MSUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mister Significant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
l

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I doubt it'll change how many applications they get tbh.

Reactions: 1 users
Or will I luck out, and will less people apply to the school for moral reasons? I know what happened was bad and I’m being selfish, but I want to be a doctor, I want to get there anyway I can.

...seriously???

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For the sake of everyone in the medical field, most importantly patients, please don't carry your mentality into medical school... sheesh.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello y’all,

I’m a Michigan resident applying in the future 2019 DO cycle.
With lower end stats (cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.35), I will definitely have to apply broadly. However, I am fortunate to be in-state for MSUCOM.
Will MSUCOM face ramifications for the happenings of this last year?
Possibly. It may unfortunately affect plans to include new medical school construction with the upcoming McLaren hospital on campus. I sincerely hope not -- but the extent of the Nassar fallout keeps ballooning.
Or will I luck out, and will less people apply to the school for moral reasons?
No, I don't think application numbers will be affected.

Hello y’all,

I’m a Michigan resident applying in the future 2019 DO cycle.
With lower end stats (cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.35), I will definitely have to apply broadly. However, I am fortunate to be in-state for MSUCOM.
Will MSUCOM face ramifications for the happenings of this last year?
Or will I luck out, and will less people apply to the school for moral reasons?

This is a ridiculous post. MSUCOM has an immense network of grads all over the country - especially Michigan. Do you honestly think one bad seed will take down a medical school that had nothing to do with what he is doing, other than being the school he graduated from? No.

e.g.) There was a doc from UofM purposely mis-diagnosing people with cancer a few years ago so he could make money off of chemotherapy. Do you consider UofM school of medicine any less prestigious? Do you honestly think UofM trains their docs to kill people with un-necessary chemotherapy? No. Obviously they don't. In fact, UofM has been expanding in recent years - they took over Metro Health all the way on the west side despite what happened.

I realize Nassar's situation is different, but the point is no, MSUCOM will not be any less competitive than normal. Will we see a dip in applications this year? Sure, maybe a tiny dip. Will it be enough to change the average GPA/MCAT of the entering class? No.

That being said, MSUCOM sent me an interview invitation with stats similar to yours (not sure what your MCAT is though.) If you write compelling essays you have a shot at MSUCOM.

The real question with Nassar is: will we as DO students face increased adversity in the future because of Nassar's attempt to justify his gross practice with OMM? And I think in the short term - maybe. Long term? Nah. People will forget about it.