MSU CHM vs Drexel and Univ. of Kansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBMX

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I've been accepted to MSU CHM and Wayne. I had interview coming up with Univ. of Kansas and Drexel Univ. Please let me know what you think about these schools? I'm a Mich residents. So far, I think I'll go to MSU CHM due to several reasons:
1/ In-state tution
2/ PBL at second year, at the hospital
3/close home
However, I heard that these schools are solid as well. I'm positive about my interview skills that I can get into these schools. I don't want to spend $500 for something that I'm not going to. That's why I need you guys here. Please feel free to share your ideas.
Thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
I've been accepted to MSU CHM and Wayne. I had interview coming up with Univ. of Kansas and Drexel Univ. Please let me know what you think about these schools? I'm a Mich residents. So far, I think I'll go to MSU CHM due to several reasons:
1/ In-state tution
3/close home
However, I heard that these schools are solid as well. I'm positive about my interview skills that I can get into these schools. I don't want to spend $500 for something that I'm not going to. That's why I need you guys here. Please feel free to share your ideas.
Thanks so much

It sounds like you already made up your mind. Relax and get excited for MSU!!!

...why would you pick MSU over Wayne State?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,
1/ In-state tution
3/close home
Thanks so much
:eek: Wow. just wow.

I'd at least give Drexel a try. I'm also from Michigan and really liked Philly when I was there on my UPenn interview (but I'm not getting my hopes up because I'm not positive about anything).

Hi there,
1/ In-state tution
3/close home
Thanks so much

The notion the $500 is a issue, considering the amount you will spend on medical education alone, is astounding. Compared to the debt that medical education puts you in, $500 is something to wipe your a** with. Go check out the other schools bud. How can you be so sure that you will get in? Unless you have a 3.9 from a good private school and you rescued taiwanese babies from sharks, while curing cancer and performing in an orchestra during your leisure time - you should take whatever opportunity you can get. Besides, you might like KC or Philly. You never know. Don't just assume that you will be accepted everywhere you interview.
Good luck.

:eek: Wow. just wow.

I'd at least give Drexel a try. I'm also from Michigan and really liked Philly when I was there on my UPenn interview (but I'm not getting my hopes up because I'm not positive about anything).

Well I hope you're not bitter about this application season. I mean, if worse comes to worse, you could use WashU as a backup. :smuggrin:

Well I hope you're not bitter about this application season. I mean, if worse comes to worse, you could use WashU as a backup. :smuggrin:

Shucks, I guess if I have to. Definitely not bitter, but always conservative in setting my hopes. I was just alarmed by the OP's statement considering there are people, like Anastasis and Towelie, who have perfect ap records at real top schools, and they don't go around blaring their records or interview confidence.

Shucks, I guess if I have to. Definitely not bitter, but always conservative in setting my hopes. I was just alarmed by the OP's statement considering there are people, like Anastasis and Towelie, who have perfect ap records at real top schools, and they don't go around blaring their records or interview confidence.

That is definately a good quality. Even with the best records, one should not be so cocky as to under-interview considering all of the variables.

I'm not sure if I said this to you or someone else the other day but...please don't go to MSU over Wayne..

I'm not sure if I said this to you or someone else the other day but...please don't go to MSU over Wayne..

Why do so many people here hate on MSU, especially when comparing it to Wayne?? :confused:

To the OP, consider going to your interviews. You may land up LOVING one or both of the other schools, and deciding to get away from MI for a while... who knows? You can always turn down those acceptances once you get them. Why limit yourself before you even try them out? For $500??? Nahhh.

Guys,
Thanks so much for your input. I really appreciated it. I'm sorry that if I sound over-confident about myself. Sometimes I feel so excited and I couldn't control myself. I have no denies so far, just acceptances and wailist.

I'm not sure to pick MSU over Wayne yet but I don't like the fact that Wayne will have over 250 students this year. While at MSU I'll be the first class of West Michigan Medical School (50 students), new Derm department (possible residency by the time I graduate, I like derm), aslo, I'm doing some research with MSU faculty now. I don't really know how much a name of med school will impact residency. From my research, MSU and Wayne are about the same, both have con and pros. For those who pick Wayne over MSU, could you please tell why?

I'm working full-time now and I don't have any more days left for vacation. I'm going back to my native country next month (English is not my mother language). I guess I will try Drexel, but that will be in March, not Feb (Since I'm away). Interview in March at Drexel, I don't think I'm lucky again. Anyone here interviewed at Drexel or KU yet?

Again, thanks so much.

