MSSM Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by Mr. Rosewater
so, i'm lucky enough to be in a good position, but i'm kinda confused. i have been accepted to pitt and wl'ed at sinai. i'm also a native ny'er who would like to practice in ny or Li. so, i'm trying to decide if i should start pounding mssm for an acceptance, or be just embrace pitt and forget about ny for a few.

here are some of my pro's for each:

Pitt:
highly regarded/ranked. a much bigger research player than they get credit for (7th in NIH funding).
Cheap cost of living in pburgh.
access to all hospitals in the area.
congenial atmosphere.
awesome sim lab.

Mssm:
takes alot of their own for residency, which is something i'd love.
close to family and friends.
fairly low-stress environment.
greatest city in the world.

and so here i am, unsure of what direction to go. i'd appreciate anyone adding to my list, or just voicing there opinion.

My thoughts on making my decision between pitt and sinai...

Pitt: highly ranked; mssm and pitt match lists seem about equal; probably slightly better than MSSM for research opportunities; curriculum is badass (PBL, lecture, and early clinical experience), area of concentration program is neat; Pittsburgh leaves something to be desired when compared to NYC

MSSM: in an incredible part of NYC where one can work with underserved, diverse populations while still being close enough to all the action of NYC; MSSM had some pretty cool students whom I met; curriculum leaves something to be desired though when compared to pitt in that it's traditional and has a double science block; matches students primarily into reputable programs in NYC, MA, and CA; MSSM is a Doris Duke Fellowship Site so research at MSSM is pretty strong; P/F instead of H/P/F at Pitt, though I don't know how this would actually work out without going through both grading systems

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know about Early decision at MSSM? stats, %'s, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
darkcity -
do you mind if i ask when you interviewed??? CONGRATS!

I'll probably be at MSSM next year (90%). I'm on the waitlist for Cornell and I think I'll stay on it a little into June, but not much after that - I agree with previous posts that the uncertainty sucks. Even if I got into Cornell off of the waitlist, it would probably be a tough decision between that and MSSM. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Also, is anyone going back to MSSM for a second visit?

Hey AD2020, even though MSSM cancelled the 2nd look this weekend, I definitely think at some point I'm going to revisit in April... though I'm not exactly sure how to arrange my visit (i.e. shadowing students, seeing classes, etc.) :confused:

Hey everyone -

I just want to say that I've been following this thread for a while. I will be a PGY-1 resident in the Dental Dept. in July and after reading this thread, I am excited to be coming to Mt. Sinai!

As first year med students, you probably don't do anything remotely related to dental in your curriculum. Unless, of course, you come up there for treatment - I think we are located on the floor right above the med school area. Anyhow, thank you everyone for the information about Sinai & the surrounding area. I currently live in Buffalo and it really sounds like Manhattan will be a fun place!

Any of you have to deal with the housing department yet? I faxed over my housing application last week, and I'm thinking I'll give them till early May to offer me something, or else I'll have to come down to NYC and look for something on my own. Any word from them - or do all first year meds pretty much live in Aron Hall?

Congrats on all your acceptances to MSSM! It sounds like you will have a pretty good med school experience, both academically and socially.

Hey, anyone get financial aid packages yet? I sent my forms in and filled out the awful need access form ages ago...

Originally posted by MedAppGurl
darkcity -
do you mind if i ask when you interviewed??? CONGRATS!

btw Thanks, Flash!!!
MedApp, I interviewed in mid-March. Hope that helps!

Originally posted by amd263
Hey, anyone get financial aid packages yet? I sent my forms in and filled out the awful need access form ages ago...

I think they'll be sent out in about 2 weeks.

Thanks for the link, Facted. This sucks... I was waiting for the financial aid to help decide between sinai / nyu.

Members don't see this ad :)
WTF!! Early June is utter crap, especially with the May 15th deadline. I'm going to call the financial aid office and give them about 327024 pieces of my mind.

I called Mount Sinai this Monday (April 5) to check if all my fin aid materials were in and I was told that they'll be making the financial aid decisions "in two weeks so you should get your information soon."

Sounds like they should make the May 15 deadline...

I called today as well... here's the dilly: The letters should be going out next week for people that got their forms in early. Turns out they'll have almost all the award letters out by May 15th after all. The bad part is that they have no institutional grants available this year (including the two full merit scholarships), and they're going to be more stingy with the need-based aid. It's not like I was getting any anyway. Hooray for loans! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by TheFlash
I called today as well... here's the dilly: The letters should be going out next week for people that got their forms in early. Turns out they'll have almost all the award letters out by May 15th after all. The bad part is that they have no institutional grants available this year (including the two full merit scholarships), and they're going to be more stingy with the need-based aid. It's not like I was getting any anyway. Hooray for loans! :rolleyes:

No institutional grants at all? Isn't that very unusual for a U.S. medical school? Does anyone know if this is related to the school's financial crisis at all? This doesn't make me very happy at all.

