MSSM Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know who the check is payable to?

Item #1 on the yellow sheet says "Mount Sinai Real Estate".
Item #2 on the yellow sheet says "MSMS Residental Realty".

Either there are two checks, or I'm completely lost. Or both.

Members don't see this ad.

TRUE said:
Does anyone know who the check is payable to?

Item #1 on the yellow sheet says "Mount Sinai Real Estate".
Item #2 on the yellow sheet says "MSMS Residental Realty".

Either there are two checks, or I'm completely lost. Or both.

Make it out to MSMC Residential Realty ("Mount Sinai Real Estate" was crossed out on my yellow sheet, and MSMC Residential Realty was written in its place, in addition to being printed in #2)

Ditto, Mount Sinai Real Estate was crossed out on my yellow sheet. Actually, that entire housing and lease packet was kinda ghetto fabulous. Tons of stuff was handwritten or crossed out.

Members don't see this ad :)
damnit, still no housing packet nor e-mail for me...

MSSM administration can go to hell, this is extremely obnoxious :mad: +pissed+

Ok, I checked my mailbox today and found an MSSM package containing the breakdown of my finances and some stuff about my medical student insurance. The whole "credit balance" thing seems a bit vague and they didn't do a good job about explaining it. Argh, I think I'll call them for some directions tomorrow, especially since my parents' insurance should cover me next year.

if you're home for the summer instead of at your school address, have some one back at school check your mail for you. it might be there waiting for you...

it turns out my package got sent to my school address instead of here at home. luckily, one of my buddies is gonna forward me the package.

kenji1124 said:
if you're home for the summer instead of at your school address, have some one back at school check your mail for you. it might be there waiting for you...

it turns out my package got sent to my school address instead of here at home. luckily, one of my buddies is gonna forward me the package.

Yeah, unfortunately this situation is unlikely since I put only my home address on the housing form and made sure that they knew not to send any mail to my school address. Also, I had called them last week (or was it the week before?) about my housing assignment; they said they hadn't processed my forms yet.

I think the school hates me and wants me to withdraw. Maybe I should've gone to PittMed

Yeah, I haven't received my housing assignment yet either. So you're not alone.

TheFlash said:
As for orientation, it supposedly stretches out until the end of August, culminating in the white coat ceremony on the the 20th. I would rather have a week without classes instead, but it's all good. No use in crying about it.

I'm not 100% sure about it, but I am under the impression that the white coat ceremony is on Sept. 20th, not August 20th.

More info here: http://www.mssm.edu/students/handbook/calendar_0405.shtml

As for the housing date thing, I think I got that cleared up. Anika called me today to change my housing assignment and I asked about the move in dates. It seems that as long as your move in date is after the date they assigned to you, you're good to go. If it isn't, then you probably should call and see if they can change it for you. I think it depends on whether or not the room is open and cleaned, etc..

Yeah, it's on Sept. 20th according to their recent calendar. I didn't get around to fixing that from a few weeks ago. Thanks for the catch, TRUE.

TRUE said:
Anika called me today to change my housing assignment and I asked about the move in dates.

Just curious... why'd your housing assignment change?

kenji1124 said:
Just curious... why'd your housing assignment change?

Beats the heck out of me. She just called and said: "your housing has changed, and you need to send us more money now". My rent went from 543 to 588 :(. I moved from the 9th floor to the 14th floor and from a 4 person suite to a 6 person suite. Not sure why it costs more, nor why it was changed to begin with.

I'm not complaining too much though because my first suite was near the tracks...

Whoa, looks like they moved you into the duplexes on the top floor. Those are pretty sweet, hence the more expensive rent.

Members don't see this ad :)
TheFlash said:
Whoa, looks like they moved you into the duplexes on the top floor. Those are pretty sweet, hence the more expensive rent.

Sounds good to me. As long as I'm living with other 1st year students, I'm happy. They don't mix years in the housing, do they?

I dunno, the duplexes are very popular with the upperclassmen. And they do mix M1's with other years in some of the suites. The student host I stayed with was in a six-person suite with two other 1st years, a 2nd year and a two 4th years. I'm not sure how common it is among all suites, but that's some anecdotal evidence of mixing anyway.

