MSU-CHM decision today?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3 months + 1 month interviewing residency = 4 months min

I think they are flexible with your interviewing though. Also, I don't know how rigid this requirement is...but if it isn't-- I'm going to see if its possible to do more away rotations.

Some schools allow you do pretty much the entire year away =/

Members don't see this ad.

blackstar82 said:
You're correct. The information was in a flyer given to us on interview day. I think it was the one about Block III.

Yep. Thanks. I just read through the Block III information from the interview material.

3 months + 1 month interviewing residency = 4 months min

I think they are flexible with your interviewing though. Also, I don't know how rigid this requirement is...but if it isn't-- I'm going to see if its possible to do more away rotations.

Some schools allow you do pretty much the entire year away =/

Tell us what you find! :)

hey you guys--i posted this in the other thread, but i'm bummed to say i won't be your classmate next year. i just couldn't afford the OOS tuition unfortunately. they're both the same for first year, but toledo was a lot less years 2-4 because ohio gives in state residency. i am really sad i won't be in class with you guys but maybe we can plan a meetup at some point.. after all they're only a hour away from each other, and you KNOW i will be coming up to lansing for some korean food since there's none in toledo. good luck to everyone.. no doubt you guys are going to have a BLAST! =) to those still waiting (nomemory, paradocs!) i hope my spot goes straight to you guys! =)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey you guys--i posted this in the other thread, but i'm bummed to say i won't be your classmate next year. i just couldn't afford the OOS tuition unfortunately. they're both the same for first year, but toledo was a lot less years 2-4 because ohio gives in state residency. i am really sad i won't be in class with you guys but maybe we can plan a meetup at some point.. after all they're only a hour away from each other, and you KNOW i will be coming up to lansing for some korean food since there's none in toledo. good luck to everyone.. no doubt you guys are going to have a BLAST! =) to those still waiting (nomemory, paradocs!) i hope my spot goes straight to you guys! =)

Yikes. :eek:

Have fun, Hella! I'm just glad we're gonna be doctors someday. Too weird. :D

Sorry you won't be in the class, but I can totally relate to that decision! The DO degree from UMDNJ for almost half the cost is tempting me greatly...
Good luck with everything!

Yeah Michigan State OOS tutition is really scary. Nomemmory, would you choose MSU or Rosalind franklin?

I'd choose any other school I can get over MSU beacuse of the cost.

Yeah Michigan State OOS tutition is really scary. Nomemmory, would you choose MSU or Rosalind franklin?

Even a DO school? I am really tempted, even though I'm aware some residencies won't be as easy to get, especially here (east coast).

OMG you guys are making this decision even harder to deal with by being so supportive.. I was really, really looking forward to being in class with you guys. Well, if you guys go get dinner the first week like we had talked about back in January/February, then you HAVE to give me a heads-up, and I'll totally drive up. Orthodoc..you know, it's a tough call, but I'd say if you have the choice between MD and DO.. go MD. I know DO's can do most everything physicians can.. but there that stigma about DO schools for some reason persists among MD's. My fiancee was telling me that DO's got treated really, really awfully in his rotations. I don't think that's fair or right, but for what it's worth that's what he said. So if you can somehow work it out I'd go MD.

Oh god.. my interviewers, who were tremendously sweet and kind, and who I had a REALLY good time talking to, emailed me to say congratulations. I am so dreading breaking this news to them. I really, really liked them.

OMG you guys are making this decision even harder to deal with by being so supportive.. I was really, really looking forward to being in class with you guys. Well, if you guys go get dinner the first week like we had talked about back in January/February, then you HAVE to give me a heads-up, and I'll totally drive up. Orthodoc..you know, it's a tough call, but I'd say if you have the choice between MD and DO.. go MD. I know DO's can do most everything physicians can.. but there that stigma about DO schools for some reason persists among MD's. My fiancee was telling me that DO's got treated really, really awfully in his rotations. I don't think that's fair or right, but for what it's worth that's what he said. So if you can somehow work it out I'd go MD.

Oh god.. my interviewers, who were tremendously sweet and kind, and who I had a REALLY good time talking to, emailed me to say congratulations. I am so dreading breaking this news to them. I really, really liked them.

Don't worry about your interviewers or anything. They all realize that you need to chose the place that is right for you and that everbody has their own reasons for making such choices. They also know that they charge up the rear for oos state tuition, so I'm sure you're not the first applicant to change your mind for this reason. Don't sweat it.

Did you interview with Dr. G?

I got an email too =)

I, too, also heard of the stigma associated with D.O.s. My brother in law who is a M.D. told me about the disrespect D.Os get.

