You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
MSU-CHM decision today?
Started by tinker_rebel
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
i called today, and they wouldn't tell me the number of people on the waitlist, but did say they've had a good number of withdrawals, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed for us!!![]()
Does anyone happen to know if they have separate in-state & out-of-state waitlists? I've heard of some schools taking people off the waitlist like that. You know, replace an in-stater with another in-stater, kind of thing?
It probably doesn't matter to anyone here - you are probably all in-staters, but I just wondered.
Good luck everyone!

HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP. I just got a call from the CHM about 30 minutes ago. I got accepted. I can't even begin to say how happy I am. My hands are still shaking, I can't wait to go.
Here's hoping lots of people on this list have good luck today or in the future as well. I need to go celebrate
p.s. I am an out of state student if that makes a difference
Here's hoping lots of people on this list have good luck today or in the future as well. I need to go celebrate
p.s. I am an out of state student if that makes a difference
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got off the alternate list too!! First acceptance...whew good luck all!
Oh, I'm in-state by the way, waitlisted back in October
I'm so excited to meet all you guys🙂 Congrats on those recently off the waitlist!
Did anyone hear about special consideration decision for campuses yet? Of course, now that the waiting to find out if I got in is over, I've moved on to the next step of waiting- where I'll be after first year. I just don't sit still well
Did anyone hear about special consideration decision for campuses yet? Of course, now that the waiting to find out if I got in is over, I've moved on to the next step of waiting- where I'll be after first year. I just don't sit still well

Hey there! Congrats to all of you! I also got off the alternate list. I am so excited! I'll see you guys in the fall.
This is awesome!
This is awesome!
I'm starting to look back through those folders they gave us on interview day....do you guys know if there's any summer break after first year to pursue externships/research or anything like that?
Hey there! Congrats to all of you! I also got off the alternate list. I am so excited! I'll see you guys in the fall.
This is awesome!
I am so happy for you!!!! 😀 😀 😀
Hey there! Congrats to all of you! I also got off the alternate list. I am so excited! I'll see you guys in the fall.
This is awesome!
I am also so very happy for you HH. Congratulations!! PARTY! 😀 (Hopefully I will join you soon...)
Congrats everyone
What a surprise - I didn't know they would be making offers so soon! As Orthodoc said, I hope I join you all soon
Just curious, when was everyone who's been accepted off the alternate list interviewed/waitlisted? I'm wondering if they started by reviewing the earliest files and are still making their way through the pile or if they have already reviewed them all...
Anyone had any luck with admissions as far as finding out how many spots are available or how many people are on the alternate list?
Congrats again 😀
What a surprise - I didn't know they would be making offers so soon! As Orthodoc said, I hope I join you all soon
Just curious, when was everyone who's been accepted off the alternate list interviewed/waitlisted? I'm wondering if they started by reviewing the earliest files and are still making their way through the pile or if they have already reviewed them all...
Anyone had any luck with admissions as far as finding out how many spots are available or how many people are on the alternate list?
Congrats again 😀
Congrats everyoneWhat a surprise - I didn't know they would be making offers so soon! As Orthodoc said, I hope I join you all soon
![]()
Just curious, when was everyone who's been accepted off the alternate list interviewed/waitlisted? I'm wondering if they started by reviewing the earliest files and are still making their way through the pile or if they have already reviewed them all...
Anyone had any luck with admissions as far as finding out how many spots are available or how many people are on the alternate list?
Congrats again 😀
Thanks! I was interviewed in January and was put on the alternate list at the end of February. Good luck to you!
I am so happy for you!!!! 😀 😀 😀
Thank you! This is my second application cycle. I can't believe it's happening!
Thank you! This is my second application cycle. I can't believe it's happening!
This was my 3rd application cycle (although not in succession) so needless to say I am ecstatic about this. i still can't belive I am going to be an MD.😱
Good luck to everyone else waiting--hopefully this thread fills up with people who are just as happy
Also, I interviewed 02/2006 and was put on the alternate list 04/2006.
I really hope a whole bunch more of you get the call, then we can all celebrate together
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats everyoneWhat a surprise - I didn't know they would be making offers so soon! As Orthodoc said, I hope I join you all soon
![]()
Just curious, when was everyone who's been accepted off the alternate list interviewed/waitlisted? I'm wondering if they started by reviewing the earliest files and are still making their way through the pile or if they have already reviewed them all...
Anyone had any luck with admissions as far as finding out how many spots are available or how many people are on the alternate list?
Congrats again 😀
i interviewed at the end of march (might have been the last day) and was placed on the alternate list at the beginning of april. not sure what order they are reviewing the alternates...
