MSU-CHM decision today?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There's still hope. Don't give up yet. I'll try and send my good luck vibes your way:luck:

Nomemory:

I think you should start sending letters (and I mean alot of them) to the admissions office. You should update your file with a letter of interest (as I did). Two days later (today), I got a call from Sherri.

I really hope you get in!

Thanks guys! 😳 I actually sent in a LOI a week ago or so. It was super super brief though...probably too brief...it just seems like they have so much to read as it is and I don't really have any updates on my file since I'm out of school. This whole process is so disheartening. The only highlights have been hearing about you guys getting in....especially the re-applicants...it still gives me a huge smile when I think about you guys getting "the call". I can imagine what a long haul it's been and I've been rooting for y'all too. 😀
 
Nomemory..

I think you should send in a letter emphaszing how you want to work with the underserved. I think they really like that. (ahem)
 
Nomemory..

I think you should send in a letter emphaszing how you want to work with the underserved. I think they really like that. (ahem)

That's actually my whole reason for wanting to go into medicine....so I'm sure it came up somewhere in my application and/or interview. Honestly, at this point I'm just kinda drained and dejected. I think I need time to recoup and nurse my wounds before I can spend anymore of myself on this process. I'm hopeful for next cycle but as far as this year goes, I'm beat. 😳
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's actually my whole reason for wanting to go into medicine....so I'm sure it came up somewhere in my application and/or interview. Honestly, at this point I'm just kinda drained and dejected. I think I need time to recoup and nurse my wounds before I can spend anymore of myself on this process. I'm hopeful for next cycle but as far as this year goes, I'm beat. 😳

Hey, you're not alone! I'm still waiting too...And no acceptances yet here either...
 
Hey everyone! Any new news?
I got accepted off the waitlist as an OOS student this Wednesday!
It's very happy news, though I am debating between the acceptance I have at UMDNJ-SOM now, simply because the tuition difference is about $30k/year - 😱
I'll probably see everyone when classes start. Which, by the way, I need to find out when that is....

Good luck those still waiting. I had sent a new LOR, plus an LOI since being waitlisted. Can't say how effective they were, for sure. I doubt they hurt! 😉
 
Hey everyone! Any new news?
I got accepted off the waitlist as an OOS student this Wednesday!
It's very happy news, though I am debating between the acceptance I have at UMDNJ-SOM now, simply because the tuition difference is about $30k/year - 😱
I'll probably see everyone when classes start. Which, by the way, I need to find out when that is....

Good luck those still waiting. I had sent a new LOR, plus an LOI since being waitlisted. Can't say how effective they were, for sure. I doubt they hurt! 😉

Congrats! Let us know the final decision you make between schools and maybe we'll see you in Michigan
 
Originally posted by Nomemory: "This whole process is so disheartening. The only highlights have been hearing about you guys getting in....especially the re-applicants...it still gives me a huge smile when I think about you guys getting "the call". I can imagine what a long haul it's been and I've been rooting for y'all too."

O. M. G. my heart is absolutely melting right now!! you are too sweet!! you HAVE to be our classmate, i absolutely positively insist!! we have to get you in!! and when you get in, we can fly back to the OC together =)

paradocs and Nomemory--seriously, send more LOI's in! I can't imagine they'd hurt. If it helps here is the story that kept me going all these past few months:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=106811
I posted a copy over my bed, another on my bathroom mirror and another over my desk. It really helped keep me going, I hope it helps you guys too. Don't give up yet! There's still THREE MORE MONTHS before school starts. That guy got two acceptances in August!!
I can't imagine any school would fault you for sending in LOI's.. especially MSU. They seem so receptive to students like you guys with a genuine commitment to the underserved! It would be a total shame if you guys weren't with us..so keep plugging. I'll do whatever I can to help you guys see this through.. if you want someone to edit letters, give ideas for letters.. just let us know. I think we all want you guys with us in class next year!