Ortho, go M.D. since you were accepted. Alot of people who got into D.O.s would gladly take over your spot, even though it's more expensive. You'll pay it off!

Hey, anyone who interviewed 1/25 get a call yet today? I can't remember exactly what they said regarding decisions, but I'm pretty sure the dean said they would likely have a decision today on us. If not, when did she say they would?

Well my original plan was to request a deferral so I could gain residency...but now that I'm supposed to be starting school in two months, I kinda just wanna get goin', especially since I know I'd be happy at either school. The MSU mission is really compelling and I loved the feel of East Lansing but I'm an older student so that year of waiting kinda hurts. However, the CMS tutition scares me too and I feel like if I had a choice maybe it'd be worth it to wait. I mean, in the grand scheme of things is 1 year gonna matter? Probably not. Fortunately, MSU didn't want me so my decision is pretty easy. :laugh:

OMG YOU GOT INTO BOTH? i thought you only got into Rosalind. See =) Things did work in your favor. I only got into MSU right now.

I hope you come this way. Which are you leaning towards.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought about it...but after being in CA my whole life, I don't know what I really can do during the one year of deferral.

Yes, its one year of your life...let's say you make about 30K-40K during that one year...you save 100K over 4 years tuition...but when you come out you would make about 125K a year at least.

I think it all comes out to be around the same.

OMG YOU GOT INTO BOTH? i thought you only got into Rosalind. See =) Things did work in your favor. I only got into MSU right now.

I hope you come this way. Which are you leaning towards.

This wasn't for me, right? If so, no I didn't. :( See the last sentence of my post. :D

if you have the choice between MD and DO.. go MD. I know DO's can do most everything physicians can.. but there that stigma about DO schools for some reason persists among MD's. My fiancee was telling me that DO's got treated really, really awfully in his rotations. I don't think that's fair or right, but for what it's worth that's what he said. So if you can somehow work it out I'd go MD.

I, too, also heard of the stigma associated with D.O.s. My brother in law who is a M.D. told me about the disrespect D.Os get.

Ortho, go M.D. since you were accepted. Alot of people who got into D.O.s would gladly take over your spot, even though it's more expensive. You'll pay it off!

You guys do know that at MSU we take most of our basic sciences with the osteopathic students in year one right? I'm not saying that either of you are DO haters or anti DO or anything, it's just food for thought.

Yes I think we do know that. I do at least. Which, since MSU's school of osteopathic medicine is ranked 4th in the country among all DO and MD schools for primary care, is just fine by me. :)

You guys do know that at MSU we take most of our basic sciences with the osteopathic students in year one right? I'm not saying that either of you are DO haters or anti DO or anything, it's just food for thought.

In fact, I was told that the COM school has affiliations with better hospital programs than CHM does. I have no idea if that's true or not, but it makes me wonder how that happens.

Yup I know COM and CHM are in the same classes =) That's why I said I don't think its fair or right..because COM students there are unbelievably smart, and nice and helpful from what I could gather. But unfortunately not everyone thinks the way MSU or us here think..

Wait, nomemory you said they didn't want you! The fight ain't over yet..if you want to go to MSU, keep sending in the letters!! Or would you be just as happy at Ros Frank? In which case I think you've totally earned, by virtue of having gone through this crazy process, the right to sit back and be totally content and not do a thing. ;)

I don't think that's (stigma) fair or right, but for what it's worth that's what he said. So if you can somehow work it out I'd go MD.

I'm not a DO hater, but I'm letting you know how some M.D.s out there treat D.Os.

Wait, nomemory you said they didn't want you! The fight ain't over yet..if you want to go to MSU, keep sending in the letters!! Or would you be just as happy at Ros Frank? In which case I think you've totally earned, by virtue of having gone through this crazy process, the right to sit back and be totally content and not do a thing. ;)

I know I'll be happy at CMS too...I just really loved MSU and their mission. Seriously though, I'm just grateful to have an acceptance and both seem like great schools. :)

I'm not saying that either of you are DO haters or anti DO or anything, it's just food for thought.

I'm not saying that any of you are hating on DOs. I got into both programs and chose allopathic myself. I just didn't know if most people were aware that we would all be taking classes together. I am glad about it because 3 good friends of mine from UG are starting in the osteopathic program at the end of this month, so it will be nice to have a few more classes with them.

Nice...It's like we'll have a class of 300. What a great way to meet new friends.

Congrats to all of you who have been accepted to MSU!!!! I have been lurking a bit on your thread. I didn't want to post as the thread doesn't appply to me as I am applying for 2008.

That being said, I have been digging like crazy for any post on secondaries for MSU CHM and can't find any.

If any of you have a minute, could you please post or e-mail the ones from last year??

Thanks so much!

