Mssm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDDM

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any updates from Sinai anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

I just called and the lady said the committee has met and will be sending out letters within the next week. Good luck :)

ivy91 said:
I just called and the lady said the committee has met and will be sending out letters within the next week. Good luck :)

I just called too and the lady said "your file has been reviewed but no decision has been made. So keep waiting motherf...."

Ok, the last part was just imagined. But yeah...wth does it mean when "we reviewed you...but we haven't made a decision yet.....we don't know what to do........................so keep waiting till u die."

ugh

Members don't see this ad :)
Take what you hear with a grain of salt ... when i called a few weeks ago i was told that the committee had met and that my file had been reviewed, but that no decision had been reached. I thought that either I'd been waitlisted and the lady on the phone didn't want to tell me, or that they have some weird pre-decision post-interview committee meeting at Sinai. I then emailed Ms. Bailey, and she replied that the committee had not yet met, and that they would meet to decide the next day. So, if you want the real scoop, I'd email Ms. Bailey directly.

Also, I called yesterday, and for those that have received email acceptances, letters are to be mailed out some time this week.

UCdannyLA said:
I just called too and the lady said "your file has been reviewed but no decision has been made. So keep waiting motherf...."

Ok, the last part was just imagined. But yeah...wth does it mean when "we reviewed you...but we haven't made a decision yet.....we don't know what to do........................so keep waiting till u die."

ugh
Lol....I am in the same boat. I've been complete for awhile, so what's the hold up? I guess it's better to keep reviewing rather than outright rejecting...but is it really worth the wait to just get rejected in the end? I'll keep my fingers crossed for the both of us. :luck:

UCdannyLA said:

ugh

yeah they said the same thing to me with the addition of: "and we cannot give you any sort of timeline."

i emailed kelli yesterday, and just got an email saying i'm on the alternate list...apparently the letters went out a while ago and the mailroom might be a little backed up? :rolleyes:

somewhere2010 said:
i emailed kelli yesterday, and just got an email saying i'm on the alternate list...apparently the letters went out a while ago and the mailroom might be a little backed up? :rolleyes:

Did you get an email reply from Kelli herself or from someone else, if you don't mind me asking? I sent an email to Kelli and got a reply from someone else (assistant director for admissions) saying that I should hear "something" within two weeks. It didn't sound too optimistic, so I'm getting a bit worried.

somewhere2010 said:

And I'm just too damn scared to email them... Did she say when exactly the letters went out?

Also, for the people that have been accepted, what were your stats (if you don't mind me asking)? I'm just trying to figure out if the theory (posted earlier by someone) about only stellar students interviewing and getting in early on is correct. My interview was supposed to be in Jan, but someone cancelled and I got to interview in the second week. I wonder if that's what screwed me over. Cause I have a friend who's a first year at Sinai now, and her stats were worse than mine, but she got in like a week after her interview in Feb...

MDDM said:
Did you get an email reply from Kelli herself or from someone else, if you don't mind me asking? I sent an email to Kelli and got a reply from someone else (assistant director for admissions) saying that I should hear "something" within two weeks. It didn't sound too optimistic, so I'm getting a bit worried.

yeah, i got an email from kelli saying that i got placed on the alternate list and that a letter had been "mailed to me a little while ago" but that their mailroom can be slow getting stuff in and out of the institution. my guess is that they got sent out with the acceptance letters, which i think people said they have yet to receive as well.

somewhere2010 said:
yeah, i got an email from kelli saying that i got placed on the alternate list and that a letter had been "mailed to me a little while ago" but that their mailroom can be slow getting stuff in and out of the institution. my guess is that they got sent out with the acceptance letters, which i think people said they have yet to receive as well.

when did u interview?

So no one heard anything new from mssm this week it seems? So much for the theory that the second wave of decisions comes out this week.

Members don't see this ad :)
MDDM said:
So no one heard anything new from mssm this week it seems? So much for the theory that the second wave of decisions comes out this week.

Well at least this whole situation cured my mail mania. At this point, all my schools will not be getting back to me before Jan, and MSSM will not send me an acceptance letter without sending an email first. So now, the only thing I can expect in my mailbox is an MSSM waitlist (do they actually reject post-interview?), which I definitely am not eager to get...thus, avoiding the mailbox. Btw, when someone gets a letter from them (acceptance or waitlist) can you post on here so that we know that they actually began delivering the letters.

Is there another MSSM thread? B/c I could swear I already posted about this but...anyway, my buddy got a waitlist letter in the mail today. He interviewed the week of Oct. 17th. On with the waiting game... :(

ivy91 said:
Is there another MSSM thread? B/c I could swear I already posted about this but...anyway, my buddy got a waitlist letter in the mail today. He interviewed the week of Oct. 17th. On with the waiting game... :(

Yea there's one titled "MSSM today." And you're right, I think I read that in some thread too... Don't worry... it's not a figment of your imagination :) Best of luck to you all.

