MSSM Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by TheFlash
Which buildings are you referring to? I know for a fact that Aron Hall, the main residence hall for med students, has an elevator. It's got over 10 stories too, as I recall.

i don't know what building specifically, i dont' have the forms in front of me, but i think its the one on 97th....someone correct me if i'm way off

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by rCubed
i don't know what building specifically, i dont' have the forms in front of me, but i think its the one on 97th....someone correct me if i'm way off

Hmm, I think Aron is on 98th. Why would you want to live on 97th? Aron Hall is where the party's going to be next year. :horns:

yeah, the one on 97th...with the whole walk-up thing is not the one for me

are there any buildings specifically designated for couples' housing or is it just any studio or 1 Br will do?

Members don't see this ad :)
does mssm still have a financial problem? are they still using the research funding to cover their hospital cost? this is the reason why it "merges" with nyu...

Yes, there are several building designated for couples. Some are studios, 1 BR or 2 BR depending on your needs and price range. The women I spoke to at housing said that the range is about 1000-2000 depending on what you request. I know that some of the couples housing is walk-up if that is what you meant...

Originally posted by fuzzylogic
does mssm still have a financial problem? are they still using the research funding to cover their hospital cost? this is the reason why it "merges" with nyu...

1. Yes.

2. Research funding to cover their hospital cost?? No.

3. kinda. Both Sinai and NYU were hoping the other would bale them out.

Originally posted by fuzzylogic

From what I've read, the finacial problems are clearing up and the medical school has a gigantic endowment so it would never affect the students. As for the research: hospitals very often use research grants to cover hospital money. For every grant that researchers get, the parent institution gets a certain % of that. As for NYU, the merger is being dissolved and as was said, it was meant to bail each other out of financial problems but now each school is going its own way.

A little note on financial aid awards: I called today to make sure my financial aid paperwork had reached the office in one piece, and in the process the secretary told me that the financial aid committee wouldn't be meeting for another two weeks, after which they would begin sending out the awards. So if you haven't gotten a chance to do the paperwork yet, you've still got plenty of time.

Anyone get tested for Mary Jane yet? ;)

Congrats to all accepted!

I got 2 questions:

1. Does MSSM offer a couple of full scholarships? I think I heard it somewhere but am not sure. If yes, are they merit-based?

2. Can we wait until fin aid package to get tested?

Originally posted by acab
Congrats to all accepted!

I got 2 questions:

1. Does MSSM offer a couple of full scholarships? I think I heard it somewhere but am not sure. If yes, are they merit-based?

2. Can we wait until fin aid package to get tested?

Sinai does offer a few full scholarships (2 or 3 I believe). I'm not sure about the drug testing and the finacial aid packages. Best bet would be to call and ask, though I would assume that you could wait since you don't need to be tested until school starts. There is no deadline on the drug test as far as I can tell (from the sheet that was sent to us).

Originally posted by facted
Sinai does offer a few full scholarships (2 or 3 I believe).

Thanks Facted.

They're probably merit-based right?

On the first page of this thread, SachinG and TheFlash both discuss the scholarships.The scholarships are merit-based. You do not apply for them and they are used primarily as recruiting tools (this all according to SachinG on the 1st page of this thread). I do remember a general discussion about the full-ride scholarships during my interview, but Mr. Fuller (Financial Aid) basically made it pretty clear its rather difficult to get them.

Originally posted by acab
Thanks Facted.

They're probably merit-based right?

Yup, I believe they only have two full merit scholarships. I'm curious how they select for those, since two is such a small, small number of awards to give out.

But I have heard that they're really good with need-based aid. Too bad I don't think I qualify for any of it. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, I believe they only have two full merit scholarships. I'm curious how they select for those, since two is such a small, small number of awards to give out.

But I have heard that they're really good with need-based aid. Too bad I don't think I qualify for any of it. :mad:

Hey Flash,
:clap: :clap: :clap: Congratulations, bro....on you acceptance. I didn't know..just saw it. Rock on, brutha...

:)

-Harps

Originally posted by Harps
Hey Flash,
:clap: :clap: :clap: Congratulations, bro....on you acceptance. I didn't know..just saw it. Rock on, brutha...