Ihateverbal--i've been looking for housing on rent.com. They give virtual tours and it's been very helpful. I then took the apartments I was interested in and mapped them using google mymaps to see how far they are from campus. I also made sure I asked each place if they had a bus line that stopped directly in front--I figure it'll be impt given the snow. A lot of second years I've talked to have told me that its kinda hard to go wrong with housing in Lansing--most apartments are well maintained and professionally managed, espeically the major complexes like Berrytree and Briarcliffe and 2900 Place. I hope that helps a little.. p.s. I can't remember if I wished you congrats already but if not.. congrats!! Have you tried the University Housing website? They are apparently "suite-style" apartments and they might be able to match you up with another 1st year med student.

Orthodoc40--Congrats man =) I've been totally rooting for you since last September!! I hope you end up joining us but I feel ya on the OOS tuition..

Blackstar82.. haha, I never heard the term Michiganders before.. Then again, I didn't know about the hand phenomenon. I was so confused at the interview for the first couple minutes, because everyone kept pointing to their hands as they introduced themselves. It took me a good two minutes to figure out that people were referring to where in Michigan they are from. When they got to me, I ended up holding my hand up but then pointing at air a foot to the left..

So we all have to go out together sometime to celebrate together during orientation week (and that INCLUDES you paradocs and Nomemory, because you WILL get in!!)

Are any of you guys on friendster? or is everyone on facebook?
 
Thanks! 😀

I sent a letter (i.e., a paragraph) of continued interest but I honestly don't have anything to say in a letter. All I've done since my initial application is work, work, and work, trying to pay for this process. I work in a totally unrelated field so it's not even relevent to medicine (at all). When I'm not working I'm doing my volunteer stuff but it's nothing that wasn't on my AMCAS. Seriously, if I thought there was anything I could do at this point, I would totally do it but I've got nothin'.

I just hope next year goes better...😳
 
You know..I didn't know what to say either. I am in the same boat..working and volunteering. So I ended up talking in my update letter about what I was getting out of volunteering. I talked about specific things I'd done at volunteering (taking vitals, histories, etc) and how it was helping me see how diagnoses came together, like a puzzle, by putting together different pieces of information. I also talked about how the clinic operated, and how I'd learned a little about different practice styles from spending time with the different providers. I guess the point is ANYTHING you've done at clinic since the date of your application can be good subject matter for a letter.

Even your regular work can be good subject matter for a letter. If there is some major project you worked on recently with others, you can talk about the teamwork involved. Things like that..

Then, I spent a good page talking about why I liked the school and what programs I thought I'd be a especially good fit for given my background.

PLEASE don't lose hope!! Seriously.. I know you're down right now... I was feeling like that too until a week ago. But let's say worst case scenario, you don't get in--at least plugging along all summer, writing more letters, will give you the peace of mind at the end that you did EVERYTHING you could. Then you won't have any regrets later. That said, I don't think that's what will happen. I think if you are perisistent but respectful, which you obviously are, they will notice it and you will be accepted this summer. And when you get there, we will TOTALLY go scouting for the best boba place together =)

Chin up.. you can do this! It's totally not too late.
 
We should all hang out before orientation! 🙂

Suite style as in...numerous bedrooms...and everyone shares common living space?

I don't know which to go to..university housing or just to look for a roommmate. =/

I'm OOS and that's one of the big factors too... its 50,000 dollars a year + 20,000 for room/board/living expenses (I'm assuming).

That's so much money =(
 
Noemmory, I really hope you get in. Do you want to see a letter of interest/intent that I wrote? pvt me and I can show you what I talked about...

I would try and find some new reason to update. I am going to serve as an instructor at Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth in Lancaster, PA...so I am going to send that as an update to other schools too.

I even started shadowing physicians at hospitals and sent that as an update just to show I'm doing something. Just find something to do.



🙁 Well I'm sorry you're still waiting but I'm happy to have someone to wait with! 😀 I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
 
Noemmory, I really hope you get in. Do you want to see a letter of interest/intent that I wrote? pvt me and I can show you what I talked about...

