MSSM Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ewing said:
I still haven't gotten that packet yet, and for what it's worth, I guess I wasted a morning going to my undergrad to pick up their certified copy of my MMR titers from before college.

Also, I never actually get the Hep B sequence, and it's been just about 10 years since my last tetanus booster. Presumably, this will all be available for free once school starts. I decided I'm not going to worry about any of this stuff until school starts, though, because I don't think it will keep me from enrolling, but it will def. ruin my vacation if I try to stay on top of this. I am now officially on vacation, and will be until I move in on Aug. 6.

Enjoy the rest of your freedom, guys!

This is the way to go. I just called the SHC today and they said we can get all exams, immunizations, etc. when we arrive at school. I'm just going to get my records now and bring them when I arrive at MSSM. No use in worrying about this crap while on vacation :D.

See all of you in August!

Members don't see this ad.

I command this thread to rise from the dead! :D

So less than three weeks to go till orientation/classes begin. How's everyone enjoying the rest of their summer?

Also, anyone happen to stumble onto an orientation information packet yet?

OptimallyPrime said:
I command this thread to rise from the dead! :D

So less than three weeks to go till orientation/classes begin. How's everyone enjoying the rest of their summer?

Also, anyone happen to stumble onto an orientation information packet yet?

The orientaiton packet is done and on it's way out according to a friend doing the summer program at MSSM.

Members don't see this ad :)
TRUE said:
The orientaiton packet is done and on it's way out according to a friend doing the summer program at MSSM.
Sweet, I've been waiting on that for a while now. :)

TRUE, did MSSM have a summer pre-matric program?

One other question: Did anyone find if there was wireless ethernet in MSSM classrooms? Probably a good thing in disguise if they don't have any, since it'd force me to pay attention in class.

hey guys, just want to say hello to everyone from hawaii -- i just found this thread... can't wait to meet you all! btw, is anyone else living in 14L? I was told it's a 4-person duplex, anyone know if these rooms are a lot bigger? anyway, enjoy the remaining weeks of your summer!

aloha from waikiki beach :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OptimallyPrime said:
TRUE, did MSSM have a summer pre-matric program?

I think the summmer program is for the humanities in medicine program peeps as well as anyone else who has a shaky science background. Basically, they spend an extra two months doing first-year med school, like biochem and anatomy.

Since it's pass-fail, I'm all about having a good time this summer and then working my butt off come August. Right now I'm in Western Europe, and I'm down to checking e-mail only once per day and SDN about twice per week. This is a lot better than my old rates of 10 times per day and twice per week, respectively. I've also read several novels, none of which have really impressed me but all of which I've been meaning to read for a few years, so it's good to take care of it.

OptimallyPrime said:
One other question: Did anyone find if there was wireless ethernet in MSSM classrooms? Probably a good thing in disguise if they don't have any, since it'd force me to pay attention in class.

almost positive that they don't... :(
paying attention BOOOOO. jk. sorta. ;)

anyone get any more housing assignments yet? or still without like me? :(

finally got my housing assignment last week while on vacation!

OptimallyPrime said:

while the classrooms per se are not set up for wireless ethernet, some parts of the school (i.e. annenberg lobby) are and the signal is not too bad in other areas of annenberg. Not too sure about the 12th floor lecture hall, but I get a fair signal on the 15th and 18th floor.

cptms said:
while the classrooms per se are not set up for wireless ethernet, some parts of the school (i.e. annenberg lobby) are and the signal is not too bad in other areas of annenberg. Not too sure about the 12th floor lecture hall, but I get a fair signal on the 15th and 18th floor.

Sweet, I figured that we'd probably be able to pick up ethernet from the surrounding wireless hubs around Annenberg anyway. It'd be way cool if they installed an ethernet hub in the classroom, though, so we could just follow any online PowerPoint lectures directly from the MSSM website. Of course, getting to check your email during class wouldn't be so bad either. ;)

I hope everyone's summer is going well. Mine has been sooo relaxing. :) I'm just TA'ing an NSF-funded class and teaching Kaplan here and there to pick up some pocket change. Otherwise, I'm just bumming around at home.