:)

-Harps

Haha, thanks man, I'm a bit low key with my acceptances on this site, so I don't blame you not knowing. :) You're ballin' out of control though. Good luck hearing from the Cardinal. :clap: You should auction your future presence at all those schools that want you. Easy money, my friend. :idea:

Haha, thanks man, I'm a bit low key with my acceptances on this site, so I don't blame you not knowing. :)

That's a good idea! So, you're set on MSSM? What else are you considering?

-Harps

Congrats to all the Sinai acceptances!

Scott Barnett is a Dean? Anatomy with Laitman? Barbecues in Aron Hall? WOOHOO!!

You guys are going to have a lot of fun. Frankly, I'm surprised so many people think NYU is in a better location!

I'll try to answer some general questions, but I wanted to say congrats!

I'll be having my 10 yr reunion when you guys graduate! I'm older than dirt!

Sinai Class of '98

Originally posted by Harps
That's a good idea! So, you're set on MSSM? What else are you considering?

-Harps

I'm on a couple waitlists (Duke, Columbia), holding accepts at my state schools, Pitt, MSSM, and still waiting post-interview from UChicago. I've pretty much withdrawn from all other schools else because I really like Pitt and MSSM. Financial aid awards are going to be pretty big in my decision. Maybe I'll get lucky and score a few bucks from somewhere. :)

So... UCSF or the Big H or the Big S? :clap:

Originally posted by DoctorDoom
Congrats to all the Sinai acceptances!

Scott Barnett is a Dean? Anatomy with Laitman? Barbecues in Aron Hall? WOOHOO!!

You guys are going to have a lot of fun. Frankly, I'm surprised so many people think NYU is in a better location!

I'll try to answer some general questions, but I wanted to say congrats!

I'll be having my 10 yr reunion when you guys graduate! I'm older than dirt!

Sinai Class of '98

Thanks Doc. So you felt that the Upper East Side locale had plenty to offer in terms of things to do, nightlife, culture, etc.? How sweet would it be to get one of those top suites in Aron Hall, spiral staircases and all. :horns:

Hey Rocky,

I agree that NYU's match is a good one, but when you remember that Sinai has almost half as many students as NYU (450 vs. 710), I think Sinai's match is actually considerably stronger. In other words, if you really want to compare the two matches you have to multiply Sinai's competitive matches by a factor of nearly 2.

Anyway, here's a recap of some of Sinai's highlights. I think you will see that while Sinai is a smaller school, students matched at top places in every field they applied for.

ANES:
Columbia

DERM:
MSSM

EMERGENCY MED:
NYU-Bellevue

ENT:
MSSM
U. Maryland
Yale

MEDICINE:
BI-Deaconess
Brigham and Womens
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
Columbia
Columbia
Mass General
Mass General
U. Penn
Stanford

NEURO:
Cornell
Columbia

OB-GYN:
Brigham and Womens

OPTHO:
U. Penn

ORTHO:
MSSM
Columbia
Penn. State

PSYCH:
Columbia
Cornell
Mass General
Yale

RAD-DIAGN:
Mass General
Mass General
MSSM
MSSM
MSSM

RAD-ONC:
Memorial Sloan Kettering
Dana-Farber/Brigham/Harvard

SURGERY:
Cornell
Stanford
UCSF (Prel)

UROLOGY:
UCSF

Originally posted by Rocky888
A very nice match, but in my humble opinion NYU's match this year was significantly better...

Integrated platics
NYU
UCSF

Ortho
Maimonides (2)
UCLA
Jackson Memorial
NYU-HJD (3)
Clevland clinic (2)
NYMC

Radiology
Brigham and womens
Hartford
LIJ
NYU (3)
Westchester
Eistein
Rhode Island
UTexas
Upenn
Stony Brook (2)
Einstein
Beth Israel
Jefferson