In terms of Wayne over MSU, Wayne's clinical experience is generally regarded as being some of the best in the midwest. MSU, from what I hear, currently sends their students to other places all over the state for rotations because of their lack of facilities in Lansing. Also, people seem to think of MSU CHM moving to Grand Rapids as if it's some great opportunity. This may just be my opinion, but my understanding of it is that they're doing it because the current situation is not at all desirable. I would look at their move to Grand Rapids as being evident of a weakness and somewhat of a risk more than some kind of exciting renovation.
In terms of location, I know that Wayne is not ideal but most of the students who I know that go there say that campus is safe, and that there are things to do and nice places to live in the immediate surrounding areas. For research, I don't know that much about either but would be surprised if one was much better than the other. Finally...just on a personal level, I have never heard anyone say anything bad about the Wayne Med School. I understand there was the whole issue with the DMC but the med school was still good. I HAVE heard countless people talk about what a crummy school MSU is.

In terms of Wayne over MSU, Wayne's clinical experience is generally regarded as being some of the best in the midwest. MSU, from what I hear, currently sends their students to other places all over the state for rotations because of their lack of facilities in Lansing. Also, people seem to think of MSU CHM moving to Grand Rapids as if it's some great opportunity. This may just be my opinion, but my understanding of it is that they're doing it because the current situation is not at all desirable. I would look at their move to Grand Rapids as being evident of a weakness and somewhat of a risk more than some kind of exciting renovation.
In terms of location, I know that Wayne is not ideal but most of the students who I know that go there say that campus is safe, and that there are things to do and nice places to live in the immediate surrounding areas. For research, I don't know that much about either but would be surprised if one was much better than the other. Finally...just on a personal level, I have never heard anyone say anything bad about the Wayne Med School. I understand there was the whole issue with the DMC but the med school was still good. I HAVE heard countless people talk about what a crummy school MSU is.
Grand Rapids is really trying to set itself up as a magnet for medical research and talent, and MSU moving there is part of the picture. I'm excited because it's one of the only knowledge based businesses left in Michigan (goodbye Pfizer). Personally, I've expressed my distaste for MSU (OP, use search to look up other MSU v. Wayne threads), but the OP has a point about the massive class size. It's got to throw off the F:S ratio, and the lecture halls don't even have enough room for the students (last year, and now they're further expanding). To me, Wayne is almost becoming a doctor factory, just churning out an impersonal mass of doctors.

Heh, in my opinion, but perhaps because its my alma mater, I'd say go with U of M instead of either of them. Also, back to OP, be carefule, and humble. No denies isn't a perfect record; a lot of schools don't send them out until April.

MSU is not moving to GR, it is expanding to GR. EL will have the same number of MD medical students, with an additional 50 students going to the West Michigan Medical School.

MSUs medical schools were created in the 70's to be the medical schools for the entire state of Michigan, and rather than build another giant academic hospital in EL, they decided to utilize existing hospitals throughout Michigan.

Grand Rapids is really trying to set itself up as a magnet for medical research and talent, and MSU moving there is part of the picture. I'm excited because it's one of the only knowledge based businesses left in Michigan (goodbye Pfizer). Personally, I've expressed my distaste for MSU (OP, use search to look up other MSU v. Wayne threads), but the OP has a point about the massive class size. It's got to throw off the F:S ratio, and the lecture halls don't even have enough room for the students (last year, and now they're further expanding). To me, Wayne is almost becoming a doctor factory, just churning out an impersonal mass of doctors.

Heh, in my opinion, but perhaps because its my alma mater, I'd say go with U of M instead of either of them. Also, back to OP, be carefule, and humble. No denies isn't a perfect record; a lot of schools don't send them out until April.

impersonal mass of doctors? I think you are putting too much in to the basic science years... It's just more crap to throw in to your head... I don't think you begin to learn how to be a real doctor until your clinical years, and I think you already know that Wayne is top notch in that dept.

class size is getting big... but we will be facing physician shortages pretty soon, which will actually be larger in michigan than most of the rest of the country. So all 4 michigan schools are expanding to fill that need.

Wayne is also trying to significantly expand it's research focus. The new dean at the school is bringing in quite a few dollars, and they're pumping in alot of money in to courting more NIH funding through various new facilities and initiatives... but both these schools will live in the shadows of UMich when it comes to research, and I don't think that should be their primary focus in the first place... the expansion to the med school building looks pretty sweet, too.

I'd say overall:
Wayne:
-wants to stay in SE Michigan
-wants to be a great clinician

MSU-CHM:
-wants to stay in more rural or west Michigan
-heavily interested in primary care

Michigan:
-academic or research medicine
-wants to be part of the greatest University in the country :D

MSU is not moving to GR, it is expanding to GR. EL will have the same number of MD medical students, with an additional 50 students going to the West Michigan Medical School.

MSUs medical schools were created in the 70's to be the medical schools for the entire state of Michigan, and rather than build another giant academic hospital in EL, they decided to utilize existing hospitals throughout Michigan.

MSU is slowly moving over... By 2011 or so, all medical students will be in GR, with only some administrative buildings left in EL

impersonal mass of doctors? I think you are putting too much in to the basic science years... It's just more crap to throw in to your head... I don't think you begin to learn how to be a real doctor until your clinical years, and I think you already know that Wayne is top notch in that dept.

class size is getting big... but we will be facing physician shortages pretty soon, which will actually be larger in michigan than most of the rest of the country. So all 4 michigan schools are expanding to fill that need.

