MSUCOM vs. WesternU-Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Timeless:)

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am lucky to have multiple acceptances this cycle.
I have lived in California all my life and my support system is in California. But it seems like MSUCOM has better facilities and I only heard good things about the school online (I heard MSUCOM is one of the top DO programs in the nation, please correct me if I am wrong).
I made a list of pros & cons, and would really appreciate some advice. (Cost of attendance is not an issue as they seem to be similar).

WesternU
Pro:
  • Established program (I heard they took care of the accreditation issue)
  • Pass/Fail (Not really but I guess)
  • Good board scores / Prep
  • Close to home
Cons:
  • Less competitive match list
  • Not-so-great clinical rotations
MSUCOM
Pros:

• Better facilities
  • Good access to research
  • Good board scores
  • Good student experience
Cons:
  • Far from home
  • Cold weather
  • Seems to care less about DO students recently. (Heard they made DO students share the curriculum with PA students. Not sure if this is bad so please correct me if I am wrong).
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m assuming MSUCOM is significantly more expensive than Western U is for you and that you likely want to match back to CA. If that is the case, I think Western U wins.

However if that doesn’t matter and all you care about is becoming as competitive as possible, MSUCOM will give you more mileage.

You can’t go wrong with either so imo it just comes down to where do you want to match vs what do you want to match into.

I’m assuming MSUCOM is significantly more expensive than Western U is for you and that you likely want to match back to CA. If that is the case, I think Western U wins.

However if that doesn’t matter and all you care about is becoming as competitive as possible, MSUCOM will give you more mileage.

You can’t go wrong with either so imo it just comes down to where do you want to match vs what do you want to match into.
The cost of attendance is similar.
If I want to match in California then it would be WesternU, but if I want to match into ortho then it would be MSUCOM, right? Could you possibly tell me how MSUCOM would be ideal?
I have always wanted to do anesthesiology but it seems like it is getting competitive too...

MSU COM tends to match into more competitive specialties for whatever reason (specifically look at the Detroit campus because I would guess it has the best ortho program among the three locations). Check out MSU COM's last few match lists. Those rival some bottom-tier MD schools in my opinion. If you wanted to do anesthesiology, WesternU could do that easily (again, look at their last three match lists!) if you dedicated yourself to it. However, I know at least three Western U Pomona Ortho Surgs who graduated in the last 5 years. Completely possible to match into Ortho at Western U too, but it might be a little bit harder. Consider the fact that the majority of medical students change their minds.

I would only place a deposit into one school and honestly, I think WesternU would be the one to get it. Love the program (and location lol) and their focus to take medicine into the next century.

Everything is getting more competitive as more efficient and effective resources become public. Just need to keep up!