Just got the alternate list letter :( Life sucks... I wonder why that happened... my stats are good, and I thought that both of my interviews went great. In fact, one of my guys said to me: "Well, in your case, it certainly looks like the question is not where you get in but where you'll choose to accept, and I hope you'll choose us." And the other one said to me: "I must tell you, I'm in great awe of you. It's really admirable how far you've come." So much for that... So if my stats are good, and my interviews went well, I wonder what did it? Do the interviews not have too much weight? The one thing is that I was 5 minutes late to the "welcome" stuff by Kelly (I got directed into the wrong building and got lost), and it certainly seemed like she took a pretty strong disliking to me (she ignored most of my questions, and did not make much of an effort to talk to me as she did with the other students). Does Kelly have a strong influence on the admission process?

sorry to hear that, nymed...kelli emailed me that i'm waitlisted, but i haven't gotten the letter yet. i interviewed with her and one other person, and i was a little caffeinated and dehydrated, so i appeared really nervous even though i was really relaxed but just needed water! ahaha on the whole though, i thought it went well, and kelli seemed to like me! who knows...

are you gonna stay on the waitlist? does it start moving before may 15? if not, i'm not going to stay on...

somewhere2010 said:
sorry to hear that, nymed...kelli emailed me that i'm waitlisted, but i haven't gotten the letter yet. i interviewed with her and one other person, and i was a little caffeinated and dehydrated, so i appeared really nervous even though i was really relaxed but just needed water! ahaha on the whole though, i thought it went well, and kelli seemed to like me! who knows...

are you gonna stay on the waitlist? does it start moving before may 15? if not, i'm not going to stay on...

It does not start moving before may 15, unfortunately :( Why don't you think you're going to stay on? I probably will stay on because I want to stay in NY, and so far, my only NYC acceptance is from Downstate, which I'm not too hot about.

got the waitlist letter today.

I also got the alternate list letter today. My interviewer said the same thing- "It looks like in your case you'll be getting multiple acceptances and it will be a matter of choice. If it was up to me, you'd be accepted...you're pretty much the perfect applicant...blahblahblah." Seems like they put a lot of people on the list and are trying to weed out who really wants to attend?

NYMed said:
It does not start moving before may 15, unfortunately :( Why don't you think you're going to stay on? I probably will stay on because I want to stay in NY, and so far, my only NYC acceptance is from Downstate, which I'm not too hot about.

i'm from the midwest, so although i really love nyc, i'm still torn between staying out east or going back to the midwest. also, i really liked sinai, but i know i wouldn't hold out to find out if i got in while i have acceptances at two of my top choices anyway! so i'll let someone elsewho really wants it have my spot on the waitlist

sujeti12 said:
I also got the alternate list letter today. My interviewer said the same thing- "It looks like in your case you'll be getting multiple acceptances and it will be a matter of choice. If it was up to me, you'd be accepted...you're pretty much the perfect applicant...blahblahblah." Seems like they put a lot of people on the list and are trying to weed out who really wants to attend?

Sure seems that way to me. I'm not letting my sorry ass get put on MSSM's waitlist though :eek: . NYMed and sujeti, the exact same thing happened to me. My interviewer told me an excessive number of times that I was definitely getting in and he hoped to see me next year…what BS. I mean, I got embarrassed at how many times he said it and didn't know how to respond. I think it’s entirely inappropriate for interviewers to say these things….it’s misleading and it’s well-documented on here that they don’t deliver on their words! Not only that, but personally it was embarrassing for me to hear that I was “definitely getting in” since I usually play modest and all that sh1t, and caught off guard, I just smiled and said “uh huh…” not the smartest reaction, but I wasn’t liking MSSM anyway and it was hard to fake enthusiasm that day. I’m wondering if the same situation happened to you guys, NYmed and sujeti12, and you were waitlisted for not displaying sufficient enthusiasm. To my chagrin, I’ve found that many schools place an exorbitant emphasis on how likely you are to attend their school, and it will inevitably lead to artless people such as myself—people who can’t suck up worth crap—getting waitlisted. Anyway, sorry for the rant on MSSM. I’m already 70% sure of where I’m going next year, but it would’ve been nice to get accepted by MSSM. I’m waitlisted at sooo many schools, my name should be all over that Wall of Lame thread. NYmed and sujeti12, I’m sure you’ve been or you will be accepted to places better than MSSM, so no worries!

