Mt. Sinai...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alphabeta53

*** Super *********
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I finally got an acceptance today(11/5 interview) which is a great feeling. Finally... But i have two reasons for starting this thread.

1) I told my interviewer at mt. Sinai that this school was not my top choice but I wanted to give it a chance. Instead of being petty like BU(heard from other people) and Gergetown(first hand experience) are about matriculation, the school actually gave me a chance to make up my mind. This is much better than being relegated to groveling in the realm of the waiting list. Mt. Sinai rocks for keeping it real and honest.

2) I want to know more about Mt. Sinai such as research reputation and residency matching. I love New York and I want to know how this school compares to Columbia or Cornell. All advice is greatly appreicted especially if it doesn't mirror what US news says.

Thanks and now I am going to get my drink on...

Members don't see this ad.

sinai's match list is quite impressive, i am not sure how compared to cornell or columbia, but it is at all the top hospitals.

It is in a better area of NY, much less isolated than Columbia.

congrats, i am still hoping for an interview!

how big were the envelopes? were they standard 11x4 in, or bulkier?

Members don't see this ad :)
Alphabeta,
Congrats on your acceptance to Sinai! I'm sure it was well-deserved and the other New York schools will follow the lead. I was wondering if you had the chance to stay with a host during your Sinai interview and what your interview experience was like in general. All I know about Sinai is that it is a relaxed place for those who normally do well but don't like busy work. A friend there has also told me the school does a good job of treating you as a colleague, rather than as a lowly medical student -- though, I find this hard to believe since Mt. Sinai is an upscale hospital like Northwestern Memorial and the Mayo Clinic.

P. Parker

I have read a number of posts recently about people receiving notifications in the last few days that they have been accepted at Sinai.

I was wondering if anyone has received a notice of a rejection or wait list via mail as well.

I interviewed back on September 26 and have not received any correspondence from Sinai since then. I live in NYC so it wouldn't make sense to me that the mail is slow in getting to me if others have already received acceptances and my letter only has to travel a few blocks rather than across states or farther.

Just wondering if I should lower my expectations and assume all the acceptances already went out and only wait list and rejection letters are to come.

not sure if I am looking for reassurance or what, but this whole process is very nervewracking.

Any feedback that could be provided would be very much appreciated. Until then, I will continue to check my mailbox compulsively.

Eurotrash

Just got my acceptance to sinai. Small envelope. Weird because I called the admissions office today and they said they hadn't sent any decisions out yet.

Peter Parker

Sinai was pretty laid back when I went there. Didn't stay with a student host (I live in NYC), but they all seem pretty chilled out--I think it's the two full years of pass/fail that does it to em. As far as it being an upscale hospital, that's not totally true. It borders a lower income area as well as the Upper East Side so they treat a bunch of different patients. Don't know if they treat you like a colleague or not, though.

I don;t know much about Sinai nor stayed with a host. All info forthcoming would be great...

just wondering how you were notified of an interview...and how much longer after your app was complete??? do they favor ny residents b/c it seems that most are from ny...i thought b/c they are private they wouldnt'.

I got the thin envelope in the mail today (well, my parents did)...of course being parents they opened it up but it had a nice happy acceptance in it.

I share your "get my drink on" deal.

Anyway, my interviewer there was over an hour late for the half hour interview and he wasn't particularly nice to say the least. I could have swore the guy really disliked me, and he kept rolling his eyes at my replies. The second interviewer was great and we had a great conversation, but I figured it already was a lost cause.

So take it as this, even if you have a crappy interview, things work out well (so far).

For the record, I interviewed there in mid september (I was on the 2nd day of interviews) so they took over 2 months to decide.

Good luck everyone, time for some good ole' Finger Lakes wine!

I work at Mt. Sinai and all of the students I know are happy here. Probably has a lot to do with the pass/fail system, but also because the admin really listens to them. Not so true for Columbia, where I'm a grad student. They really make med students aware of their bottom of the totem pole status.

Congrats on the acceptance.:clap:

Originally posted by klp14
I work at Mt. Sinai and all of the students I know are happy here. Probably has a lot to do with the pass/fail system, but also because the admin really listens to them. Not so true for Columbia, where I'm a grad student. They really make med students aware of their bottom of the totem pole status.

