MSSM Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
rCubed and TonyMontana, you've got mail. Check your PM's. :D

Members don't see this ad.

exmike said:
sure, can you hand them out? i want one!
Hey exmike, I think lilstina's got you covered in the extremely near future. ;)

TheFlash said:
Hey exmike, I think lilstina's got you covered in the extremely near future. ;)

wow you guys are fast, just got her IM. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
can you believe we're getting shafted for orientation? only one day of orientation before classes start? and we have lame ass afternoon/nighttime events? that blows. :mad:

buckythekat said:
can you believe we're getting shafted for orientation? only one day of orientation before classes start? and we have lame ass afternoon/nighttime events? that blows. :mad:

Well, I was under the impression that orientation events actually stretch through the first week of school. We only have the one or two days in the dorm before classes start, but orientation keeps going (I think) :).

In case people are lost, check your e-mail...housing has been given out.

TRUE said:
Personally I'm not a big mac fan simply because it costs so much more and quite frankly, there isn't as much software out for it (in my opinion).

That's some bad grass you're smoking.

ankitovich said:
That's some bad grass you're smoking.

Everyone has their own opinions, and you're certaintly entitled to your own. But seeing some of my friends searching for p2p programs throughout college and getting frustrated by not finding any was pretty funny. Not to mention games (not that those will matter once school starts, but yea).

As for the cost, if you really think macs don't cost considerably more than similar pc's, than apple's advertising is doing its job.

housing assignments are being emailed out! ya'll can party with me in 14g1 come this august :)
hehe, any more gmail invites still available? :p

-tony

kenji1124 said:
housing assignments are being emailed out! ya'll can party with me in 14g1 come this august :)
hehe, any more gmail invites still available? :p

-tony

Does anyone know if all the suites are basically the same or if some are nicer than others, etc? It would also be cool if anyone knows what letter suite is closest to the tracks.

I got my housing assignment too. Some suites are 4-person, others are 6-person, but I've got no idea which is which as designated by the suite lettering system they employ. I'm pretty sure that the G suites are located on the side facing the tracks.

I'd like a floorplan, though, if possible. Anyone know where to go one?

As for orientation, it supposedly stretches out until the end of August, culminating in the white coat ceremony on the the 20th. I would rather have a week without classes instead, but it's all good. No use in crying about it.

I wish Flash was going to my school :( You guys are lucky :D

lisa13579 said:
I wish Flash was going to my school :( You guys are lucky :D
:laugh: That's what roadtrips are for! You'll always have a place to stay in New York. :)

TRUE said:
But seeing some of my friends searching for p2p programs throughout college and getting frustrated by not finding any was pretty funny.

Gnutella/Limewire/Bearshare and Kazaa/Fastrack/Poisoned?

Hello?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm... I just called the Housing Office and my housing application hasn't been processed yet (maybe because I turned it in around May 15).. damn damn damn

Crossing my fingers for a suite overlooking central park :D

Personally, I like the fact that orientation is spread out like it is over the first month of classes. I think it'll help ease me into balancing med school classes with extracurricular stuff. If we just had a week of orientation and then classes hard core after that, I think that'd be more shell-shocking

ankitovich said:
Gnutella/Limewire/Bearshare and Kazaa/Fastrack/Poisoned?

Hello?

2 or 3 years ago, versions for the mac did not exist. Newer software is first made for pc's and then ported over to macs. That's just the way it is because of market share obviously. Just simple economics. Regardless, let's just forget this and talk about MSSM :)

TheFlash said:
I'm pretty sure that the G suites are located on the side facing the tracks.

Uh oh. Methinks I'm on the tracks (H suite).

TheFlash said:
:laugh: That's what roadtrips are for! You'll always have a place to stay in New York. :)
Ok, plus I need to visit Roja too. :idea:

TRUE said:
Uh oh. Methinks I'm on the tracks (H suite).
Hmmm not sure about that. My student host's apartment was in suite G on the 8th floor, and that seemed like the only suite that faced the train tracks. Aron Hall is shaped like a skinny (but long) rectangular block. Suite G is on one of the short sides of the rectangle and the only side directly facing the tracks. I think there was only one other door on that side of the building, but that seemed like a janitorial closet or something. Of course, this could be all wrong and only apply to floor 8. :laugh:

Besides, the train noise didn't seem too bad. Only in the late morning/early afternoon was it noticeable.

TonyMontana03 said:
G is track-side.

TonyM

Any idea about H? The way I figure, if G is trackside and it goes alphabetically from A-H (maybe higher), then H is trackside too right? Not that I'm too worried, but it'd be nice to know.

lisa13579 said:
Ok, plus I need to visit Roja too. :idea:

Yeah, you could make it a two-in-one visit! Roja would be one disappointed lady if you didn't make it. ;)

TRUE said:
Any idea about H? The way I figure, if G is trackside and it goes alphabetically from A-H (maybe higher), then H is trackside too right? Not that I'm too worried, but it'd be nice to know.

