MSU CHM vs OUWB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SkyGuy007

Reaction score
OUWB
Pros
  • Better hospital affiliation? Better Training in M3 M4 years.
  • Closer to where i want to live/ great community
I am interested mostly in emergency medicine and don't think that will change but of course I cant say that for sure.

Cons
  • More expensive ( same In state and OOS prices) but seems that cost of living in the area may be better
  • Newer/ lesser known (does anyone know if this school is considered lower or higher prestige?)

MSU CHM
Pros
  • More well known school. (Potentially a better chance at matching into residency from here?) I see that they also have more people match into EM residencies
  • Cheaper (In State tuition)- definitely cheaper tuition wise but I have lived in and around GR for years and I know its expensive and East Lansing is about the same as far as I know.

Cons
  • Rural medicine heavy? PCM? I am way more interested in non primary care areas. Really anything else so this is a tough one .
  • Further from where I want to live as above. (Long term girlfriend is in grad school in flint and this is much closer although I am weighing this pretty low because anywhere in Michigan is still pretty close.
  • I am not really stoked about the idea to potentially move to one of the Northern satellite campuses midway through my schooling.

Summary: The interview process at OUWB and general community "Vibes" I got were amazing. I really just fear that as a newer school, there will be fewer opportunities compared to other more established schools. MSU CHM is an older school and is certainly more affordable. Really at a loss here but I would say I am leaning towards OUWB. Any advice or personal experience would be very helpful.

I was also wait listed at Wayne State and that would probably beat out either of these schools. Thoughts on that?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Beaumont loves to match from their own school, giving you a massive leg up if you choose to stay in the area or do something competitive. Even though there are only a little over a decade old, they have had consistently excellent match lists in basically every specialty all across the country. MSU CHM does not give you the same opportunity when you look at their match lists. Also, based on MSAR, students at OUWB graduate with LESS debt on average (220K at OUWB bs 232K at MSU CHM). OUWB culture is fantastic and all of my friends who go there now absolutely love the school for its professors and curriculum (more so than my friends who go to MSU CHM and MSU COM).

Personally, I would pick OUWB over Wayne State too (OUWB has better COL, facilities, small class size, etc...).

Disclaimer: accepted to OUWB as well and rejected by MSU CHM pre-II

Beaumont loves to match from their own school, giving you a massive leg up if you choose to stay in the area or do something competitive. Even though there are only a little over a decade old, they have had consistently excellent match lists in basically every specialty all across the country. MSU CHM does not give you the same opportunity when you look at their match lists. Also, based on MSAR, students at OUWB graduate with LESS debt on average (220K at OUWB bs 232K at MSU CHM). OUWB culture is fantastic and all of my friends who go there now absolutely love the school for its professors and curriculum (more so than my friends who go to MSU CHM and MSU COM).

Personally, I would pick OUWB over Wayne State too (OUWB has better COL, facilities, small class size, etc...).

Disclaimer: accepted to OUWB as well and rejected by MSU CHM pre-II
Check out the OUWB Match list from last year: #74

Reactions: 1 user