I would try and find some new reason to update. I am going to serve as an instructor at Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth in Lancaster, PA...so I am going to send that as an update to other schools too.

I even started shadowing physicians at hospitals and sent that as an update just to show I'm doing something. Just find something to do
 
Paradocs you too!

Go out of staters!

I'm so happy I'll never have to take a verbal section for the rest of my life, ever again!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the congrats, everyone! It was very bittersweet news, coming 12 hours after my mother passed away. 🙁
I'm rooting for everyone still waiting to hear! If I can get in, you can, trust me! 😀
 
Thanks for the congrats, everyone! It was very bittersweet news, coming 12 hours after my mother passed away. 🙁
I'm rooting for everyone still waiting to hear! If I can get in, you can, trust me! 😀

Congrats Orthodoc!

So sorry to hear about your mom. It must be hard. I hope things continue to get better for you.

Good luck to you
 
I wrote a reply, but it didn't go through. It was probably better for you all, because it was long and slightly contemplative in nature.

In short, I wanted to thank you all for the encouraging words. I enjoyed reading the story of that guy who got 2 aceptances in August - link posted by Schpamme.

I wanted to also encourage Nomemory to keep fighting against this extremely disheartening process. I read that you, nomemory, are planning to re-apply next year if things do not work out this year. I am happy that you have that determination. Ofcourse, I hope that you do not need to resort to yet another application cycle, but if that is what it takes for you to get in, then so be it. I'd personally rather have the doctor who is determined to fight for me even I have a 0.1% survival rate than a doctor who never learned the value of persistence.

Good luck to you, nomemory.

Thank you to all who have encouraged me. May you become the best doctors history has ever known.
 
It would be a total shame if you guys weren't with us..so keep plugging. I'll do whatever I can to help you guys see this through.. if you want someone to edit letters, give ideas for letters.. just let us know. I think we all want you guys with us in class next year!

...

So we all have to go out together sometime to celebrate together during orientation week (and that INCLUDES you paradocs and Nomemory, because you WILL get in!!)

🙂 That made me smile. I think YOU, my friend, are terribly sweet.
 
Congrats to all!!!!

I have a feeling we are going to have a pretty sweet class 🙂
 
Congrats to all!!!!

I have a feeling we are going to have a pretty sweet class 🙂

I second that!!! You are all so considerate and encouraging. I'm really happy I chose to become part of what is shaping up to be a super supportive group of people! 😀

Congrats Orthodoc. I know it is tough to make a decision, especially when so much $$ is on the line. I decided on CHM essentially b/c of in-state tuition, but only after being positive I would really be happy here. We'll all be excited if you pick CHM, but you just have to make the decision that will make you happiest both now and in the future (I decided twice as much debt would not make me the slightest bit happy in the future). Also, I'm really sorry to hear about your mom - my thoughts are with you. A few years ago, I almost lost my mom, and I can imagine how much you are dealing with.

Nomemory and Paradocs - DON'T GIVE UP! You are both clearly meant to follow this path. That's evident in how much you want this. I think most people have had a point in this process where they felt defeated, but you have to believe it will work out in the end. We all know you'll get the call - you deserve it!

Can't wait to get together with you all in E. Lansing!!!
 
Thanks for the congrats, everyone! It was very bittersweet news, coming 12 hours after my mother passed away. 🙁
I'm rooting for everyone still waiting to hear! If I can get in, you can, trust me! 😀


Orthodoc..I am so sorry to hear about your mom. If there is anything we can do for you...let us know, okay? She must have been a very special woman, to have raised someone who, even though they're going through a tough time themselves, is able to encourage and buoy the spirits of others.

Can't wait to meet all of you.. it's definitely going to be a fun year for sure.
I have a feeling even the people who aren't on this board are going to be a blast to be in class with. I had the best time of all my interviews at MSU.. people were laughing, joking with each other; even though we had just met there was a huge comfort level already.

