MSU versus VMRCVM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamvet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so. . . .any input on VMRCVM's program versus Michigan's program?

Since Michigan never did interviews this year, I haven't even been to the campus (it cost too much just to go to 6+ interviews).

so all i know is:
Michigan is a LOT colder
and Michigan's rank is 9th according to US news.

Members don't see this ad.

My vote is for Michigan...all I have heard are great things about it, and one of the equine vets I worked with went there and LOVED it. Va-Md is great too, but I think you have to decide how much you want to do tracking or not ... Congrats on both!!!!:)

Don't worry about the tracking thing. I am tracking food animal and 60% of the my studies/casework etc. will still be small animal. We still have to pass the boards after all.

Quality of living might be an issue. I don't know where Michigan is located (the school, not the state, heh) but Va Tech is in a relatively small ultra liberal town in the beautiful not ultra liberal mountains. I like it very much, but it is not for everyone. My number one consideration when I choose last year was price, but if neither is instate for you, I am not sure if that is as much as a factor for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm OOS for both and actually accepted my Virginia spot (never wait listed).

i just got the offer from michigan today and had to at least take 1-2 days to think about it before writing it off. i've heard such good things about it.

but i was getting really psyched for vmrcvm and i haven't been to visit michigan yet

both are in the early 40's this year.
MSU is about 3-4k more

My two cents, I have a friend that went to MI. I have also heard that they produce great equine vets (don't know what area you are interested in). I don't know much about VM

Ultra liberal? Hmm I have never gotten that impression...we're pretty balanced. I've lived in Blacksburg for over seven years now and I adore it. If you are outdoorsy and like tight knit communities, it is definitely for you. Of course you have to put up with undergrads, but you have to do that at any institution. we're quite a unique little town, lots of interesting nooks and crannies.

what area of veterinary medicine are you most interested in? Each school has its strengths. I don't know much about MI (I have presented at symposiums there and I do very much prefer Blacksburg to Lansing, but I am totally a mountains/hiking person haha so I am biased...I do like the campus though and they do have a great program of course) but can give my input in various areas of VMRCVM.

You say liberal like it is a bad thing :) I was just pointing out that in the last election SW VA was a sea of red, with a screaming blue island in Montgomery County where Blackburg is located. I used to live north of here in the Allegheny Highlands, which had all the beauty of Blackburg (maybe more, dare I say it) but was very conservative, so Blacksburg is a wonderful combo as far as I am concerned. There are many more cultural opportunities, movies, events etc. here because of the liberal atmosphere which I like.

I am not sure I believe all that much in the "what schools are known for" thing. I guess the way I looked at it is that you get what you put into your education, and if you want a good equine or dairy or whatever background, you can get one anywhere. I looked more at where I could have a better quality of life, which is why I ended up at Va Tech, though I was accepted to schools that had a better "reputation" according to the rankings. There is a thread over on the vet forum about the downside of vet med from someone attending a highly ranked school, so I would not take ranking into much account.

I know this may seem irrelevant, but it might be worth considering the current/future economy. My understanding (which may not be accurate) is that Michigan is suffering more than some other states due to some level or reliance on auto manufacturing, which could affect the rest of the economy, including the vet school.

thanks for all the posts.

I am debating. I go between small animal specialty (neurology/behavior) and public health.
and I do have two years before I have to choose a track at VMRCVM.

for those virginia students: IF i chose the corporate/industry track, and then decided I wanted to do a residency in small animal internal medicine or something of that sort, am I still competitive for it? I'm just wondering how much my chosen track determines my future career. although I do like the idea of concentrating in one area (if you know what you want to do by then, it's a great option)

I recently made a trip to MSU for the Welcome Day and I obviously really liked what I saw haha. The campus is HUMONOGOUS first of all and there are lots of undergrads but the vet campus is pretty separate in its own little area on the edge of campus. East Lancing is a beautiful little place with lots of shops, restaurants, etc, but there are plenty of farms surrounding it (so in my opinion, the best of both worlds!). I didn't visit Lancing so I can't really comment on that, but I just really liked the community around MSU.

In terms of the vet campus, they have well-maintained labs, student centers, library etc and a pretty big small animal hospital. The large animal hospital isn't as state of the art as say, Iowa, but its still adequate. The oncology ward is sparkly new and very cool. I was impressed.

The program is 2 1/2 years classroom learning and 1 1/2 clinical rotations with no tracking. I believe for my first semester classes they have two classes which I really liked called "Veterinary Clinical Exam and Techniques" and "Ethical and Animal Welfare Issues in the Veterinary Profession." It's just nice to get a little hands on and broader learning in the first semester (not sure about VM sorry:(!). They also said the hospitals were open to 1st years and the doctors were very nice to students and encouraged them to help with cases.

