Mt. Sinai - Don't have a non-science LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TechMan

Dreams Stuff are Made of.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called up Mt. Sinai and they told me that a non-science letter is required, and this can ONLY be from a non-science Faculty member, ie. english teacher, philosophy teacher, etc. A physician letter doesn't count as non-science. The lady did tell me that i could write a letter explaining why i can't get a non-science letter, and that they would still consider my application. my question is, how should i try and spin the letter so that it isn't viewed "that" negatively? I am certain most everyone will reply that it isn't in my best interest, but I can't get a non-science letter that will be worth a crap. so i think i would be better off doing this instead. what do you guys think.

Members don't see this ad.

hey

did you send indiv. letters to them or a college committee letter?

im worried too now! too scared to call and find out

I had the exact same problem- didn't foresee the need for a nonscience LOR, and a bunch of the schools I applied to required it. So I called everybody, no one had a problem with waiving it if I wrote a letter of explanation. When I added Mt Sinai to my AMCAS later on, I just emailed them asking if I could do the same thing, and I got a really weird reply from someone whose first language was obviously not English. This person said the nonscience letter was a requirement, could not be waived, but if I wrote a letter they would maybe waive it, but it would not be looked upon favorably. It was so frustratingly garbled and self-contradictory I decided to hell with them. Didn't want to pay their $100 secondary fee anyway.

-Ex

I sent them individual letters. they require one science and one non-science.