Still, you guys are my first MSU friends.. I propose a meetup at that large room with the lounge chairs after the first day of orientation is over. I'll bring the M&M's.
 
Looks like the class is taking shape. Based on the encouraging words and friendly atmosphere here I can't wait for the actual face to face meetings.

I am really looking forward to August. Until then I just have to find housing. Anyone have some tips for a furnished place near school with utilities mostly paid that allows small dogs? Hopefully such a place exists.
 
We should have a get together right before orientation to say hello...

I know that from the buffalo thread (since my roommate talks so much about buffalo), the accepted group was planning a trip to vegas to meet each other.

How fun!
 
We should have a get together right before orientation to say hello...

I know that from the buffalo thread (since my roommate talks so much about buffalo), the accepted group was planning a trip to vegas to meet each other.

How fun!

wow, that would be fun. I was planning a Vegas trip anyway before class so if anyone else wants to try and meet up out there we can. Otherwise, we can try and get together before orientation to have our own pre-orientation
 
Orthodoc..I am so sorry to hear about your mom. If there is anything we can do for you...let us know, okay? She must have been a very special woman, to have raised someone who, even though they're going through a tough time themselves, is able to encourage and buoy the spirits of others.

Can't wait to meet all of you.. it's definitely going to be a fun year for sure.
I have a feeling even the people who aren't on this board are going to be a blast to be in class with. I had the best time of all my interviews at MSU.. people were laughing, joking with each other; even though we had just met there was a huge comfort level already.

Still, you guys are my first MSU friends.. I propose a meetup at that large room with the lounge chairs after the first day of orientation is over. I'll bring the M&M's.


Thanks so much. It's a tough, tough time. Make sure you all get a chance to remind your moms (and dads) how you love & value them - because you will lose that chance some day, possibly sooner than you expect.

This class seems so great! I feel really proud to be a possible member of it with you all. I am considering deferring to give myself & my dad some time to grieve and adjust before having to make yet another big change in our lives, plus I might be able to establish residency if I do that. But I'm almost certainly way older than most of you guys, and don't like the idea of holding off, either. So we'll see.

Nomemory & paradocs - hang in there somehow. Keep sending new LOI's and if you can, a new LOR. Anything - (my student interviewer did tell me to 'pad my file' if I was waitlisted.) But don't give up. I am a reapplicant this year - it is very hard to keep positive, but down deep, keep knowing that you are exactly what they are looking for, and that it is just a matter of time before they figure that out, too!
 
Nomemory & paradocs - hang in there somehow. Keep sending new LOI's and if you can, a new LOR. Anything - (my student interviewer did tell me to 'pad my file' if I was waitlisted.) But don't give up. I am a reapplicant this year - it is very hard to keep positive, but down deep, keep knowing that you are exactly what they are looking for, and that it is just a matter of time before they figure that out, too!

That's the frustrating thing is that I KNOW I'll be (or would be) a great doctor and the kind they'd want to turn out. What I'm NOT good at is being a salesman when I'm the product. On the one hand, yeah that's life and you'll have to sell yourself in interviews for the rest of your life but on the other (and more practical) hand, interviews and the like have always been and will continue to be only a fraction of a fraction of a percent of my life, so it kinda bums me out.

Maybe I'll try to get a LOR from my boss. I dunno. At this point, I feel almost embarrassed to try anymore. It's like, look, if we wanted you, you'd know by now. Leave us alone. 😳


P.S. I wanted to say sorry about your mom earlier, but I too lost my mother so I know how inadequate words are when something like that happens. My thoughts are with you nonetheless.
 
That's the frustrating thing is that I KNOW I'll be (or would be) a great doctor and the kind they'd want to turn out. What I'm NOT good at is being a salesman when I'm the product. On the one hand, yeah that's life and you'll have to sell yourself in interviews for the rest of your life but on the other (and more practical) hand, interviews and the like have always been and will continue to be only a fraction of a fraction of a percent of my life, so it kinda bums me out.