NYC = :love:

TheFlash said:
On another note, does anyone know where we can find a listing of the relevant books we'll need for the M1 year? It seems that the first part of our double block starts off with Intro to EM and Embryology, followed by Molecules and Cells and Gross Anatomy. Anyone know what books are going to be used in these courses? Or have they not been decided yet? I've got a close relative who's a college bio professor so I should be able to get my books free of charge if I know the name/author.

Hey man, I happened to get my hands on a current book list. Here you go:

The Art and Science of Medicine
Dr. Valerie Parkas, Course Director
Bates? Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking

Embryology
Dr. Keith Eddleman, Course Director
K.L. Moore and TVN Persaud. The Developing Human, Saunders, 7th Edition

Introduction to Emergency Medicine
Dr. Lisa Raacke, Course Director
Basic Cardiac Life Support for Health Care Providers

Gross Anatomy
Dr. Jeffrey Laitman, Course Director
Moore, Clinically Oriented Anatomy
Grant?s Atlas, 11th Edition
Grant?s Dissector 12th Edition
Any medical dictionary ? e.g., Stedman?s or Dorland?s

Molecules and Cells
Dr. David Bechhofer, Course Director
GM Cooper, RE Hausman; The Cell: A Molecular Approach, 3rd Edition (Sinauer)
Marks, Marks, and Smith; Basic Biochemistry: A Clinical Approach (Williams & Wilkins)

Flash, do you think you can hook me up with some free books too, homey? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow OptimallyPrime, I'm amazed you got that booklist, where'd you get it from if you don't mind me asking?

One of my friends actually works in the curriculum office at MSSM. This is the list for the books in the MS1 curriculum. It's also going out in a mailing we should be getting very shortly. Hope it helps, Catalyst. :)

OptimallyPrime said:
One of my friends actually works in the curriculum office at MSSM. This is the list for the books in the MS1 curriculum. It's also going out in a mailing we should be getting very shortly. Hope it helps, Catalyst. :)

Sweeeet, we have an inside connection at MSSM! :) :thumbup:

Wow, books already. Thanks!!!! I have ambiguous feelings about starting med school in just 2-3 weeks. I wish I can still go on vacation and at the same time, I can't wait to meet everyone. See ya guys!! Still havent received my housing assignment btw....you're not alone.

OP, you're a rockstar! :D Thanks a ton.

darkcity, yeah, I know that ambiguous feeling. It feels like I've had enough leisure this summer to last a lifetime (I hope!), so I'm more than ready to jump back into the grind at this point. Hope that's the same story for you soon. :thumbup:

i also wanted to add my thanks to OptPrime for posting the book list :)
so sad that textbooks cost so much though :(

any ideas on whether or not each textbook is required? i hear at some schools, most are tested on material given out in huge syllabi and handouts....

ps. if you still havent heard about your housing yet, maybe try emailing glenda/anaka?

I wouldn't buy the books for molecules and cells yet... they have changed recently (ie last week) and the info in the orientation packet for that course wasn't updated in time.

Hi all. I, too, will be coming to Mt Sinai in a few weeks, and I'm very exciting. While this is my first post here, I've been reading for a while to see what everyone else has been saying.

I've been assigned to room 14O1 (one of the 6-person suites), and I had a few questions about the housing that the housing office was unable to help me with. I wonder if any of you might be able to help me out...

1. Is there any way we can find out who we're living with so we could discuss issues like what to bring for the kitchen? I certainly don't need 6 toaster ovens.

2. I've been hearing conflicting information about the furniture in our rooms, especially the bed. The official word from the office is that they will remove your mattress if you request it, but not the frame. This is in conflict to many students that I met on my tours that said that you can just take anything from your room that you don't want, put it outside the door, and the building workers store it for you. Does anyone know if I can bring my own double bed and have a place to store the given one?

3. Room dimensions? Say I wanted to bring a rug, or an extra bookshelf, or a small table, etc.

Really, I have found the office to be about an unhelpful as possible. So if anyone knows anything about our amenities, I'd appreciate it. And if anyone else is living in my suite, please contact me at [email protected], since they won't tell me.