Well, need-based grants they're still giving, but they've apparently changed the criteria to make them somewhat harder to obtain. I meant any kind of merit aid has vanished. Sorry for the confusion.

I just called the office and the start day for orientation this year is August 9th if you guys are interested. I asked if we could move in earlier, and I was told we might be able to move in a week earlier, but that I should call Real Estate to make sure (which I haven't). Just thought you guys would like to know.

Rise ye thread! Any new MSSM recruits or thoughts?

sinai, where is my financial aid!!!!

Hey everyone...I promised myself I wouldn't do this and crowd this thread with questions of "this school or this school" - but as May 15th gets closer, I haven't been any closer to making a decision. Help please.

Northwestern or Mount Sinai? Thoughts?

Hi--

I'm in a similar position--trying to decide between MSSM and U Chicago. I really like both schools, and I am torn.

I know that I would like to eventually end up on the east coast, and that is a big factor. I also think that I would rather spend the next four years here as well. But I feel like U of C ( and Northwestern, too) have a better edge in terms of their programs.

But is there really that much of a difference?

I'd love to hear any opinions on this.

Thanks!

Lawrence said:
Hi--

I'm in a similar position--trying to decide between MSSM and U Chicago. I really like both schools, and I am torn.

I know that I would like to eventually end up on the east coast, and that is a big factor. I also think that I would rather spend the next four years here as well. But I feel like U of C ( and Northwestern, too) have a better edge in terms of their programs.

But is there really that much of a difference?

I'd love to hear any opinions on this.

Thanks!

Go to U Chicago so I can get that MSSM spot :D

Both are located in great cities, not like you are deciding between MSSM and UPitt or something. Therefore, go to U Chicago if you like their program better. You sound like you got a personal reason to stay in NYC so why not go MSSM? Or do you want the perceived increased prestige U CHicago offers? MSSM can pretty much guarantee that you get a residency in the east coast unless you want Ortho or something.

Anyone heard from MSSM lately who interviewed late?

pekq said:
Both are located in great cities, not like you are deciding between MSSM and UPitt or something.

Hmm, care to elaborate on this? :) I'm actually making this decision between MSSM and Pitt right now.

I need to get off this board NOW

SachinG said:
Hmm, care to elaborate on this? :) I'm actually making this decision between MSSM and Pitt right now.

I need to get off this board NOW

I believe I posted in your thread and suggested you go to MSSM since that sounded like the school you liked better. The city of Pitt blows. It snows a lot, is cold, in the middle of nowhere, lack cultural diversity, and air flight and transportation to the city cost an arm and a leg.

Anyhow, the bottomline is, go to UPitt so I can have a better chance at MSSM. :D

i noticed someone had written a few pages back that MSSM isn't giving out the two merit scholarships and has drastically reduced the amount of non-need based grants.
anyone know the reason y? r they having financial problems? i was told the day of my interview that the hospital's financial problems weren't related to the school at all...or r they just putting the money somewhere else?

rCubed said:
i noticed someone had written a few pages back that MSSM isn't giving out the two merit scholarships and has drastically reduced the amount of non-need based grants.
anyone know the reason y? r they having financial problems? i was told the day of my interview that the hospital's financial problems weren't related to the school at all...or r they just putting the money somewhere else?

I don't know the reasons behind the scholarship changes. However, I don't think they are related to the financial problems. It has been mentioned on here by people who attended Sinai in the past that the medical school endowment is huge and that this money is not related at all to the hopsital's situation. However, you bring up interesting questions. Perhaps they are tightening the belt so to speak.

rCubed said:
i noticed someone had written a few pages back that MSSM isn't giving out the two merit scholarships
Since that original posting, has anyone confirmed that Sinai will not be granting the merit scholarships?

Yup, I confirmed it last week after talking to the FA office. Apparently they'll be reallocating that money elsewhere this year.

Has anyone received anything regarding next year aside from the housing questionaire and the financial aid packet you have to send back? Does anyone know when we are slated to receive our housing assignments, etc..? Thanks.

facted said:
Has anyone received anything regarding next year aside from the housing questionaire and the financial aid packet you have to send back? Does anyone know when we are slated to receive our housing assignments, etc..? Thanks.
I haven't received anything yet concerning both the FA and housing. I sent my stuff in relatively early too. The FA office, when I talked to them, gave me a cryptic response of "late April."

my bad for posting again, but can anyone offer me thoughts on mount siani versus northwestern?

thanks guys

Do you like PBL?

Northwestern has a strong emphasis on PBL.

I'm a little uncertain about whether or not I like PBL - I think I'd be able to adapt though...you know what I mean?

So far, I know that both have great locations - which makes the decision tougher....and that Sinai has a more traditional curriculum and that Northwestern incorporates PBL.