Wayne is also trying to significantly expand it's research focus. The new dean at the school is bringing in quite a few dollars, and they're pumping in alot of money in to courting more NIH funding through various new facilities and initiatives... but both these schools will live in the shadows of UMich when it comes to research, and I don't think that should be their primary focus in the first place... the expansion to the med school building looks pretty sweet, too.

I'd say overall:
Wayne:
-wants to stay in SE Michigan
-wants to be a great clinician

MSU-CHM:
-wants to stay in more rural or west Michigan
-heavily interested in primary care

Michigan:
-academic or research medicine
-wants to be part of the greatest University in the country :D

I somewhat agree, as I've said earlier that if forced I'd pobably do Wayne over MSU, but the over-sized class size and aging (and rat-trap filled buildings) are still something to consider. The class size comes into play in that you may be competing against many others to work with or shadow certain faculty members (higher probability of another student with same interests as you). I do get frustrated, however, when people reduce top Universities to only research facilities. I'm probably planning on a primary care career, but want to have the option of doing a more specialized or tertiary field if I so desire. Also, I want to be able to shadow some of the top clinicians in the country. To me, the top universities represent the most options. It's also worth noting that UM is top 30 in both research and primary care, and MSU is top 20 in primary care, whereas Wayne doesn't crack the top 50 in either (USNews is to be taken with a grain of salt, of course, but still to be considered).

Back to the questions, how do you guys think about MSU vs Drexel? I think I will go to a school that I feel most comfortable and give me the most opportunity for residency. From what I heard, real clinicians and researchers at Lacks Cancer Center, MSU CHM produces great docs (one of them is rad oncologist at Lacks). I also learned Wayne produces the biggest number of docs in Michigan, no wonder why everyone knows about Wayne. With a class size of 50 and new medical facility (Spectrum Medical Complex) in West Michigan, I still lean toward MSU this time.
@humbleMD: make sense. I want to go to U Mich too, but not interview yet. I'll try.:)

MSU is slowly moving over... By 2011 or so, all medical students will be in GR, with only some administrative buildings left in EL

To quote Dr. Rappley the CHM dean:

"I want to stress that the expansion in Grand Rapids is not a move of the medical school. We seek to establish new partnerships in Grand Rapids that will enable the college to make a significant contribution to health and medical education in the Grand Rapids community, and allow the college to benefit from the superb health and research institutions of this community. The governance and processes of MSU and CHM will remain intact. College affairs will be accountable through the Dean, the Provost, the President of the university and the MSU Board of Trustees. All curricular matters will be controlled by the college curriculum committee, as is true for all academic units in the University.

Our expansion does not change the character of our community based campus system. Flint, Kalamazoo, Lansing, Saginaw and the Upper Peninsula continue to be critical components of our educational system. We will create a new core of teaching faculty in Grand Rapids, beginning with the dedicated individuals already teaching for us in Grand Rapids who are interested in working with us to establish the expanded program."

http://chm.msu.edu/MessagefromDr.Rappley.asp

Back to the questions, how do you guys think about MSU vs Drexel? I think I will go to a school that I feel most comfortable and give me the most opportunity for residency. From what I heard, real clinicians and researchers at Lacks Cancer Center, MSU CHM produces great docs (one of them is rad oncologist at Lacks). I also learned Wayne produces the biggest number of docs in Michigan, no wonder why everyone knows about Wayne. With a class size of 50 and new medical facility (Spectrum Medical Complex) in West Michigan, I still lean toward MSU this time.
@humbleMD: make sense. I want to go to U Mich too, but not interview yet. I'll try.:)

alright... back to your question. I'd say scrap those interviews. In-state tuition is very hard to trump, and I don't think you'd find anything in Drexel or Kansas that would change your mind

To quote Dr. Rappley the CHM dean:

"I want to stress that the expansion in Grand Rapids is not a move of the medical school. We seek to establish new partnerships in Grand Rapids that will enable the college to make a significant contribution to health and medical education in the Grand Rapids community, and allow the college to benefit from the superb health and research institutions of this community. The governance and processes of MSU and CHM will remain intact. College affairs will be accountable through the Dean, the Provost, the President of the university and the MSU Board of Trustees. All curricular matters will be controlled by the college curriculum committee, as is true for all academic units in the University.

Our expansion does not change the character of our community based campus system. Flint, Kalamazoo, Lansing, Saginaw and the Upper Peninsula continue to be critical components of our educational system. We will create a new core of teaching faculty in Grand Rapids, beginning with the dedicated individuals already teaching for us in Grand Rapids who are interested in working with us to establish the expanded program."

http://chm.msu.edu/MessagefromDr.Rappley.asp

alright, then... I was misinformed :thumbup: it's been a while since I looked at MSU's website