So yeah, if you have any questions, feel free to ask...but I'm out of state so I may not be able to answer! These are just some things I noticed while there.

Good luck deciding!

You can apply for whatever residency you want no matter what you track. First year everyone takes the same classes, and I just signed up for second year classes semester 1 and I am still taking 90% of the same classes as everyone else. I don't know how much this will change as I go along, but since we all have to pass the NAVLE I would assume we will all get a general enough education to get a residency wherever. What will matter for residency will be your grades and getting good references.

I can't speak much for public health or small animal medicine (I am not concentrating on either at Va, though I am getting my MPH elsewhere) but if What's the Frequency escapes from clinics she might be able to comment on public health at least.

I would also like to point out that I went swimming outside today, I bet you can't do that in Michigan right now :)

seems like i'm going to VMRCVM.
considering i'm going in 4 days to blacksburg to look for apts, lol.

where are you doing your MPH? an online program? or you're going after you finish your dvm, cause that is something i might be interested in.

I am doing a program concurrently with the University of Minnesota, I take classes on-line in the summer and I went for 3 weeks last summer to their summer institute. I am not going this year (no time) but think I will only have to go a week or two next year to complete any missing credits. Something like 17 or 19 of the credits I get at Va Tech transfer over to the MPH, which was the most attractive part of the program, plus because it is mostly on-line I only have to pay in state tuition. I should get my MPH in 2011, definitely before I graduate vet school.

Google the program and if you have any specific questions contact Kate Hanson, her email is on the website, she is very helpful and can tell you all about the program.

The weather has turned so bring your raincoat!

I've heard great things about Minnesota's MPH program, and the great thing is that you can enroll in it whichever school you choose to attend :)

thanks for the info. i will def look it up!

we do have multiple public health courses in the P/C track (but anyone can take them as electives, our tracking system is very fluid).

General Public Health is actually a required core class, but then we have Advanced Public Health, various Emerging Infectious Diseases courses, a few Public Policy courses, International Veterinary Medicine, etc. There are a lot of international opportunities in the public health arena, esp with regards to subsistence agriculture and conversation (Heifer International is a big one, you may have heard of it). Dr. Bettye walters And Dr. Kevin Pelzer are the people to talk to about that, and I can also give you a few contacts in my class who have done a lot of public health related externships, etc if you would like, just shoot me a PM.

I may not respond immediately because I am off to Purdue for 3 weeks in a couple days here (frantic packing haha!), but I should be around enough to help you out :)

In terms of neurology, we so have a neurology team with some great people including a neuro resident and a neurosurg resident. Dr. Karen Inzana is our head neuro person, and the resident is Dr. David Geiger (I am pretty sure that is his name). Dr. B. Klein does a lot of neuro research in addition to his clinics and it a really fun person to talk to. I can't remember the neuro/surg resident's name, but she should be listed on the website somewhere.

Also, if you want opinions on apartments, I have lived around town a lot (did my undergrad here as well) and can give you advice.

we used to have a dual MPH program with UMD but there was not enough interest at the time so it fell flat. There are other ways to get the dual MPH thing like what fargeese is doing though.

Last edited:
You can apply for whatever residency you want no matter what you track. First year everyone takes the same classes, and I just signed up for second year classes semester 1 and I am still taking 90% of the same classes as everyone else. I don't know how much this will change as I go along, but since we all have to pass the NAVLE I would assume we will all get a general enough education to get a residency wherever.

You definitely get less and less core stuff as you go along. Spring semester 2nd year there's several more elective options and even more 3rd year. Everyone takes the same core classes, but there's fewer core classes as you go and more track and elective classes. Which made course selection really difficult for me this time around because there's sooooo many options for fall 3rd year and I can't take them all. :)

I really like the tracking option. I get a good bit of coverage of equine and food animal in the core classes, but get to focus on the small animal stuff in my track classes. It's a really good balance.

Anyway, I wish you luck in your apartment hunting. Don't let the rain bum you out. :)

thanks for all the info.
I actually settled on the foxridge graduate housing.
seems like a good plan for first year. might be a little more money than i'd like to spend, but better to have my own place and then pick a house to share AFTER i know who i'd want to live with.
plus. if i'm taking out 200k+, what's another 2k. . . :oops:

Foxridge is indeed expensive but it is very pretty, lots of places to walk, and the maintenance people are extremely helpful and timely. You have a problem and they are right over.