Optho
LIJ
NYU (2)
Iowa
Wayne State (2)
BU

Neurosurgery
NYU (2)
UFlorida

Derm
Dartmouth
NYU

ENT
Temple
NYU (3)
Harvard
SUNY - Brooklyn

Urology
Baylor
UCLA
Mt. Sinai

EM
UCLA
Cook County

Anesthesia
MGH (2)
Brighman and womens

Dude, when you quote a match list, you MUST include every single match. Having "highlights" as a summary is very misleading. You've got no idea of the number of students in the class, so how are you supposed to know how many not-so-great matches there were? If you've got 300 students in a class versus a school of similar quality that has 100, of course the school with more students will have better "highlights." Put up the entire NYU match list and then let's compare the two. Much more than half the class is missing from this list. :idea:

Thanks Doc. So you felt that the Upper East Side locale had plenty to offer in terms of things to do, nightlife, culture, etc.? How sweet would it be to get one of those top suites in Aron Hall, spiral staircases and all. :horns:

Yes, definitely. You are closer to Central Park and the major museums. Grand Central was a short hop away. Many bars on 3rd and Second Avenues, excellent restaurants on Madison.

1st Ave in the 30's where NYU is located is closer to the downtown scene, but it's kind of in the middle of nowhere, certainly not that much better than the UES... of course I went to junior high and high school on the UES also, so I might be biased.

From personal experience, the upper suites rock!! Get yourself a suite on 14 if you can, roof access!!

ewww...no second look weekend. and i lost the contact info for the person who called me up after i got in

the email didn't mention anything about us visiting the school on our own just to look around. do u think we can still do that?

DocDoom: Thanks for the insight. If I end up going, I'm going to claw as much as possible to get that 14th floor suite. :D

Crud, no second look. Just got the email. The funniest thing about it is not the strange wording of the text, but the fact that they disclosed the emails of everyone who's been admitted to MSSM. Good job, admissions office!

Just got the email. The funniest thing about it is not the strange wording of the text, but the fact that they disclosed the emails of everyone who's been admitted to MSSM. Good job, admissions office!

Hmm...I didn't get it. haha. I guess my e-mail then, is not on that list ;) (or I assume I'll just get it in a few minutes).

EDIT: Maybe I didn't get it because I live in NYC and they offer us to come visit for a day or something since they don't have to put us up? I'll let you know...

The strangest thing just happened. I received this email about the second look weekend before receiving an acceptance! I interviewed on March 1st, so it's possible that they just haven't contacted me yet, right? I would be so disappointed if they sent me this email accidentally!

Originally posted by pyroseq
The strangest thing just happened. I received this email about the second look weekend before receiving an acceptance! I interviewed on March 1st, so it's possible that they just haven't contacted me yet, right? I would be so disappointed if they sent me this email accidentally!

Wow. Well hopefully it's not accidental (that would be highly embarassing to the school I would think). In that case, congrats!

Hmm...I didn't get it. haha. I guess my e-mail then, is not on that list ;) (or I assume I'll just get it in a few minutes).

EDIT: Maybe I didn't get it because I live in NYC and they offer us to come visit for a day or something since they don't have to put us up? I'll let you know...

Interesting, maybe they split the list up in pieces and are sending it out a batch at a time? I dunno. They let NYC'ers visit for a day? That's pretty cool.

:laugh: Someone in their admissions office should've thought twice before sloppily sending this email out.

I would take it as a good sign, pyro. Hopefully Kelliann Bailey just hasn't gotten around to emailing you her congrats yet. :)

Interesting, maybe they split the list up in pieces and are sending it out a batch at a time? I dunno. They let NYC'ers visit for a day? That's pretty cool.

I have no idea really. Just a thought. What'd the e-mail say? Was it an attachment? My school is blocking all archive attachments, but I doubt that's the issue..

Don't know what else it could be...maybe I failed the drug test I already took and they don't want to tell me I've been kicked out...:D

I have no idea really. Just a thought. What'd the e-mail say? Was it an attachment? My school is blocking all archive attachments, but I doubt that's the issue..

Don't know what else it could be...maybe I failed the drug test I already took and they don't want to tell me I've been kicked out...:D

The e-mail I received this morning...

-----------

Congratulations, again, at being accepted to the Class of 2008 at Mount Sinai School of Medicine. We hope you are enjoying these last few months before medical school begins.