I'm wondering if I was given your open spot, Shpamme!

June 8 - You posted a withdrawal notice. That same day I received this email from Sherri Baker in reply to my request for the status of those in the pool of alternates:
Right now we have a full class. However, that could change over the summer months as a few accepted applicants withdraw. Those of you on the alternate list (about 75) are not ranked. It's a time of wait-and-see for those of you on the alternate list. We will keep you informed if your status changes.​

June 14, 11:44 AM - As I sat at my laptop, eating a bowl of cereal, I checked my email...and read these words:
"Congratulations! You have been accepted to the College of Human Medicine at Michigan State University for the class entering August 2007."​
I spit out my mouthful and said out loud "...what?... what?! WHAT?! OH MY GOD! I GOT IN!!!" and immediately called my parents to share the good news with them. My Dad thought I was kidding, and my Mom screamed before bursting into tears.

Last night, my girlfriend and I got all dressed up and went to an Italian restaurant. I told her I had a surprise, unbuttoned my shirt at the table to reveal a "Trust Me I'm A Doctor" T-shirt underneath, and said "I got into MSU, baby!" This is great for us because she'll also be in East Lansing, earning her Master's in Special Ed, and I'll be at the College of Human Med, with several of you wonderful people ;)

Today, I read through the entire thread and joined the Facebook group. To those of you in it, please send me a message and let me know who you are!

To those of you still waiting, emotionally drained by the application process, I had just about given up all hope as well, and doubted myself and my ambitions to be a doctor. I was going to reapply to medical school and also send some apps to grad programs in psychology, my Plan B. My advice is that in addition to sending CHM reminders of your interest and updates on your activities, as many have already suggested, if you're going to reapply, you can get feedback that could help you out. I was told to go here:
http://mdadmissions.msu.edu/main/handbook.htm
Print out the Self-Assessment Guide, fill it in, and mail it to the Office of Admissions with a cover letter requesting feedback, and include contact info.

:hardy: Jeff :hardy:

congrats Jeff. What great way to tell your girlfriend. I have to wonder though if she thought you were proposing to her since you got dressed up, went out to a fancy place, and then told her you had a surprise for her, LOL.

Either way congrats again and here's to a great entering class of 2007

I'm wondering if I was given your open spot, Shpamme!

June 8 - You posted a withdrawal notice. That same day I received this email from Sherri Baker in reply to my request for the status of those in the pool of alternates:
Right now we have a full class. However, that could change over the summer months as a few accepted applicants withdraw. Those of you on the alternate list (about 75) are not ranked. It's a time of wait-and-see for those of you on the alternate list. We will keep you informed if your status changes.​

June 14, 11:44 AM - As I sat at my laptop, eating a bowl of cereal, I checked my email...and read these words:
"Congratulations! You have been accepted to the College of Human Medicine at Michigan State University for the class entering August 2007."​
I spit out my mouthful and said out loud "...what?... what?! WHAT?! OH MY GOD! I GOT IN!!!" and immediately called my parents to share the good news with them. My Dad thought I was kidding, and my Mom screamed before bursting into tears.

Last night, my girlfriend and I got all dressed up and went to an Italian restaurant. I told her I had a surprise, unbuttoned my shirt at the table to reveal a "Trust Me I'm A Doctor" T-shirt underneath, and said "I got into MSU, baby!" This is great for us because she'll also be in East Lansing, earning her Master's in Special Ed, and I'll be at the College of Human Med, with several of you wonderful people ;)

Today, I read through the entire thread and joined the Facebook group. To those of you in it, please send me a message and let me know who you are!

To those of you still waiting, emotionally drained by the application process, I had just about given up all hope as well, and doubted myself and my ambitions to be a doctor. I was going to reapply to medical school and also send some apps to grad programs in psychology, my Plan B. My advice is that in addition to sending CHM reminders of your interest and updates on your activities, as many have already suggested, if you're going to reapply, you can get feedback that could help you out. I was told to go here:
http://mdadmissions.msu.edu/main/handbook.htm
Print out the Self-Assessment Guide, fill it in, and mail it to the Office of Admissions with a cover letter requesting feedback, and include contact info.

:hardy: Jeff :hardy:

Congo rats!

Hey Fejj!! I'm happy for you, that's awesome news!
Ah, you know though.. I don't know if it was exactly my spot. I think I declined a couple days before posting on SDN..I can't remember. I just recall wanting to get around to posting on SDN to give people hope, and not being able to because of other things going on at the time..
Now we just have to get some of the other people who have been waiting for a while in.. hang in there guys, it's coming.. =)

Congrats, Jeff!!

It's nice everyone is so happy to get into MSU! You must all have in-state tuition to think about....;)