Congrats on the acceptance.:clap:

I would have to disagree. Medical schools students are LOVED at Columbia and treated very well. The faculty actually listen to their opinion and alter class accordingly. I have no idea how Columbia compares to other schools but I do know that Columbia is AWESOME.

I got an interview at Mount Sinai and I"m from Florida, my interview is in january.

They have a great website so you can get alot of info from the website.

It looks like a badass school from the website. and it has a great reputation.

I am repeating my question because no one answered it last time.

1) Has anyone received notification of waitlist or rejection status?
2) Has everyone who interviewed back in September received a decision letter (of any kind) from Sinai?

I am wondering if I should call because my mailbox remains empty.

If you were accepted to Mt. sinai - first of all congratualtions!! - and also, when did you interview?
thanks...

Originally posted by nygirl6464
just wondering how you were notified of an interview...and how much longer after your app was complete??? do they favor ny residents b/c it seems that most are from ny...i thought b/c they are private they wouldnt'.

I was complete is early Octover, and I was invited for an interview two weeks ago, and it's in mid-December. They sent me an e-mail invite.

Also I live nowhere near New York State.

Sorry to keep harping on this topic, but it clearly bothering me.

I decided to call Sinai today and they told me that no decision had been mailed out yet for me.

Are they lying because this sounds just like what they told the dude03? Clearly people have received acceptance letters already. Does this mean I have been waitlisted/rejected because I didn't yet receive an acceptance when the rest were mailed out?

I interviewed in late September and am getting antsy with no other acceptances or even notifications yet post-interview at any schools. I hate not knowing.

Has anyone received notification of waitlist or rejection status post-interview at Sinai? Or do they just not tell you if you aren't accepted?!

Thanks.

what are people's take on NYU vs. MSSM?
which has got the better rep?
the vaunted USNews has MSSM at 22 and NYU at 26 (although there are a bunch of folks tied for 22 - and nothing in between 22 and 26) overall MSSM has a score of 69 vs. NYU's score of 66; their residency director scores are 3.6 and 3.5 for MSSM and NYU respectively (out of a 5.0). Both schools have similar MCAT and GPA averages - with NYU's numbers being ever so slightly better.
So basically the USNews has tied these two, and tells me nothing about them :p
what are people's thoughts? has anyone seen a match list for both schools - I know a previous poster has seen MSSM's, but how does that compare to NYU's.
Also given their respective hospitals, I would figure that the clinical training at NYU would be better than MSSM's because MSSM attracts a much wealthier patient population who wouldnt want med students poking around on them - plus NYU probably sees a much wider spectrum of things come through their door.
That being said, I remember meeting some NYU students during their 3rd year... they hated it. And I worked their for a summer in highschool, their facilities seemed a little dated. Comments?

Originally posted by DarkChild
what are people's take on NYU vs. MSSM?
which has got the better rep?
the vaunted USNews has MSSM at 22 and NYU at 26 (although there are a bunch of folks tied for 22 - and nothing in between 22 and 26) overall MSSM has a score of 69 vs. NYU's score of 66; their residency director scores are 3.6 and 3.5 for MSSM and NYU respectively (out of a 5.0). Both schools have similar MCAT and GPA averages - with NYU's numbers being ever so slightly better.
So basically the USNews has tied these two, and tells me nothing about them :p
what are people's thoughts? has anyone seen a match list for both schools - I know a previous poster has seen MSSM's, but how does that compare to NYU's.
Also given their respective hospitals, I would figure that the clinical training at NYU would be better than MSSM's because MSSM attracts a much wealthier patient population who wouldnt want med students poking around on them - plus NYU probably sees a much wider spectrum of things come through their door.
That being said, I remember meeting some NYU students during their 3rd year... they hated it. And I worked their for a summer in highschool, their facilities seemed a little dated. Comments?

About the patient population you are a bit wrong. Mt. Sinai is on the fringe of East Harlem and therefore serves many minorities as well as rich folks from The Carnegie Hill section of the Upper East Side. I really don't know which is better...I'd say they are pretty equal. As a matter of fact NYU and MSMC merged into Mount Sinai NYU Health in 1999 if you recall. The merger really is only on paper though and there is much tension relating to this.