Maybe I'll try to get a LOR from my boss. I dunno. At this point, I feel almost embarrassed to try anymore. It's like, look, if we wanted you, you'd know by now. Leave us alone. 😳


P.S. I wanted to say sorry about your mom earlier, but I too lost my mother so I know how inadequate words are when something like that happens. My thoughts are with you nonetheless.

Thanks so much.

Try to get the LOR from your boss. It won't hurt (will it?!! - just kidding!)
Keep trying. Hang in there.

Some may disagree with me, but I did not mean you need to sell yourself. I just mean that this process can really wear a person down. Keep believing you will be an asset to some school, somewhere - and at some point, someone will agree with you. I know it!
 
Thanks so much.

Try to get the LOR from your boss. It won't hurt (will it?!! - just kidding!)
Keep trying. Hang in there.

Some may disagree with me, but I did not mean you need to sell yourself. I just mean that this process can really wear a person down. Keep believing you will be an asset to some school, somewhere - and at some point, someone will agree with you. I know it!

Oh, no, no, I was just making a general complaint. I like to do that from time to time. 😀
 
Orthodoc

I was considering deferring and gaining michigan residency..
I was told that you have to move there and work, and get a license, and show that you have a lease agreement.

If you are deferring to spend some more time with family, you may not be able to do so if you are deferring to gain residency status (unless everyone moves over)

I talked to the admissions staff...they mentioned that if you are willing to do your residency there, you will get retroactive tuition for 3 semesters....(but residency is two years) and moving there before you start your education is only 1 year. So technically, I think moving there early for 1 year is more worth your time and money.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hope you get in. You're from the OC (I'm originally from North Orange County)

OOStaters represent =)
 
:laugh: Thanks! 👍

Haha.. I'm from OC too-- That makes three of us! (oh wait.. I think I already mentioned that earlier)! Although..I'm southside (Newport). I switched allegiances as a kid.. grew up in Yorba Linda.

Orthodoc, whatever you decide, I'd be excited to have you as a classmate this year OR next.

Nomemory (and paradocs!), I gotta agree.. you have to keep plugging until the end of the season at least. You WILL make a great doctor. And there is really something to be said for persistence. Have you used the statement in your letter "If accepted, I will DEFINITELY enroll?" People say it works wonders, because at this point they are looking to make sure the people they accept matriculate.

I don't think they don't like you and want you to leave them alone.. rather, I think if you show them how persistent you are and how bad you want this, they will listen by the end of summer. There are no guarantees I admit, but think about it--wouldn't you rather admit a candidate who shows persistence and tenacity? That's a surefire indication you will be a good student, and a great doctor. Just keep plugging. I agree that a LOR might help. I sent one from my clinic director a month ago, and it was after that that I got the phone call. Hang in there.. I know its hard not to get discouraged but if you need support, just sign in and let us know. =)

Thanks for all the financial info ihateverbal. Trying to figure out how to finance the OOS tuition is killing me at this point. I want to get a job but I've heard its an absolute no-no. I wonder if they have work study, like at the library. I used to do that in college and it helped somewhat..

Hope all is well and you guys are having a GREAT Memorial Day weekend.
 
Oh wow...I'm from Walnut/Diamond Bar


Haha.. I'm from OC too-- That makes three of us! (oh wait.. I think I already mentioned that earlier)! Although..I'm southside (Newport). I switched allegiances as a kid.. grew up in Yorba Linda.

Orthodoc, whatever you decide, I'd be excited to have you as a classmate this year OR next.

Nomemory (and paradocs!), I gotta agree.. you have to keep plugging until the end of the season at least. You WILL make a great doctor. And there is really something to be said for persistence. Have you used the statement in your letter "If accepted, I will DEFINITELY enroll?" People say it works wonders, because at this point they are looking to make sure the people they accept matriculate.

