MSTP Chances (522 MCAT, 3.91 cGPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted825071

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check to make sure UWash and UNC take OOS MSTP applicants. Might add some more mid tiers (Rochester, Einstein, etc) if they have MSTP programs too. Other than that, looks good, best of luck. MSTP has a rough application gig, but looks like you've got the app for it.

Check to make sure UWash and UNC take OOS MSTP applicants. Might add some more mid tiers (Rochester, Einstein, etc) if they have MSTP programs too. Other than that, looks good, best of luck. MSTP has a rough application gig, but looks like you've got the app for it.
I believe all MSTP's recruit nationally

Hello, I'm a junior looking to apply MSTP this coming cycle. Looking for advise on school list and final touches for my application! Thanks!

Academics:
  • Major: Biology, Minor: Chemistry & CS
  • cGPA: 3.91, sGPA: 3.88
  • MCAT: 522 (129/131/131/131)
State of Residence: PA
Ethnicity: White/Asian
Undergraduate Institution: Top 10 research university
Research Experience:
  • Epstein-Barr Virus Cancer Biology Lab (3 years, ~2500 hours):
    • Upcoming submission as co-first author to mid-level journal
    • Howard Hughes Research Fellow (funding + poster presentation)
  • Other Epstein-Barr Virus Lab (2 summers, ~500 hours):
    • Was high-school volunteer, but did the same work as the independent study students
    • 3rd author on publication in mid-level journal
    • Can I include this even though it was high school? If so, do I need a recommendation from my PI?
Clinical Volunteering:
  • Cancer Resource Center Volunteer (~100 hours): Connected patients with institutional resources to assist them during their treatment and provided educational materials on their condition.
  • Nursing Home Volunteer (~20 hours): Provided company for patients with various disabilities/Alzheimer's. Was a component of a sociology course I took.
Non-Clinical Volunteering:
  • Science Outreach Club President (3 years, ~100 hours): Work with low-income public elementary schools to provide after-school science activities and demonstrations. As president, I designed the curriculum, distributed materials for lessons, coordinated with school officials, and managed the placement of volunteers. Additionally, I personally ran lessons at one of the sites.
Shadowing Experience:
  • Oncology (~25 hours): Shadowing MD/PhD through my department this semester
  • Can get additional shadowing experience (Ophthalmology) through family friends if necessary...
Other Activities:
  • Research Mentor (1 year, ~10 hours): Provide guidance to incoming students on available research opportunities and fellowships.
  • Clinical Research Experience Program (1 year, ~20 hours): Got to meet lots of translational researchers at my university and hear about their research / experiences in medicine.
  • Club running (3 years): Was part of the club national cross-country team for my university twice. Running is basically what keeps me sane...
School List:

Preliminary ideas (too top heavy?):
  • Harvard
  • Stanford
  • UCSF
  • Penn
  • WashU
  • Duke
  • Columbia
  • Yale
  • UChicago
  • University of Washington
  • Northwestern
  • UMich
  • Pitt
  • UNC
  • NYU
  • USC
  • UVA
  • Mayo
  • Emory
  • Wisconsin

I think it is common wisdom is to leave out high school activities. However, this case might be different. One idea is to mention this HS experience if you have "other/ miscellaneous" for one of you AMCAS activities. Another idea is to include it towards the ends of your "significant research" essay for the AMCAS MD/PhD essay. You are given plenty of characters so it would be easy to add this in at the end of the essay.