Hey guys,
I'm back on SDN after an extended absence (got really sick this past month). I just got the call this morning too!! The lady who spoke to me was so nice and gracious. First acceptance and I don't think I'll ever forget where I was when it happened. I'm ashamed to admit I have no idea who I talked to though--I don't know if it was Dean Shafer or someone else. I was too in shock to remember anything; the entire conversation on my end consisted of three phrases: "ok" and "thank you so much" and "i think i'm going to cry." (yeah, i know, *entirely* professional, right?) Then two hours I started second guessing myself about whether the call actually happened, so I went back and checked the received calls section on my cell phone.. there it was, sure enough--a call from a 517 area code lasting for all of 0 minutes 58 seconds. I locked the call entry on my cell phone so it will stay there for a long time to come. =) How are you guys going to celebrate? I'm going to get a HUGE mushroom burger tomorrow and eat it on the beach.
Congrats to all of you, and a special shout out to Gipper and HH--I was rooting for you guys. Guess this means we will have to go out for dinner when we get there! Take care and good luck to everyone still waiting. If it helps anyone I am OOS, interviewed early Feb, notified of alternate status late Feb I think.
I'm back on SDN after an extended absence (got really sick this past month). I just got the call this morning too!! The lady who spoke to me was so nice and gracious. First acceptance and I don't think I'll ever forget where I was when it happened. I'm ashamed to admit I have no idea who I talked to though--I don't know if it was Dean Shafer or someone else. I was too in shock to remember anything; the entire conversation on my end consisted of three phrases: "ok" and "thank you so much" and "i think i'm going to cry." (yeah, i know, *entirely* professional, right?) Then two hours I started second guessing myself about whether the call actually happened, so I went back and checked the received calls section on my cell phone.. there it was, sure enough--a call from a 517 area code lasting for all of 0 minutes 58 seconds. I locked the call entry on my cell phone so it will stay there for a long time to come. =) How are you guys going to celebrate? I'm going to get a HUGE mushroom burger tomorrow and eat it on the beach.
Congrats to all of you, and a special shout out to Gipper and HH--I was rooting for you guys. Guess this means we will have to go out for dinner when we get there! Take care and good luck to everyone still waiting. If it helps anyone I am OOS, interviewed early Feb, notified of alternate status late Feb I think.
Hella! I'm so happy for you too!
I think I'm the only one who didn't get in. 😳 Now that you guys are all in, can you send me your good vibes? 😀
you got mine😀 . Good luck and keep us updated
Hella! I'm so happy for you too!
I think I'm the only one who didn't get in. 😳 Now that you guys are all in, can you send me your good vibes? 😀
Don't worry - I didn't get in either, so you're not alone! Hopefully, good things will come to those of us who wait 😉
Sorry for all the questions, but for everyone who got in yesterday, was MSU your first acceptance or have you been admitted elsewhere? I'm frantically trying to figure out how they are going through the alternates 😕
It was my first acceptance...
blackstar82, did you do anything to show your interest in the school? I know I wrote 2 update letters (one each month I was on hold), submitted new grades from my current masters program, and called on monday to make sure they received everything and to let them know I was still very interested in them.
Other people who got off the waitlist, did you update your files as well, or was it just me being insane and neurotic?
Other people who got off the waitlist, did you update your files as well, or was it just me being insane and neurotic?
blackstar82, did you do anything to show your interest in the school? I know I wrote 2 update letters (one each month I was on hold), submitted new grades from my current masters program, and called on monday to make sure they received everything and to let them know I was still very interested in them.
Other people who got off the waitlist, did you update your files as well, or was it just me being insane and neurotic?
I sent a letter of thanks to admissions and my interviewers right after the interview in January. When I was put on the alternate list (in February), I sent a letter of interest detailing my interests in their program and why I am a good fit for the program. When another publication of mine was accepted in March, I wrote a letter telling them about that and highlighted the other activities I have been involved in (I'm working full-time in research and have been out of undergrad for a few years). After I was accepted elsewhere, I wrote another letter confirming that MSU is my first choice despite my acceptance. Finally, I wrote a somewhat lengthy response to their email last week asking if I wished to stay on the alternate list.
I also have exchanged emails several times with a woman at the admissions office to confirm they had received everything I've sent.
I hope what I did wasn't overkill - I just wanted to be in contact with them at least once a month while on the waitlist. I am wondering if they are offering places to people who don't have other MD offers first because they are certain those people will accept. I told them point-blank in my email last week that CHM is my first choice...I just hope they believe me! 😱
Congrats to all of you, and a special shout out to Gipper and HH--I was rooting for you guys. Guess this means we will have to go out for dinner when we get there! Take care and good luck to everyone still waiting. If it helps anyone I am OOS, interviewed early Feb, notified of alternate status late Feb I think.
Thank you!
blackstar82 said:Sorry for all the questions, but for everyone who got in yesterday, was MSU your first acceptance or have you been admitted elsewhere?
It is my first acceptance.