TheFlash said:
I dunno, the duplexes are very popular with the upperclassmen. And they do mix M1's with other years in some of the suites. The student host I stayed with was in a six-person suite with two other 1st years, a 2nd year and a two 4th years. I'm not sure how common it is among all suites, but that's some anecdotal evidence of mixing anyway.

Ahh. Oh well. I guess. If it's common for all the 1st years to be living with upperclassmen, then I guess I'll live with it. I'd rather have a suite with "my own kind", but maybe I can get some great insight from the old wise men :) hehe.

TRUE said:
Ahh. Oh well. I guess. If it's common for all the 1st years to be living with upperclassmen, then I guess I'll live with it. I'd rather have a suite with "my own kind", but maybe I can get some great insight from the old wise men :) hehe.

You can finagle single-class suites easier in the 4-person suites, but mixing of years leads to good testing/rotation advice, more party invites, and free books. :thumbup:

DoctorDoom said:
You can finagle single-class suites easier in the 4-person suites, but mixing of years leads to good testing/rotation advice, more party invites, and free books. :thumbup:

Yea, I figured that much :) I just hope I have at least SOME first-years in my suite. Do you know any 1st years when you were there that didn't have any same-year people in their suites?

Also, what makes the 6 person duplexes better than the other suites?

lol, no worries... me and one of my friends are gonna be 1st years living on the 14th floor too, so there should definitely be some other 1st years too :thumbup:

6 person suite + 14th floor = bigger patio? = better parties? :hardy:
altho sharing bathrooms and such might be tougher...

on a related note, for the housing assignment they give us... are the actual bedrooms already assigned to us (the last # in the assignment) or do the upperclassmen/earlier movers choose the rooms as they move in?

TRUE said:
Yea, I figured that much :) I just hope I have at least SOME first-years in my suite. Do you know any 1st years when you were there that didn't have any same-year people in their suites?

Also, what makes the 6 person duplexes better than the other suites?

Yeah I was the only 1st year in my suite. I liked being able to hang out with my classmates when I wanted and being able to be by myself in my suite. Besides, so many 1st year classmates lived next door that it wasn't a big deal.

The 6-person duplexes generally have a larger living room and a deck, but really only the 14th floor ones have access to the roof patio. Bathroom sharing isn't too bad since many of them have 3 bathrooms.

IIRC they assign you the specific room in the suite.

Thanks for the info DocDoom :)

Would you happen to know which is more distracting in terms of sleep:

Noise from commuter rail side (G,H etc?)
or Noise from streets sides (A,B etc?)

kenji1124 said:
Thanks for the info DocDoom :)

Would you happen to know which is more distracting in terms of sleep:

Noise from commuter rail side (G,H etc?)
or Noise from streets sides (A,B etc?)

No problem! :)

I lived in 11H and 14D, and never heard any noise from the street or the train track. Very few cars pass by on 98th Street. It could just be the fact I was pretty high up though. I spent a lot of nights in one of the 4th floor suites (4G) and even then the train noise wasn't a problem either. By the time the train is fully out of the Park Avenue tunnel it's really already reached 99th Street. More annoying was the bus depot across Park Avenue and the parking structure across the street.

I've stayed multiple nights in a G suite before, and the train noise never really bothered me, just a distant rumbling now and then. Nothing that you should lose sleep over (literally), IMO. :)

On another note, does anyone know where we can find a listing of the relevant books we'll need for the M1 year? It seems that the first part of our double block starts off with Intro to EM and Embryology, followed by Molecules and Cells and Gross Anatomy. Anyone know what books are going to be used in these courses? Or have they not been decided yet? I've got a close relative who's a college bio professor so I should be able to get my books free of charge if I know the name/author.

Is anyone else behind in submitting forms? Transcripts, immunization record, toxicology report, housing, financial aid...I'd like to go on vacation, but there's so much filling out to do. :eek:

And one question, why do we start so early compared to other schools? We don't leave school earlier in the first year, do we?

hey darkcity998, I'm also behind in submitting forms.. I haven't received my housing information yet nor have I done the medical exam stuff. funny thing, I was also planning to go on vacation, but am worried about getting all this stuff done. My goal is to take care of as much as possible tomorrow. Have you received housing info yet?

As for starting so early, I have no clue why. I know Cornell also starts around the same time, and that we get out around June 15.

nope, i haven't received housing information yet. i think i submitted it in the first week of april. i feel so left out now that people have received their room assignments, but i'm contemplating living off campus. oh well...can't believe we have only 1 month left 'til school begins. meanwhile, hope you get to enjoy july as best as you can!!!