It has come to pass that Mount Sinai will be unable to offer a ?second look? visit this year. We had originally planned this for April but find that it is not possible at this time. We hope you were able to get a good sense of what it would be like to be a Mount Sinai student, by speaking to our current students and touring our facilities, when you visited us originally. Many of you took e-mail addresses from your tour guides. They are a wonderful resource if you have additional questions. You also have contact information from the students who called you upon acceptance. These students are also available to you to assist you through this process.

We very much look forward to seeing you in August and wish for you continued success in all you do.
Best regards,
Kelli Bailey
Assistant Director for Admissions
Mount Sinai School of Medicine

Oh by the way, I definitely think I could've used a second look before deciding for sure on MSSM (though I am 90%)... I'm kind of pissed off right now and hoping I can somehow figure out a way to revisit the school, esp. after I revisit Pitt next month

Did any of you guys get phone calls from students upon your acceptence? That's what the e-mail says...

Still wondering why I didn't get the e-mail. Oh well. :confused:

Did any of you guys get phone calls from students upon your acceptence? That's what the e-mail says...

Still wondering why I didn't get the e-mail. Oh well. :confused:

I never got a call from a student. Then again, I never interviewed with a student either. Worry not, facted, I'm sure the email not being in your inbox is some sort of innocent mistake. :)

Yea. I'm not too worried. I did e-mail them to make sure that I am on the correct mailing list just in case more important information is sent via e-mail in the future. I don't want to miss that too :)

I just got the same email and I also have not been accepted yet. What does this mean? Maybe they sent it to everybody who interviewed?

I got an acceptance email a few hours after the second look email!! I thought the school was wonderful, so I am thrilled. Now it comes down to MSSM or Pitt. Tough choice, but at least I can't go wrong. Anyway, it looks promising for you lalala21!!

I'm in the same boat as you lalala21

Let's hope for the best.

------------------

Se n?o ligo sou covarde, se mato sou assesino.?

I got an acceptance email a few hours after the second look email!! I thought the school was wonderful, so I am thrilled. Now it comes down to MSSM or Pitt. Tough choice, but at least I can't go wrong. Anyway, it looks promising for you lalala21!!

Congrats on the acceptance!!

I also loved the school when I interviewed. I'll just have to wait and see.

Also, good luck TonyMontana03. Let's hope for that email acceptance :)

Good luck to those who are waiting. I can't believe that it'd be anything but good news, so keep your heads up. TonyMontana, you trying to jock my style? ;)

TheFlash.... wha? jou no like my fotograff?

You can't blame a guy for liking Scarface.

:smuggrin:

Did those of you who got the 2nd look e-mail without getting a formal acceptance eventually get accepted? Anyone else coming to Sinai next year? There has to be more people on sdn.... REPRESENT

Someone posted that they got their accepted mail right after that second look mail. So I think it's a sign of good things. As for others who are coming to MSSM, people have posted on other places that they're coming, but just not on here. (MSSM waitlist thread for instance). Oh well.

Gotcha, facted. I see the posts you're talking about now... I'm actually in the same position as pyroseq in that I'm choosing between MSSM and Pitt, though I am close to 100% sure I'll be at Sinai (Pittsburgh just cannot hold a candle to NYC)...

Can't wait to live right next to Central Park and be in the arts capital of the world

Originally posted by SachinG
Can't wait to live right next to Central Park and be in the arts capital of the world

Yup. I totally agree, though I'm living here already :) Just on the other side of the park. There is a lot to do in NYC for sure. If we can get out once in a while, we'll def. be enjoying life.

I have yet to hear anything...

Ahh the waiting game. :oops:

so, i'm lucky enough to be in a good position, but i'm kinda confused. i have been accepted to pitt and wl'ed at sinai. i'm also a native ny'er who would like to practice in ny or Li. so, i'm trying to decide if i should start pounding mssm for an acceptance, or be just embrace pitt and forget about ny for a few.

here are some of my pro's for each:

Pitt:
highly regarded/ranked. a much bigger research player than they get credit for (7th in NIH funding).
Cheap cost of living in pburgh.
access to all hospitals in the area.
congenial atmosphere.
awesome sim lab.

Mssm:
takes alot of their own for residency, which is something i'd love.
close to family and friends.
fairly low-stress environment.
greatest city in the world.

and so here i am, unsure of what direction to go. i'd appreciate anyone adding to my list, or just voicing there opinion.