Check out my post above about suite G. I'm pretty sure it's the only one facing the tracks. Perhaps Catalyst can confirm this, since we stayed at the same place. They've got some convoluted system of doing the suite lettering.

while g is the only one facing the tracks, you can hear the train in E,F,H, and I as well.

TonyMontana

TonyMontana03 said:
while g is the only one facing the tracks, you can hear the train in E,F,H, and I as well.

TonyMontana

Thanks Tony.

Good info, Tony. Looks like I won't be hearing any trains next year, but rather more of the street noise coming from Park Avenue and the cross streets.

I'm curious-- is there any way to tell if you're in a 4-person vs. a 6-person suite?

TheFlash said:
Good info, Tony. Looks like I won't be hearing any trains next year, but rather more of the street noise coming from Park Avenue and the cross streets.

I'm curious-- is there any way to tell if you're in a 4-person vs. a 6-person suite?

I'm sure if you call the Housing Office and ask, they'd let you know whether your suite is 4 or 6 person

For those of you who already have your housing assignments, when did you send in the form? I still haven't heard and I returned my form in early May (would have sent it sooner, but the first info packet that the Admissions Office sent me in Feb. got lost ... surprise, surprise). I think I'll wait until next week to call and nag them.

Just to clarify, you guys do realize that you can't see the Park much less the Reservoir from Aron Hall right? Although Annenberg has some great views.

pjv2410 said:
For those of you who already have your housing assignments, when did you send in the form? I still haven't heard and I returned my form in early May (would have sent it sooner, but the first info packet that the Admissions Office sent me in Feb. got lost ... surprise, surprise). I think I'll wait until next week to call and nag them.

I sent mine sometime in March or April. I can't remember too well (though I think it was March). I'd call them, though they're probably still processing it.

pjv2410 said:

Your situation sounds just like mine! I was also admitted in Feb., but they lost my packet and I turned in my housing form around early May. I called them recently and they said they're still processing my application. So, I'm going to wait another two weeks before calling them again.

I submitted my housing forms in early March and got my housing assignment a few days ago. Hopefully they'll be on top of your housing soon enough, as they're probably assigning stuff based on order of submission.

Catalyst said:
Your situation sounds just like mine! I was also admitted in Feb., but they lost my packet and I turned in my housing form around early May. I called them recently and they said they're still processing my application. So, I'm going to wait another two weeks before calling them again.

Did you check your mail today? My housing assignment arrived today. Anyone else in 10E?

hey, does anyone know if there are physical checkup forms that need to be filled out (which might have gotten lost in the mail)?

i know that mssm requires us to have a physical exam and to have all our immunizations done, but is there some official form that our doctors have to fill out? otherwise, how do they know?

yea, they apparently sent us immunization and physical forms 2 days ago. i'm out of the country right now - but i called three separate times before i left to make sure we wouldn't have to get a physical done - and they said 'no' all three times. but alas, guess what arrives in the mail.

The medical forms they sent are pretty simple. It's just a personal history (what conditions have you had, medications, surgeries, etc...). There is also another sheet to fill out about the meningitis vaccine that you can get. You either have to provide proof that you have taken it or sign off that you don't want it (that's by new york state law for all students, I believe).

That's it.

kenji1124 said:
hey, does anyone know if there are physical checkup forms that need to be filled out (which might have gotten lost in the mail)?

i know that mssm requires us to have a physical exam and to have all our immunizations done, but is there some official form that our doctors have to fill out? otherwise, how do they know?
Yeah, there are some official forms. I just received them snail mail a couple days ago. Nothing major to stress about, though. Standard medical records/immunizations fare.

TheFlash said:
Yeah, there are some official forms. I just received them snail mail a couple days ago. Nothing major to stress about, though. Standard medical records/immunizations fare.

In addition to the history form which you can complete on your own, the information they sent did say that you have to have a physical and some bloodwork done. I called the student health office to see exactly what was necessary and the nurse faxed me the forms for a (very) comprehensive physical exam, some bloodwork, and proof of immunization for MMR, HBV, and varicella. You can get it done at Sinai for free, or go to your own physician.

thanks for all the info guys :)

Ditto, I just got the MSSM housing info and lease agreement via snail mail today. Ack, they want a $543 deposit by next week. :eek:

Just wanted to let everyone know some information that I found out when I called the housing office, since the letter they sent was not that clear.

By the way, avoid calling them if you can. The staff seem uninformed, or uninterested in answering questions.

The letter lists the move-in dates as August 3-8, but you have to choose one and tell them. The lady I spoke to thought that the move-in date was assigned in the letter, but mine wasn't. Maybe it was just an oversight.

The letter says that you can't remove any furniture from the suite, but the lady I spoke to said you can remove the bed if you want to bring your own.