Another question:

Has anyone handed in his/her physical exam form requirement yet? Do they require a blood test?

darkcity998 said:
Another question:

Has anyone handed in his/her physical exam form requirement yet? Do they require a blood test?

They do require a blood test. The requirements are for a cholesterol count, CBC, and a few tieters including Hep B, MMR, and Varicella. They are willing to do this all for free once you get to school if you want to wait. You should call the nurse at school for more info.

Thanks for the quick info!!! Yes, I'm doing it at the school for free, but they only offer appointments during the afternoons. If I'm getting a blood test, I just thought it would be better to do it in the morning. I guess I won't be able to drink/eat for the entire morning.

TRUE said:
They do require a blood test. The requirements are for a cholesterol count, CBC, and a few tieters including Hep B, MMR, and Varicella. They are willing to do this all for free once you get to school if you want to wait. You should call the nurse at school for more info.

I still haven't gotten that packet yet, and for what it's worth, I guess I wasted a morning going to my undergrad to pick up their certified copy of my MMR titers from before college.

Also, I never actually get the Hep B sequence, and it's been just about 10 years since my last tetanus booster. Presumably, this will all be available for free once school starts. I decided I'm not going to worry about any of this stuff until school starts, though, because I don't think it will keep me from enrolling, but it will def. ruin my vacation if I try to stay on top of this. I am now officially on vacation, and will be until I move in on Aug. 6.

Enjoy the rest of your freedom, guys!

Yeah, I hadn't gotten the three Hepatitis B shots either, but the nurse at SHC said they administer for free if you wait till you get to MSSM. So no biggie there.

Also, certain titers are good for a while. So it isn't necessarily a total waste to send in copies of what you've got to see which ones you may or may not need when you to school. :thumbup:

I'm really surprised that they're so behind with the paperwork for some of y'all. I hope this mess isn't indicative of what's to come for the next four paperwork-filled years.

I still haven't received my housing info, so it's somewhat reassuring to see that I'm not the only one. I left a message with Anaka Palmer, but she hasn't gotten back to me yet. Catalyst, I'm just as frustrated as you - I'll let you know if I hear anything.

What's up MSSM c/o 2008! :)

Anyone going to be on the 9th floor?

hey all you .. :)
i just found this today thanks to mr kenji.

YEAH WHAT'S UP WITH THEIR CRAPPY MAILING SYSTEM!! I HAVE NOTHING!!

oh well. despite all that, i'm really excited to move to nyc.

so i heard from some friends that a lot of mssm students claim to partying harder in med school than in college... okay... med school is going to be RIDICULOUSLY FUN if that's true... ;) hehehe

i'm living on the 14th floor ;) party in my room!!!! (heh, hope my roommates don't hate me for that.)

jslow said:
i'm living on the 14th floor ;) party in my room!!!! (heh, hope my roommates don't hate me for that.)

I'm on the 14th as well. We'll have to alternate on the party site :D

Hi MSSM peeps, I'm applying this year to Sinai and was just wondering if anybody can tell me how the financial aid was affected with the financial crisis that they had this year? I'm sure you guys got into other schools as well besides Sinai, so if you could compare the aids that you got at Sinai versus other schools, I will appreciate it tons. Thanks guys and good luck in med school. :D

Dr. Chiquita said:
Hi MSSM peeps, I'm applying this year to Sinai and was just wondering if anybody can tell me how the financial aid was affected with the financial crisis that they had this year? I'm sure you guys got into other schools as well besides Sinai, so if you could compare the aids that you got at Sinai versus other schools, I will appreciate it tons. Thanks guys and good luck in med school. :D

I don't have a standard for comparison. One of the things I heard, though, is that they got rid of their full scholarships (there were 2 or 3 of them). Other than that, I don't think there is much of an issue in terms of financial aid. In fact, according to the school, the school finances are completely separated from the hospital and the school's endowment is actually quite large. Maybe some others can offer better insight, though.

Dr. Chiquita said:

Actually their financial situation has actually improved this year compared to the past years. And from what I've heard and seen (I've worked there for three years) it was never really a "crisis". They're constantly renovating and adding new facilities. It's true that the school's finances are totally separate and that they have a large endowment. I got the impression that they had eliminated the two full scholarships to spread the grant aid around a bit more. I'm not complaining; I got a pretty hefty institutional scholarship from them.