oompa loompa said:
Sure seems that way to me. I'm not letting my sorry ass get put on MSSM's waitlist though :eek: . NYMed and sujeti, the exact same thing happened to me. My interviewer told me an excessive number of times that I was definitely getting in and he hoped to see me next year…what BS. I mean, I got embarrassed at how many times he said it and didn't know how to respond. I think it’s entirely inappropriate for interviewers to say these things….it’s misleading and it’s well-documented on here that they don’t deliver on their words! Not only that, but personally it was embarrassing for me to hear that I was “definitely getting in” since I usually play modest and all that sh1t, and caught off guard, I just smiled and said “uh huh…” not the smartest reaction, but I wasn’t liking MSSM anyway and it was hard to fake enthusiasm that day. I’m wondering if the same situation happened to you guys, NYmed and sujeti12, and you were waitlisted for not displaying sufficient enthusiasm. To my chagrin, I’ve found that many schools place an exorbitant emphasis on how likely you are to attend their school, and it will inevitably lead to artless people such as myself—people who can’t suck up worth crap—getting waitlisted. Anyway, sorry for the rant on MSSM. I’m already 70% sure of where I’m going next year, but it would’ve been nice to get accepted by MSSM. I’m waitlisted at sooo many schools, my name should be all over that Wall of Lame thread. NYmed and sujeti12, I’m sure you’ve been or you will be accepted to places better than MSSM, so no worries!

I totally agree. 1) It is incredibly inappropriate to tell someone they'll be accepted during an interview. 2) I also didn't know how to respond because I am modest and definitely not capable of sucking up...I basically said something like, "really??? thank you, that's great" and acted surprised and anxious about the entire med school process (just being myself pretty much). Possibly my slight lack of confidence had an effect. I didn't think going into this process that so much weight would be placed on how much you want to go to a specific school and how much you show that to interviewers/admissions faculty-- this sucks for me, bc I am not the type of person to express those feelings outright- I'd rather be accepted for the right reasons.

oompa loompa said:

WOW... and I thought it was something about me. I've been literally lied to by some interviewers (I won't mention school names, but they're big ones and not-so-big ones). One of them told me that his purpose is to make me go to his school, and I told him how I would love to, so I thought it was great. He even went as far as saying that he would give me his strongest recommendation. A couple of weeks later I was faced with a rejection. Another one said, "Please consider us in your career plans" and was rambling about how great it would be if I went to their school, and I ended up being placed on hold. HOLD!! Not even waitlist, but hold. Those adcoms... They expect the student to be honest, and they make you sign all these vows in your application, only to end up lying to you themselves. How can they take legal action against us if we lied, but we can't take it against them if they did. I don't understand those people. Some of my interviewers were clinicians. Mind you, those are practicing doctors in renowned medical centers who are blatantly, deliberately lying while looking you straight to your eye. My goodness. It freaks me out. Talking about "good character." What a cheap lot.

yeah this definitely scares me now. i was feeling really confident about one school i really like because i had a very long interview that was very comfortable and where the interviewer told me five times that he hopes i choose his school because i'm a perfect fit. i guess they say this to everyone?

NJDUDE said:
WOW... and I thought it was something about me. I've been literally lied to by some interviewers (I won't mention school names, but they're big ones and not-so-big ones). One of them told me that his purpose is to make me go to his school, and I told him how I would love to, so I thought it was great. He even went as far as saying that he would give me his strongest recommendation. A couple of weeks later I was faced with a rejection. Another one said, "Please consider us in your career plans" and was rambling about how great it would be if I went to their school, and I ended up being placed on hold. HOLD!! Not even waitlist, but hold. Those adcoms... They expect the student to be honest, and they make you sign all these vows in your application, only to end up lying to you themselves. How can they take legal action against us if we lied, but we can't take it against them if they did. I don't understand those people. Some of my interviewers were clinicians. Mind you, those are practicing doctors in renowned medical centers who are blatantly, deliberately lying while looking you straight to your eye. My goodness. It freaks me out. Talking about "good character." What a cheap lot.

I think it is important to maintain some perspective. I do not believe that any of thses interviewers have blatantly lied to any of us. Most of them probably believe that you would be a good fit or the wouldn't say it. The onus, however, lies with the Adcom, not the interviewer. I am in the same situation as many of you (though not at Sinai) with an interviewer singing my praises, but later being waitlisted. At my interview, he told me that he would argue stongly for me to come to that school, but that the decision ultimately resided with the Adcom. I think we should give our interviewers the benefit of the doubt, and direct our angst instead towards those who actually in control.

BigMAC said:
I think it is important to maintain some perspective. I do not believe that any of thses interviewers have blatantly lied to any of us. Most of them probably believe that you would be a good fit or the wouldn't say it. The onus, however, lies with the Adcom, not the interviewer. I am in the same situation as many of you (though not at Sinai) with an interviewer singing my praises, but later being waitlisted. At my interview, he told me that he would argue stongly for me to come to that school, but that the decision ultimately resided with the Adcom. I think we should give our interviewers the benefit of the doubt, and direct our angst instead towards those who actually in control.