They won't let you look at your room before you move in.

The housing coordinator, Lisa Ryan, whose name appears in the letter, no longer works there.

Hope this helps.

pjv2410 said:
Just wanted to let everyone know some information that I found out when I called the housing office, since the letter they sent was not that clear.

By the way, avoid calling them if you can. The staff seem uninformed, or uninterested in answering questions.

The letter lists the move-in dates as August 3-8, but you have to choose one and tell them. The lady I spoke to thought that the move-in date was assigned in the letter, but mine wasn't. Maybe it was just an oversight.

The letter says that you can't remove any furniture from the suite, but the lady I spoke to said you can remove the bed if you want to bring your own.

The housing coordinator, Lisa Ryan, whose name appears in the letter, no longer works there.

Hope this helps.

The verdict is in. I hate MSSM administrative offices. Anyways, no assignment for me yet, hopefully I'll find out sometime next week in time to send the deposit. :rolleyes:

pjv2410 said:

Hope this helps.
My move in date was assigned in my email. It's on a Saturday. I'm going to call and check to see if I can move in during one of the weekdays when the traffic and congestion is more hospitable to people driving into the city.

Thanks for the info! It's unfortunate that Lisa Ryan, who "signed" the sample lease as of 5/2004 no longer works there. Maybe she transferred to NYU.

I think you can move in any of the days. It says on the yellow sheet that move in for Aron Hall is any of those days from 9-5. I think you are assigned a move in date for the other buildings to eliminate all the congestion, maybe because there are fewer elevators.

Anyway, I got my contract information in the mail on Saturday. It specifically said I had to get in my check and contract in by the 29th (Tuesday). If you can't get it in, or there is any question as to whether you can or not, you're suppossed to call them (bold and underlined instructions). So I did. The women could care less it seems. They really are quite apathetic in the housing office I must say. I asked if she needed my name to write down that my forms weren't getting there on time and she's says, "no, not really, just get them in as soon as possible" (in a condenscending voice nonetheless!!!). Anyone else call if they couldn't get their forms in on the 29th? Did they at least take down your name? It seems kinda pointless for me to call if they're not going to take my name...oh well.

I gave in the housing contract and the deposit in person...they weren't really sure what to do with it. I wouldn't worry overmuch.

Schwing, they let me change my move in date. :) If any of you guys are having trouble with the date you were assigned in the initial email, I recommend that you email Anaka Palmer to see if you can move in on another date more comfortable for you. They have to know what day you're moving in because the doorman needs to have your key handy on that particular day.

TheFlash said:
Schwing, they let me change my move in date. :) If any of you guys are having trouble with the date you were assigned in the initial email, I recommend that you email Anaka Palmer to see if you can move in on another date more comfortable for you. They have to know what day you're moving in because the doorman needs to have your key handy on that particular day.

Are you sure about this? Item #7 on the yellow sheet they sent us says we can pick up our keys on any of the days listed below and tells us to advise them only if we are moving in later than one of these days.

It also says on item B on the next page: "Students moving into buildings OTHER than Aron Hall will be given a move-in date".

I think we can move in any of the given days without telling them in advance...

TRUE said:
Are you sure about this? Item #7 on the yellow sheet they sent us says we can pick up our keys on any of the days listed below and tells us to advise them only if we are moving in later than one of these days.

It also says on item B on the next page: "Students moving into buildings OTHER than Aron Hall will be given a move-in date".

I think we can move in any of the given days without telling them in advance...
Yeah, the yellow sheet was made by Donna Ryan, who no longer works at MSSM. I was assigned a specific move in date in the email. Did you have a date in your email? pjv's phone call with MSSM Housing seems to reconfirm that they want you to select a singular move in date. I'm not 100% sure either way, so I just emailed Anaka Palmer anyway.

TheFlash said:
Yeah, the yellow sheet was made by Donna Ryan, who no longer works at MSSM. I was assigned a specific move in date in the email. Did you have a date in your email? pjv's phone call with MSSM Housing seems to reconfirm that they want you to select a singular move in date. I'm not 100% sure either way, so I just emailed Anaka Palmer anyway.

I was assigned a move-in date in the e-mail, but my theory is that we were all assigned the same one. I got August 6th, which is Friday. Anyway, I actually e-mailed Anika Palmer back that same day I got the e-mail and asked if it was ok to move in another day and she said it was no problem. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry and just e-mail to make sure you can move in whatever day you'd like.

Yeah, definitely better to be safe than sorry. :) I was assigned August 7th, go figure.

Yep, definitely let them know. The yellow instruction sheet is very unclear about that. I never got the email with the move-in date, so when I got my packet in the mail I called. When I called and asked, she let me choose a date, and she checked to make sure that there weren't too many other people moving on that date, so it seems like they do keep track of it somehow.