Mt. Sinai - Don't have a non-science LOR?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by TechMan, Oct 22, 2002.

1. TechMan

TechMan Dreams Stuff are Made of.

I called up Mt. Sinai and they told me that a non-science letter is required, and this can ONLY be from a non-science Faculty member, ie. english teacher, philosophy teacher, etc. A physician letter doesn't count as non-science. The lady did tell me that i could write a letter explaining why i can't get a non-science letter, and that they would still consider my application. my question is, how should i try and spin the letter so that it isn't viewed "that" negatively? I am certain most everyone will reply that it isn't in my best interest, but I can't get a non-science letter that will be worth a crap. so i think i would be better off doing this instead. what do you guys think.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BigRedStress

BigRedStress AMEX Black

hey

did you send indiv. letters to them or a college committee letter?

im worried too now! too scared to call and find out

4. Exene

Exene Senior Member

I had the exact same problem- didn't foresee the need for a nonscience LOR, and a bunch of the schools I applied to required it. So I called everybody, no one had a problem with waiving it if I wrote a letter of explanation. When I added Mt Sinai to my AMCAS later on, I just emailed them asking if I could do the same thing, and I got a really weird reply from someone whose first language was obviously not English. This person said the nonscience letter was a requirement, could not be waived, but if I wrote a letter they would maybe waive it, but it would not be looked upon favorably. It was so frustratingly garbled and self-contradictory I decided to hell with them. Didn't want to pay their $100 secondary fee anyway.

-Ex

5. TechMan

TechMan Dreams Stuff are Made of.

I sent them individual letters. they require one science and one non-science.