I don't understand... The ADCOM selected me for an interview, so I am good for them. The interviewer is the liason of the ADCOM (not to mention, in most cases, also a member of the ADCOM), and if he gives a positive report saying that this is the quintessential medical student, and then they waitlist/reject you, then they're either plain stupid or the interviewer lied to you. Perhaps it's a psychoanalysis test to see how you would react to flattering comments, but I still think it's a cheap technique.

NJDUDE said:
I don't understand... The ADCOM selected me for an interview, so I am good for them. The interviewer is the liason of the ADCOM (not to mention, in most cases, also a member of the ADCOM), and if he gives a positive report saying that this is the quintessential medical student, and then they waitlist/reject you, then they're either plain stupid or the interviewer lied to you. Perhaps it's a psychoanalysis test to see how you would react to flattering comments, but I still think it's a cheap technique.

Why would the interviewer lie? They stand to gain nothing by doing so. Each of us has a weakness is our application. Though the interviewer may perceive you to be a strong candidate, the 20+ person ADCOM may not. That is just the nature of the beast.

BigMAC said:
Why would the interviewer lie? They stand to gain nothing by doing so. Each of us has a weakness is our application. Though the interviewer may perceive you to be a strong candidate, the 20+ person ADCOM may not. That is just the nature of the beast.

I'm wondering if it depends a lot on what the other applicants are like that are being reviewed at the same time. For example does it hurt you if you are selected to interview early because of great stats, but then everyone else in your group has great stats and they only allow a certain number in at each meeting. Anyone have the inside story?

Still learning said:
I'm wondering if it depends a lot on what the other applicants are like that are being reviewed at the same time. For example does it hurt you if you are selected to interview early because of great stats, but then everyone else in your group has great stats and they only allow a certain number in at each meeting. Anyone have the inside story?

I don't give much weight to views such as those. I know this process can make even the most secure of us insecure, but those of us on SDN do tend to make a mountain out of a mole hill. If you weren't qualified, they would not have given you an early interview.

BigMAC said:
I don't give much weight to views such as those. I know this process can make even the most secure of us insecure, but those of us on SDN do tend to make a mountain out of a mole hill. If you weren't qualified, they would not have given you an early interview.

And if they gave you a late one, but you called in and were able to get an early one because of a cancelation, does that hurt your chances?

NYMed said:
And if they gave you a late one, but you called in and were able to get an early one because of a cancelation, does that hurt your chances?

So after that initial wave of acceptances there haven't been any additional mssm acceptances?

Just wondering, has MSSM finished interviewing yet? If not, when do they stop?

Thanks!

crzynikki said:
Just wondering, has MSSM finished interviewing yet? If not, when do they stop?

Thanks!

Well if you look at the interview feedback on sdn you would find people who interviewed last year around March. So I suppose March is where it all ends.

MDDM said:
So after that initial wave of acceptances there haven't been any additional mssm acceptances?

When I interviewed in the last week of November, they said that our files will be decided on by the 2nd week of December....so, hopefully the next round of acceptances are at the end of this week. I'm nervously waiting as MSSM is my 1st choice!

desertdr said:
When I interviewed in the last week of November, they said that our files will be decided on by the 2nd week of December....so, hopefully the next round of acceptances are at the end of this week. I'm nervously waiting as MSSM is my 1st choice!

Does anyone know how they notify?? Snail mail / email / phone ??

Thanks! Good luck everyone! :luck: :) :D

sbristow said:
Does anyone know how they notify?? Snail mail / email / phone ??

Thanks! Good luck everyone! :luck: :) :D

Personal email if accepted; waitlist also by email (I think, although most have had to call in!). Both are followed up by snail mail.

anyone hear anything yet? i think only acceptances are notified through personal emails, the rest are just letters. so if you don't get an email by christmas and you interviewed at the end of november, you are probably either waitlisted or rejected.

i haven't heard squat from mssm. no interview, no rejection, nada.

theunderdog said:
i haven't heard squat from mssm. no interview, no rejection, nada.
Me too! I feel like such a loser. I really wanted a chance to see that school in person, because I've heard such amazing things about it.

SuzieQ3417 said:
Me too! I feel like such a loser. I really wanted a chance to see that school in person, because I've heard such amazing things about it.

Whatever happened to the second wave of MSSM acceptances?! :scared:

MDDM said:
Whatever happened to the second wave of MSSM acceptances?! :scared:

i know!!! the wait is killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The next wave will be sent in the week after the New Year, according the the admissions director, who told us that when i was there in early Dec.

Good Luck

bigdogg said:
The next wave will be sent in the week after the New Year, according the the admissions director, who told us that when i was there in early Dec.

Good Luck

Did Kelli tell you whether the "next wave" is the second or third wave? I know there was a first wave of acceptances in mid november, but it's been dead ever since then.