that we're going to MSSM. uggh..waiting lists suck. i just want to go know for sure where i'll be next fall, can't stand the uncertainty
well, i seem to be on the nyu WL with a lot of u, and SachinG i'm on the columbia WL too. keeping my fingers crossed fr all of us

so it seems that not many of us are 100% sure that we're going to MSSM. uggh..waiting lists suck. i just want to go know for sure where i'll be next fall, can't stand the uncertainty
well, i seem to be on the nyu WL with a lot of u, and SachinG i'm on the columbia WL too. keeping my fingers crossed fr all of us

rCubed, would you attend nyu over mssm if pulled off the waiting list? I was waitlisted but chose not to go on that one because I figured mssm and nyu were essentially similar.. columbia on the other hand is a completely different school

I have constantly heard about what a plus Bellevue is for NYU, but what is so special about that hospital? I know its an old hospital. Does it look old inside too or does it have cutting edge technology? Or is Bellevue great because that is where the poor and insured of NY are treated, therefore great clinical exposure for the students? What makes Bellevue better than Mt Sinai?

Originally posted by SachinG
rCubed, would you attend nyu over mssm if pulled off the waiting list? I was waitlisted but chose not to go on that one because I figured mssm and nyu were essentially similar.. columbia on the other hand is a completely different school

i think i'd stick to mssm, it just seemed more right to me than nyu (pure gut feeling) i actually decided this just last week and will soon be withdrawing from the nyu waitlist

yeah, i agree that columbia is different. do u have any idea how that waitlist moves? i'm on two waitlists that are just killing me: columbia and jhu, i would give anything (almost) to go to either of these schools

in addition, what are opinions on mssm vs albert einstein?

Originally posted by secretmiss
I have constantly heard about what a plus Bellevue is for NYU, but what is so special about that hospital? I know its an old hospital. Does it look old inside too or does it have cutting edge technology? Or is Bellevue great because that is where the poor and insured of NY are treated, therefore great clinical exposure for the students? What makes Bellevue better than Mt Sinai?

The main things I've heard that are special about Bellevue are 1) its tradition and history of being the first public hospital in NYC 2) serving a HUGE poor, uninsured, diverse patient population 3) students having a large amount of responsibility since the hospital is primarily run by residents

i think i'd stick to mssm, it just seemed more right to me than nyu (pure gut feeling) i actually decided this just last week and will soon be withdrawing from the nyu waitlist

yeah, i agree that columbia is different. do u have any idea how that waitlist moves? i'm on two waitlists that are just killing me: columbia and jhu, i would give anything (almost) to go to either of these schools

there are a ton of threads about columbia's waitlist, the main idea that I've garnered is that a waitlistee should show mucho interest if he/she is serious that columbia is #1 and that there is an element of chance in getting off (esp. with Dr. Frantz's whims about who should be at columbia)

in addition, what are opinions on mssm vs albert einstein?

MSSM is in a different league overall. I don't mean to be curt, but einstein was a dump. Its only plus was an opportunity to eventually get out of the bronx to do rounds at lenix. Better match lists at Sinai - true, east of sinai isn't so hot either, but its much closer to the action than einstein... although einstein's transplant dept. wasn't shut down for several months. I would still choose sinai.

watch out for die-hard yankee fans that respond, as they may be biased.

FYI, MSSM is currently coming off its best match list in the history of the school. IMO, better than NYU's corresponding match for last year.

Originally posted by CalBeE
Chapinsita, you'll pick Mount Sinai over UCSD, right? Is it because you don't like UCSD's curriculum, location, or some other facts? I think most Californians I know would have wanna stayed in California.

I decided to not attend UCSD for a few reasons. First, I feel that they are really reluctant to change their old antiquated curriculum. I mentioned this during the interview, and asked about potential disadvantages since all other medical schools are moving forward with innovative changes. The response was "if it ain?t broke, why fix it." But I think more along the lines of "if it can be better, why not change it." Another reason, I didn?t like the anatomy 2nd year. I feel that it?s important to know what you are dealing with your first year. Finally, I didn?t feel that I fit in there. I felt that there was a lack of diversity, not ethnic diversity, but all students seemed to be from the same social and geographical background. They emphasized the student run clinics so much that it made me think that?s all they have going for them. Many other schools have student run clinics too, but it seems to be just a detail in a long list rather than a "amazing attribute" as UCSD tried to make it.

This is just my opinion and is in no way an insult to UCSD or any of its students. It just wasn?t for me and I?m willing to sacrifice the California sun for a school in which I feel I will be happier. :D

chapinsita! Now there's a user that hasn't been around much recently. Hopefully UCSF works out. :)

Hey Flash! Thanks!

I?ve been studying abroad in the southern hemishpere where it?s summer (thus explaining my absence from SDN). Good to see you on this thread! Maybe we?ll be classmates!

hey guys, i'm just looking through the housing info at sinai and what are walk-up buildings? i know this might sound stupid, but r they buildings without elevators?

what are walk-up buildings?
Yup, they're buildings without elevators.

Originally posted by chapinsita
Hey Flash! Thanks!

I?ve been studying abroad in the southern hemishpere where it?s summer (thus explaining my absence from SDN). Good to see you on this thread! Maybe we?ll be classmates!

Sweet, I hope you enjoy your stay. :) Make sure to share all your spicy stories with those of us in the less exciting part of the hemisphere.

Yup, they're buildings without elevators.

oh ok, guess my question wasn't that stupid. thanks

how tall do u think these buildings are?

oh ok, guess my question wasn't that stupid. thanks

how tall do u think these buildings are?

Which buildings are you referring to? I know for a fact that Aron Hall, the main residence hall for med students, has an elevator. It's got over 10 stories too, as I recall.

The buildings at MSSM are pretty tall and have elevators.

I should know since I work on the 19th floor ;).