I look forward to getting up there.
Adam

Adam911 said:
Hi all. I, too, will be coming to Mt Sinai in a few weeks, and I'm very exciting. While this is my first post here, I've been reading for a while to see what everyone else has been saying.

I've been assigned to room 14O1 (one of the 6-person suites), and I had a few questions about the housing that the housing office was unable to help me with. I wonder if any of you might be able to help me out...

1. Is there any way we can find out who we're living with so we could discuss issues like what to bring for the kitchen? I certainly don't need 6 toaster ovens.

2. I've been hearing conflicting information about the furniture in our rooms, especially the bed. The official word from the office is that they will remove your mattress if you request it, but not the frame. This is in conflict to many students that I met on my tours that said that you can just take anything from your room that you don't want, put it outside the door, and the building workers store it for you. Does anyone know if I can bring my own double bed and have a place to store the given one?

3. Room dimensions? Say I wanted to bring a rug, or an extra bookshelf, or a small table, etc.

Really, I have found the office to be about an unhelpful as possible. So if anyone knows anything about our amenities, I'd appreciate it. And if anyone else is living in my suite, please contact me at [email protected], since they won't tell me.

I look forward to getting up there.
Adam
Hey adam, welcome to the thread. :thumbup:

I dunno the answers to queries 1) and 2) (I'd like to know this info too, anyone?), but I'll try my hand at 3). One of my good friend's is currently living on the 14th floor so I got to see his room and the layout of the duplex suite. If I had to guess, the room was about 10' X 14', but that's a really rough estimate. So if you have a double bed, an extra bookshelf and a futon or so, it might get a bit cramped.

I second the sentiment that they should let us know who else is living in our suites. It'd be really crappy for each of us to show up with a toaster and a futon for the living area.

throw ya hands up! housing at last!
(through the mail today.)
:)

Woohoo! Check your mailboxes guys, the orientation/welcome packet has arrived.

Their comic book version of MSSM Frequently Asked Questions is pretty good. And tons of orientation events are planned through September-- we get to see Avenue Q on Broadway too. :D

Flash... glad to hear you like the comic book... my roommate made it.

TheFlash said:
Woohoo! Check your mailboxes guys, the orientation/welcome packet has arrived.

Their comic book version of MSSM Frequently Asked Questions is pretty good. And tons of orientation events are planned through September-- we get to see Avenue Q on Broadway too. :D
Avenue Q? WTF? ****... back when I went through Sinai, when it was HARD, we didn't get to do stuff like that... they just treated us like b****es...

;)

TonyMontana-- Yeah, the comic book was quality. Even though it wasn't typo-free, just looking at the facial expressions in some of their pictures was enough to make me enjoy it. I knew a few of them too! The guys in 8G showed up. :)

DoctorDoom-- Hey, what's wrong with being pampered a little? ;) It's nice that they're not letting us get lost in the city without showing us around a bit. The Avenue Q showing was a good add-in, though. There are a whole bunch of social event planned, it seems, including a class boat ride on the river.

One random question: The "class recommended" booklist we got in the packet says we should pick up a copy of First Aid for the USMLE Step I. I'm assuming that a lot of the 3rd years are going to be eager to get rid of this book by the time we get there. So, should we buy their their cheaper used versions, or just get a new, updated version of First Aid?

TonyMontana03 said:
I wouldn't buy the books for molecules and cells yet... they have changed recently (ie last week) and the info in the orientation packet for that course wasn't updated in time.
You're right, the biochem text in the orientation packet (The Pseudo-Book List) is wrong. Lipincott's Biochemistry was discontinued this year.

But the one I've posted above is the one MSSM is running with. Marks, Marks and Smith's Basic Biochemistry is the approved text.

