This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piscean92

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I have recently been considering MSW at the University of Maryland because I want to take the LCSW route to directly start doing psychotherapy. Now the problem is that I don’t have much work experience..I have only volunteered at Johns Hopkins Hospital twice and shadowed a doctor. I guess the volunteer work at JHH can be considered social work experience because I was helping out patients. However, for the recommendation letter, I have lost contact with the supervisor. The only references that I seem to have at the moment are the professors from psychology and biology departments (since I majored in those). Do you guys think that would work fine if I were to ask only the professors for recommendation letters? Also, if accepted, I won’t start school until Fall 2018 and I want to get some social work type experience before that, but I am having a really hard time finding jobs (paid mainly). What should I do in order to get some good experience..what type of work? Does volunteering at Crisis Text Line and a Hospice sound good?
(Also some background info, I was a pre-med..didn’t get accepted into med schools and there is a slight possibility I might try applying to med schools again after my masters. For this reason, I keep looking for clinical or research work so it may benefit me later. I am an immigrant and did not attend high school in the US. I was not raised here and I think this is the main reason I am struggling so much with something that seems to come naturally to most people. I don’t know where to look for opportunities and actually get a job. Btw my school is a horrible place to look. I have tried and just end up really confused every time. I shall be grateful if any of you can help guide me a little. I feel so helpless.)

Members don't see this ad.

Case management in various areas of mental health etc. Also look into substance abuse jobs. For substance abuse jobs, you only need to take some ethics courses etc. Your degree should take the bulk of it.

Reactions: 1 user
Case management in various areas of mental health etc. Also look into substance abuse jobs. For substance abuse jobs, you only need to take some ethics courses etc. Your degree should take the bulk of it.
Oh wow, that sounds like a good idea. Thanks, I’ll definitely look into it.