Thanks TRUE & pjv for replying. You guys are telling me exactly what I wanted to hear. :)

sound financial aid, NYC, me like Sinai... :D

Dr. Chiquita said:
Hi MSSM peeps, I'm applying this year to Sinai and was just wondering if anybody can tell me how the financial aid was affected with the financial crisis that they had this year? I'm sure you guys got into other schools as well besides Sinai, so if you could compare the aids that you got at Sinai versus other schools, I will appreciate it tons. Thanks guys and good luck in med school.

Well, I got into more than a handful of top 30 schools, and I can honestly say that the financial aid at Sinai was the best I received anywhere. There was no "crisis" in the medical school after all, it was the hospital that was having some difficulties. And even that problem, according to senior staff members, is almost nearly alleviated with Mount Sinai Hospital headed for the black again this year. Did you notice that their NIH funding actually increased this year from last year? A great sign that they've regained their footing. They've also got many new renovations/new building projects on the docket for the future. Likewise, I chose Sinai because it's one of the country's fastest growing medical institutions in the heart of Manhattan (the most ideal location out of any of the Manhattan schools save perhaps NYU). The hospital's pesky financial problem was a hitch on the way to the top for Sinai... hopefully they're back on track now.

Good luck to you. :)

For those of you who have filled out the Student Health History form:

Local address and local phone = ? I assume they mean your NY info, correct?

OptimallyPrime said:
Well, I got into more than a handful of top 30 schools, and I can honestly say that the financial aid at Sinai was the best I received anywhere. There was no "crisis" in the medical school after all, it was the hospital that was having some difficulties. And even that problem, according to senior staff members, is almost nearly alleviated with Mount Sinai Hospital headed for the black again this year. Did you notice that their NIH funding actually increased this year from last year? A great sign that they've regained their footing. They've also got many new renovations/new building projects on the docket for the future. Likewise, I chose Sinai because it's one of the country's fastest growing medical institutions in the heart of Manhattan (the most ideal location out of any of the Manhattan schools save perhaps NYU). The hospital's pesky financial problem was a hitch on the way to the top for Sinai... hopefully they're back on track now.

Good luck to you. :)

Wow, that sounds great. Thanks for the info. Now, I can be rest assured that I won't have to worry too much about financial aid. Guess I gotta start worrying about getting in. :D Good luck to you, too, in med school.

is there anyone else out there still without housing? we move in in two weeks and i still don't have housing. :mad:

buckythekat said:
is there anyone else out there still without housing? we move in in two weeks and i still don't have housing. :mad:

Yeah bucky, I still haven't gotten any housing info. I left a message with Anaka Palmer last week but she ignored it :thumbdown: I'll probably try calling back tomorrow - it's annoying because when you call they treat you like it's your problem that you haven't received anything yet. I'm not too worried - I just hope we get something soon...

buckythekat said:

I also haven't received any housing info yet... I'm pretty worried, but everytime I call they don't really give me an answer at all

This school's administration is a waste of time, hopefully studying medicine there won't be such a hassle

AD2020 said:
Yeah bucky, I still haven't gotten any housing info. I left a message with Anaka Palmer last week but she ignored it :thumbdown: I'll probably try calling back tomorrow - it's annoying because when you call they treat you like it's your problem that you haven't received anything yet. I'm not too worried - I just hope we get something soon...

You might want to get in touch with Glenda Palmer, the Dean of Student Affairs ([email protected]). She was listed in an earlier email as the person to contact if you hadn't received the initial information about housing. I contacted her to find out if my housing application had been processed and she found out for me.

why is administration at mssm so flakey? i just don't get it. there are only 120 of us. most of us went to much larger undergrad schools that didn't have mailing or housing assignment problems like this.

The Housing Office at MSSM is currently undergoing a shuffling of responsiblity and rank, so hopefully they get that housing information to you all soon. At least they have some sort of explanation for the lag time.

Did anyone else get a W-9 form recently?

I think my W-9 was included with the housing contract packet..

Ah, that makes sense. I was more than a little confused today when I got an envelope from MSSM containing nothing but a blank W-9 form. It looks like I missed it when I was filling out my housing contract a couple weeks back. One more form for me to fill out, yay.