I don't think they don't like you and want you to leave them alone.. rather, I think if you show them how persistent you are and how bad you want this, they will listen by the end of summer. There are no guarantees I admit, but think about it--wouldn't you rather admit a candidate who shows persistence and tenacity? That's a surefire indication you will be a good student, and a great doctor. Just keep plugging. I agree that a LOR might help. I sent one from my clinic director a month ago, and it was after that that I got the phone call. Hang in there.. I know its hard not to get discouraged but if you need support, just sign in and let us know. =)

Thanks for all the financial info ihateverbal. Trying to figure out how to finance the OOS tuition is killing me at this point. I want to get a job but I've heard its an absolute no-no. I wonder if they have work study, like at the library. I used to do that in college and it helped somewhat..

Hope all is well and you guys are having a GREAT Memorial Day weekend.
 
I definitely will be attending MSU-CHM this fall, and I also am so happy to see that we all seem to be a sweet and supportive bunch. It will make our future study groups a lot nicer 🙂

Question: do all of you already have housing arranged for this August? Or are you waiting a few more weeks before committing to anything?
 
Hi Salsera

I'm sorry to hear about Davis. I figure having a few roommates would be the best opportunity to make some new friends and get the year started right. 🙂

I've been lookign for roommates and i'm trying to get 3-4 people together for a 3-4 bedroom place. I think it's beginning to get late in the season. I'm worried I'm the last one that has not found housing yet.
 
Hi Salsera

I'm sorry to hear about Davis. I figure having a few roommates would be the best opportunity to make some new friends and get the year started right. 🙂

I've been lookign for roommates and i'm trying to get 3-4 people together for a 3-4 bedroom place. I think it's beginning to get late in the season. I'm worried I'm the last one that has not found housing yet.


Hahah, no I'm in the same boat if it makes you feel better! It's definitely hard doing it long-distance like this. =)
 
I decided to bite the bullet and get a 2-bedroom place at Berrytree. I haven't found a roomie yet (pm me people if you are female and interested--preferably non-trad like me) but I think it is better to have a place and not a roommate then have a roommate but no housing.

Owen Graduate housing is still available--that is on-campus housing only for grad students or professional school students. So that is another option 🙂

Yes it is too bad about Davis, but I console myself with the fact that MSU is ranked higher, and it's only 4 years 😉
 
Hey!

It's only 3.5 years. You pretty much have 1/2 the fourth year to do electives anywhere else you want =)
 
Yes plus the first two summers as I understand it 🙂 I am sure it will be a blast. I am actually super excited to get started (rain boots, ginormous parka, and the hassle of moving a gazillion miles northeast into the frozen tundra notwithstanding).
 
Anywhere? For 6 months? Are you sure?
I thought I read somewhere only 3 electives can be outside of the MSU system?

You're right. Only three electives can be outside of CHM, but once you've completed your core clerkships at whichever community you're assigned, you can do any number of electives at any other campus.
 
You're right. Only three electives can be outside of CHM, but once you've completed your core clerkships at whichever community you're assigned, you can do any number of electives at any other campus.

Is there a link where this information is located?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah...I think it's about 3 months you can do anywhere...I wonder if they are flexible with that.

But then again, you usually have 1 month to interview at residency and graduation is in May. So technically speaking, that's at least 4 months.
 
You're right. Only three electives can be outside of CHM, but once you've completed your core clerkships at whichever community you're assigned, you can do any number of electives at any other campus.

Which is great if you want to stay in MI for residency, I suppose. And not bad if you just want to get more electives in. But for those of us who hope to get home again, those measley 3 away electives are going to have to be VERY well targetted, I think!

HH - I'll look around for where I got the info - probably it was in some handout on interview day....
 
Which is great if you want to stay in MI for residency, I suppose. And not bad if you just want to get more electives in. But for those of us who hope to get home again, those measley 3 away electives are going to have to be VERY well targetted, I think!

HH - I'll look around for where I got the info - probably it was in some handout on interview day....

You're correct. The information was in a flyer given to us on interview day. I think it was the one about Block III.