But in terms of students, faculty, environment - I'm lost. The students at NW seemed enthusiastic - they kept popping into the Admissions Office all day. The students at Sinai seemed ... not as enthusiastic - but we only saw 4-5 that day.

Any thoughts? (Thanks for the reply, Lakers)

I don't know much about Northwestern, but the students I saw at MSSM on interview day seemed really enthusiastic about the school, and I got a better feeling about the students at MSSM than I did at any other school I interviewed at. So maybe those 4-5 students you saw were in the minority. I talked to about 10 students while I was there and all of them really loved the curriculum and how the school is looking out for your interests (for example, you get a month off to study for the boards, which you definitely don't get at most schools). I don't know about NW, but MSSM is P/F for the first two years, which I think is great. Also, in my opinion, Chicago has nothing on NYC :D . I'm really excited about going to MSSM next year - hope to see you there! :thumbup:

AD2020,

Do you know what the daily class schedule is like at MSSM?

Lakers4in5 said:
AD2020,

Do you know what the daily class schedule is like at MSSM?

yeah, i realize i know almost nothing about the curriculum at MSSM. i realize they're P/F the first two years and leans towards the traditional approach, what with lectures and all. but do they have PBL's at all? and how are they're blocks arranged?

rCubed said:
yeah, i realize i know almost nothing about the curriculum at MSSM. i realize they're P/F the first two years and leans towards the traditional approach, what with lectures and all. but do they have PBL's at all? and how are they're blocks arranged?

It's all online: http://www.mssm.edu/medschool/courses/

I don't know what to do... Should I go to MSSM or should I stay in CA and go to UC Davis or Loma Linda? MSSM is definitely my top choice right now, and I wouldn't think twice before going there if I were single. The problem is that I'm married, and going out-of-state will be a bit complicated and stressful for both my husband and I. He totally supports my decision to study at MSSM, as long as I try to come back to CA for my residency. What should I do?

dolce doc said:
I don't know what to do... Should I go to MSSM or should I stay in CA and go to UC Davis or Loma Linda? MSSM is definitely my top choice right now, and I wouldn't think twice before going there if I were single. The problem is that I'm married, and going out-of-state will be a bit complicated and stressful for both my husband and I. He totally supports my decision to study at MSSM, as long as I try to come back to CA for my residency. What should I do?

I don't know too much about the california schools. However, in your situation, I think the choice is easy. If you are leaving your husband for 4 years and eventually want a residency in california anyway, I would personally pick to stay in California.

dolce doc said:
I suggest staying in Cali. Four years at three thousand miles apart can strain even the most dedicated relationships. Plus, Davis is a great school. :)

dolce doc said:
I'm a big Sinai cheerleader as an alum, but stay in CA. The schools you can attend in CA are great schools, and no medical school is worth the strain on your marriage. Being away from your husband will make you miserable and less able to enjoy the fun of medical school or endure the difficulties. Just my humble opinion.

See kids? This woman is actually considering leaving her HUSBAND and CALIFORNIA to go to Sinai. Y'all better recognize... :)

dolce doc said:

Wow, you'd leave your hubby and a cali med school spot (UC at that) to go east?! I'm a huge MSSM fan, but there is no way I would turn down a UC spot to go out of state unless it was an elite school. Don't get me wrong, MSSM is an awesome school, but its not Cornell or Columbia. I'd say dont miss the chance to attend a UC medical school, something people applying from California would give give certain body parts for!!! Not only that, I'm sure medical school will be much happier if you have your husband around to support you.

If you had to choose between LLU and MSSM, then its a little different, but still, I would choose my family first even then. But a UC acceptance just seals the deal for me.

Sorry guys, I wasn't clear before; my husband is willing to go with me to New York. The problem is that he would have to find a new job and live in NYC (he is not a fan of big cities). I've always wanted to live in NYC, besides I am truly in love with MSSM. It will be a tough choice for me. Anyway, thank you for your advice.

Gah, I just found out from a current student at MSSM that they had an official second look two weekends ago, but it was for special minority applicants only. :mad: Oh well. Anyone going on their own accord between now and May 15th for a pseudo-second look? I'm seriously considering it. Also, any word on FA yet?

TheFlash said:
Gah, I just found out from a current student at MSSM that they had an official second look two weekends ago, but it was for special minority applicants only. :mad: Oh well. Anyone going on their own accord between now and May 15th for a pseudo-second look? I'm seriously considering it. Also, any word on FA yet?

that sucks

TheFlash said:
I agree. I should've posed as Mexican and snuck in just for the weekend. :smuggrin:

lol...
but yeah, that does sort of suck, this whole process is making me so cynical.

anyway, i talked to the financial aid office on friday and they said that we should be getting someting at the end of this week or the beginning of next week. but then my parents fill out their taxes at the last possible minute so i know my finaid application was probably complete a lot longer after some of u people's, so hopefully u guys will hear soon