MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted the 8th. Found out in class and freaked out!
3.88s GPA 3.9c
Two MCATs, the first was a 9VR, 6PS, and 9BS for a 24Q
The second was a 9VR, 7PS, and 10BS for a 26M

I received my second MCAT score at 5PM the night before my acceptance. I'm going for a school tour Oct 28th. Good luck to all still waiting!

Got the email today :) Complete on Aug. 18th.

hey guys got the email today @ ~1:00 pm...#1 choice IS
Official Stats Breakdown
cGPA 3.64
sGPA 3.65
MCAT 25Q PS: 7 VR: 8 BS: 10
Volunteer: ~1500 hrs.
Extracurricular: ~3000 hrs.
Work: ~7500 hrs.

For all of you out there who have reapplied or have done poorly on the MCAT I feel your pain. I got a 16 & 17 last year on my MCAT, I buckled down and never gave up. YOU can do it and do not let anyone tell you you can't.

Best of luck to everyone and CONGRATS to my future fellow classmates

hey guys got the email today @ ~1:00 pm...#1 choice IS
Official Stats Breakdown
cGPA 3.64
sGPA 3.65
MCAT 25Q PS: 7 VR: 8 BS: 10
Volunteer: ~1500 hrs.
Extracurricular: ~3000 hrs.
Work: ~7500 hrs.

For all of you out there who have reapplied or have done poorly on the MCAT I feel your pain. I got a 16 & 17 last year on my MCAT, I buckled down and never gave up. YOU can do it and do not let anyone tell you you can't.

Best of luck to everyone and CONGRATS to my future fellow classmates

Congrats. Here is my official stats as well.

Undergrad and Sci 3.76
DDS degree 3.46 (not counted on AACOMAS)
MCAT - 7P, 9V, 9B - 25 M
16000 hours practicing general dentistry
approx 1500-2000 Volunteer/EC hours.

Wow interesting to see that some of you were accepted at night...and one person on a Thursday. Whew I guess that takes some of the pressure off of Wednesday mornings, so some of us might just get a surprise on a random day :). I'm glad to see people with similar stats are getting accepted. One question I had was where do you find your ACCOMAS science GPA...I've been looking and I can't seem to find it.

Congrats everybody!!

My first mcat was a 26 and my second one was a 31...do you think they won't look at my application as seriously because it might appear to be a "safety school"?

It's definitely not, just for the record--one of my top choices for in-state :)

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT: 27O and 35M

cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.29

~800-900 hrs of volunteer.

So I've noticed that the people who have been accepted so far (congrats!) have high gpa's with mcats around 25-29, whereas my gpa is fairly low with a high mcat score.

So heres my question to those that are familiar with the msu admissions,
Is my gpa too low to be seriously considered?
Are rejections given out the same day as acceptances(i have this fear that i've been rejected but not notified yet)?

sigh...

Wow interesting to see that some of you were accepted at night...and one person on a Thursday. Whew I guess that takes some of the pressure off of Wednesday mornings, so some of us might just get a surprise on a random day :). I'm glad to see people with similar stats are getting accepted. One question I had was where do you find your ACCOMAS science GPA...I've been looking and I can't seem to find it.

Congrats everybody!!

Nevermind I found it!!

3.82s 3.88c
26M
600 vol/shadowing
1550 EC
1600 working
IS

waiting (not so) patiently!!

Read the website. There is a lot of good points about what they look for in terms of GPA, Sci GPA and Science courses. With a 35 mcat I wouldn't worry too much. How's your EC's and life experiences??

So I've noticed that the people who have been accepted so far (congrats!) have high gpa's with mcats around 25-29, whereas my gpa is fairly low with a high mcat score.

Are rejections given out the same day as acceptances(i have this fear that i've been rejected but not notified yet)?

sigh...

sigh...

I think they tend to look at your more recent grades (like if you have an upward trend with your GPA) as well as your grades in 3000-5000 level biology courses. Congrats on that MCAT, that is impressive!! Where else did you apply?

sigh...

I had similar GPA/MCAT and more volunteer hours.

Quantitatively they're basically looking for a 27 MCAT, 3.6 GPA and 800 volunteer hours. Your MCAT will offset the GPA. I would expect your file to get looked at fairly soon. For what it's worth, they have only given only about 15% of their total offers.

If your file is looked at and deemed not good enough, you are placed on the "low priority" wait list (there is a high priority list). AFAIK, no one has gotten off the low list in the past five years. So that is effectively a rejection for MSUCOM unlike most school's wait lists.

When does the school send you the email that allows you to track the status of your secondary? I sent it out about a week and a half ago. Also, did anybody have any problems with any of their materials getting lost. Sending it via mail scares me a little bit.