I sent a letter of thanks to admissions and my interviewers right after the interview in January. When I was put on the alternate list (in February), I sent a letter of interest detailing my interests in their program and why I am a good fit for the program. When another publication of mine was accepted in March, I wrote a letter telling them about that and highlighted the other activities I have been involved in (I'm working full-time in research and have been out of undergrad for a few years). After I was accepted elsewhere, I wrote another letter confirming that MSU is my first choice despite my acceptance. Finally, I wrote a somewhat lengthy response to their email last week asking if I wished to stay on the alternate list.
I also have exchanged emails several times with a woman at the admissions office to confirm they had received everything I've sent.
I hope what I did wasn't overkill - I just wanted to be in contact with them at least once a month while on the waitlist. I am wondering if they are offering places to people who don't have other MD offers first because they are certain those people will accept. I told them point-blank in my email last week that CHM is my first choice...I just hope they believe me! 😱
Sounds like you have done a ton already and I do not think it is overkill. It is possible that they are going down the list by who has not been accepted anywhere yet, but who knows.
If you don't mind my asking, where did you get accepted? Would you go there if MSU does not pan out?
Aww.. nomemory and blackstar, I'm *sure* it will work out. And no blackstar, I don't think it was overkill. Just hang in there.. they seem really nice and caring about the whole process. It was my first acceptance too!
Take care!
Take care!
Hey all out-of-staters who just got in, can you tell us what states you are from? I will start: I am from California.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck today to everyone still waiting to hear!! 

Didn't get in off the waitlist, but I'm an OOSer (Illinois) and this was my first acceptance...
congratulations to those who got accepted. i just withdrew my acceptance to MSU-CHM but wanted to share how much i liked it there. wish you all the best!
Sounds like you have done a ton already and I do not think it is overkill. It is possible that they are going down the list by who has not been accepted anywhere yet, but who knows.
If you don't mind my asking, where did you get accepted? Would you go there if MSU does not pan out?
I got accepted at Penn State. I will definitely go there if I don't get into MSU, but I really would rather go to MSU. I won't pretend like the money isn't a factor (MSU is half as much for me as PSU), but truly I am in love with the LMU program.I want to dedicate my career to working with the underserved, and CHM is the only school I found with such a great program to help me achieve that goal. Please keep hoping for me everybody!
I got accepted at Penn State. I will definitely go there if I don't get into MSU, but I really would rather go to MSU. I won't pretend like the money isn't a factor (MSU is half as much for me as PSU), but truly I am in love with the LMU program.I want to dedicate my career to working with the underserved, and CHM is the only school I found with such a great program to help me achieve that goal. Please keep hoping for me everybody!
My ex-girlfriend goes to Penn and she loves it. It is a great program that I visited a bunch of times. Yeah, it will cost you more to go, but it is an wesome program with a close knit feel like MSU. Good luck, and keep us updated
Just got the call from Sherri Baker in Admissions!!!! 😍 😀
I guess I was all worked up for nothing! Thanks for the support, and I look forward to meeting everyone in August!
I guess I was all worked up for nothing! Thanks for the support, and I look forward to meeting everyone in August!
Congrats blackstar! 🙂 Are you from Michigan?
Awesome, congrats
. Join the facebook group and RELAX. All that worrying and now you know you will be a doctor, enjoy it. I know that fact hits me every so often at random times and I can't help but smile. Congrats again and I can't wait to meet everyone in August
. Join the facebook group and RELAX. All that worrying and now you know you will be a doctor, enjoy it. I know that fact hits me every so often at random times and I can't help but smile. Congrats again and I can't wait to meet everyone in AugustJust got the call from Sherri Baker in Admissions!!!! 😍 😀![]()
I guess I was all worked up for nothing! Thanks for the support, and I look forward to meeting everyone in August!
Just got the call from Sherri Baker in Admissions!!!! 😍 😀![]()
I guess I was all worked up for nothing! Thanks for the support, and I look forward to meeting everyone in August!
Congo rats!
Congrats blackstar! 🙂 Are you from Michigan?
Yes, I have lived in Michigan my whole life, and as much as Michiganders love to complain about the weather, I am happy to be staying here! 😀
Just got the call from Sherri Baker in Admissions!!!! 😍 😀![]()
I guess I was all worked up for nothing! Thanks for the support, and I look forward to meeting everyone in August!
👍
I got a call this morning too from Sherri
I'm from CA by the way. It's my only acceptance right now.
I'm from CA by the way. It's my only acceptance right now.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations! I was rooting for you. You must be deliriously happy (I know I was) 🙂
I really am the last man standing. 🙁
Maybe next year. 😳
There's still hope. Don't give up yet. I'll try and send my good luck vibes your way

Nomemory:
I think you should start sending letters (and I mean alot of them) to the admissions office. You should update your file with a letter of interest (as I did). Two days later (today), I got a call from Sherri.
I really hope you get in!
I think you should start sending letters (and I mean alot of them) to the admissions office. You should update your file with a letter of interest (as I did). Two days later (today), I got a call from Sherri.
I really hope you get in!
THanks Salsera..I really want to go to Drexel/UC-Davis. Didn't you apply to UC Davis too?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 699