I read from other posts that the Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews Biochemistry
is the best review book for Biochem... And that a new version is coming out in August

You can pre-order it at Barnes & Noble:

http://btobsearch.barnesandnoble.co...&userid=ZYw1iNNkoT&sourceid=0039357741&btob=Y

ISBN: 0781722659

---------------------------

Just wanted to share an online bookbuying tip (for new books) with fellow MSSMers:

There's an AMSA B&N storefront that gets you 5% off regular B&N prices (without any coupon codes needed)
http://btob.barnesandnoble.com/index.asp?SourceId=0039357741&Btob=Y

Then, you can find additional coupons on the internet. Example: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mes...readid=159931&highlight_key=y&keyword1=barnes

Amazon usually has the same prices as B&N, and they don't usually charge tax. But there's no coupons.

So just compare your total costs using AMSA B&N + tax + coupons vs. Amazon [no tax no coupons] (vs. Regular B&N + tax + coupons + Fatcash)

There's also a way to get 4% back using Fatcash (but that's more of a backup incase you can't use AMSA B&N).

-tony

TheFlash said:
One random question: The "class recommended" booklist we got in the packet says we should pick up a copy of First Aid for the USMLE Step I. I'm assuming that a lot of the 3rd years are going to be eager to get rid of this book by the time we get there. So, should we buy their their cheaper used versions, or just get a new, updated version of First Aid?

Here's my two cents.

A lot of people swear by First Aid, and say its their #1 goto book for studying for the Step 1. A good tip is to use it as you're taking each class and then writing down your own notes in the margins, so you can have a more-or-less onestop guide as the exam gets closer. Having said that, its likely most used copies will be very well paged-thru and filled with handwritten notes.

So it depends on what you're comfortable with. A final note, a new version seems to come out every year... And a new version seems to be due ~this winter?

I just bought a new copy (Jan 2004 ver) to look through since I want to have something in my hands when classes start instead of waiting for next version.

-tony

Yeah, those are pretty much my feelings on First Aid as well-- great book to back up what you've learned in class and an excellent Step I source. According to current med students, it seems that that the material in First Aid barely changes from year to year. Only a few diagrams here and there. Ah well, I'm getting a new one anyway.

As for Lipincott's, I think I'll just pick up a used copy of it from one of the MSSM students on the cheap once I get there. I've heard that it's one of the best resources for biochem.

By "tox test," Kelli means the urine toxicological screening, right?

ewing said:
By "tox test," Kelli means the urine toxicological screening, right?

yep

by the way, anybody get anything from the finaid office after sending in all those loan forms?

I got an email about my orientation group today from an MS2 orientation leader. They split groups up pretty small, I've only got like five people in my group. Almost time to begin...

jslow said:
hey...
i'm in aron hall already and haven't been doing too much with myself.. so, if any of you are around and wanna meet up.. lemme know!
i'm in 14F1.
or email me at [email protected]
or call me at 917 209 7549.

hmm let's hope weird stalkerish types don't read this. :)

-j

I'm moving into Aron tomorrow ... 10E1. How's the moving process? Is the place pretty empty?

You guys sure moved in early. Why? I can understand beating the traffic, but that place must be kinda quiet, we've still got nearly a whole week before orientation starts.

OptimallyPrime said:
You guys sure moved in early. Why? I can understand beating the traffic, but that place must be kinda quiet, we've still got nearly a whole week before orientation starts.

I figured it would be a lot easier to move in if I did it early and in the middle of the week, rather than waiting until everyone else is moving in. Since I'm just moving within Manhattan, it's no big deal, and I can use the extra time to get all settled in.

sweeeet, def contact me! haha .. i run into some ppl once in a while... i'm the only first year in my apt so i'm the only bum :) it'll be nice when more ppl get here.. just been spending time unpacking, walking around, and meeting up with friends in the city...

and, optprime, about moving in earlier, well... i didn't know when school would start and all that when i got my plane tickets from taiwan... and, when i FINALLY got my housing packet at the end of july, i didn't think it was worth the hassle of getting new tickets... so, the housing ppl had to accomodate me :) works out fine... i'm a slow unpacker and i have time to get more furniture and i can just have fun here!

... so is anyone wearing a suit? or do you think business casual is ok?