When does the school send you the email that allows you to track the status of your secondary? I sent it out about a week and a half ago. Also, did anybody have any problems with any of their materials getting lost. Sending it via mail scares me a little bit.

If I remember correctly there is a link inside one of the downloads for the secondary...maybe the secondary instructions thing had the link...then you click on it and type in your email just like logging in the the secondary and it sends you an email showing what stuff they have received.

If I remember correctly there is a link inside one of the downloads for the secondary...maybe the secondary instructions thing had the link...then you click on it and type in your email just like logging in the the secondary and it sends you an email showing what stuff they have received.
Thanks! Found it.

What campus does everyone want to go to? Do we have a facebook group yet?

I had similar GPA/MCAT and more volunteer hours.

Quantitatively they're basically looking for a 27 MCAT, 3.6 GPA and 800 volunteer hours. Your MCAT will offset the GPA. I would expect your file to get looked at fairly soon. For what it's worth, they have only given only about 15% of their total offers.

If your file is looked at and deemed not good enough, you are placed on the "low priority" wait list (there is a high priority list). AFAIK, no one has gotten off the low list in the past five years. So that is effectively a rejection for MSUCOM unlike most school's wait lists.

I was accepted off the low priority waitlist last cycle. It can happen!

i am just getting my MSUCOM completed app in now. is this so late that it greatly reduces my chances or requires me to have extra wonderful stats? very nervous here. somehow i thought i read earlier that getting them in by end of sept was okay, but then i read to the contrary. HELP!!!!

Thanks for answering guys!:cool:

i am just getting my MSUCOM completed app in now. is this so late that it greatly reduces my chances or requires me to have extra wonderful stats? very nervous here. somehow i thought i read earlier that getting them in by end of sept was okay, but then i read to the contrary. HELP!!!!

Thanks for answering guys!:cool:

You are fine, you will get a fair shot.

Looks like we will just be seeing one another through a large screen then!

Does anyone know how many students are typically at each campus?

Hi guys,

Perhaps the answer is a few pages back but I didn't feel like rummaging through all the information...it's Friday!

Anyway, I started receiving my secondary applications a week ago and have received all but one of them...MSUCOM. I know if you apply you get a secondary as long as you meet some minimum GPA and MCAT requirements. My question is, should I have already received a secondary and call the school? Or do they send them out in waves?

Hi guys,

Perhaps the answer is a few pages back but I didn't feel like rummaging through all the information...it's Friday!

Anyway, I started receiving my secondary applications a week ago and have received all but one of them...MSUCOM. I know if you apply you get a secondary as long as you meet some minimum GPA and MCAT requirements. My question is, should I have already received a secondary and call the school? Or do they send them out in waves?

some schools are in waves... I heard. If you feel you are competitive and did not receive a secondary then calling cant hurt. if you are not within 2 of their average MCAT score(low side) or .2 to .3 of their GPA then perhaps you are not as competitive.

I was accepted off the low priority waitlist last cycle. It can happen!

o_O You're the first person I have ever heard of this happening to. Interesting.

Hi guys,

They send them out in mass if you meet the absolute minimums.

How long does it take for the official packet to arrive? When is the first deposit due?

How long does it take for the official packet to arrive? When is the first deposit due?

My documents arrived within three days of me confirming my attendance, so I would imagine it would be within a week or less of your acceptances. Not sure when the first deposit is due--for those of us who deferred last year, it is due by the end of this month. At any rate, the date will be included in what they send you. Congrats! :)

I just wanted to say congrats to everyone who received an acceptance! Also, good luck to those who are still waiting to hear! I deferred my acceptance last year, so I will be joining the class of 2016. I'm so excited and I'm looking forward to meeting some future classmates. I know it's early still, but I made a facebook group. So if you know you will be in the MSUCOM class of 2016, consider joining the group :)

I'm looking forward to it too. I don't live too far from Detroit so if anyone wants to meet up on a weekend, I'd be up for that.

Thanks! I just requested to join the group!

My birthday is Wednesday and I hope to receive the best birthday present ever in the form of an acceptance to MSUCOM.

Have any Canadians received acceptances yet??

I submitted on 8/31.... getting anxious already since this is my best shot!

Really hoping to get in here! I've already submitted everything except my MCAT which I just received today; a 29Q. I'm an IS student and have a 3.91 cGPA and a 4.0 sGPA. I'm only applying DO and this is a tie for my first choice along with ATSU SOMA. The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that I don't have a many volunteer experiences, I'm a non-trad finishing my bachelors and do not have much time to volunteer. I hope I get in and get to meet all of you! Good luck to everyone else in your application endeavors!

Just wanted to wish everyone good luck for tomorrow!

I'm not sure about always, but the majority of the time they seem to go out around 10 am or 1 pm EST. What part of canada are you from?

Hoping for some MSUCOM love today! Good luck everyone.