MUA School info?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future_doctor_2019

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Couldn't find anything recent on the medical university of the americas so making one now. I have an interview coming up over the phone. I'm still waiting on Ross and SGU and AUC btw. Basically my story is first year low GPA (that I worked up to get better but not amazing) and lower end MCAT (~500) I didn't get past the few DO interviews last cycle and . just want to start soon.

Please no bashing Caribbean schools! I just want to hear from recent graduates like 2018-2020 or current students their opinion on the school's curriculum, island, and step exam plus residency placements. I know people at AUA, SGU, and Ross, and AUC but they are all current students and the doctors I have met from SGU and MUA graduated pre-2015.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey,
I hope your interview went well. I had an interview this week and I'm going to their open house today. I've contacted some current students and they seem very helpful and have had positive things to say. If I were you, I would contact students via facebook and Instagram to hear their opinions. Right now, I'm deciding between MUA, Saba, and St. Matthew's. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey,
I hope your interview went well. I had an interview this week and I'm going to their open house today. I've contacted some current students and they seem very helpful and have had positive things to say. If I were you, I would contact students via facebook and Instagram to hear their opinions. Right now, I'm deciding between MUA, Saba, and St. Matthew's. Good luck!
hey where/when is the open house?
my interview went well. super nice and kind of informal like getting to know me. i hope i get in since its same day acceptance i have yet to hear back. I reached out to 3 people, 2 are graduates and 1 current student but they have yet to respond to my questions.
I have an interview coming up with St Matthews (any advice?) I'm kind of concerned that St Matthews isnt accredited in all 50 states but lets see.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey where/when is the open house?
my interview went well. super nice and kind of informal like getting to know me. i hope i get in since its same day acceptance i have yet to hear back. I reached out to 3 people, 2 are graduates and 1 current student but they have yet to respond to my questions.
I have an interview coming up with St Matthews (any advice?) I'm kind of concerned that St Matthews isnt accredited in all 50 states but lets see.
Hey,
The open house was in Tampa this week. They have another in Miami on the 15th. I have my interview with St Matthew's and Saba tomorrow. Good luck with your interview! That was my concern for St. Matthew's as well. My interview with MUA was also pretty relaxed. They give you 3 days to pay for a seat deposit if you're planning on going into the January 2022 term so the delay is a good thing.

Hey,
The open house was in Tampa this week. They have another in Miami on the 15th. I have my interview with St Matthew's and Saba tomorrow. Good luck with your interview! That was my concern for St. Matthew's as well. My interview with MUA was also pretty relaxed. They give you 3 days to pay for a seat deposit if you're planning on going into the January 2022 term so the delay is a good thing.
hey I got into MUA! I think i'm going to sign the letter soon because they gave me until Monday and not sure when/if my other school interviews will be scheduled.
Personally from what MUA vs St Matthew's students i'm feeling MUA will help me prepare for a successful career back in the states. Maybe i'll see you there if i don't hear back from any other school.

Good luck!

hey I got into MUA! I think i'm going to sign the letter soon because they gave me until Monday and not sure when/if my other school interviews will be scheduled.
Personally from what MUA vs St Matthew's students i'm feeling MUA will help me prepare for a successful career back in the states. Maybe i'll see you there if i don't hear back from any other school.

Good luck!
Hey,
I also got into MUA and signed the letter of intent. I may start the semester online due to a lack of funding, time to do the required background check, and passport renewal. Some students are saying that it takes 2 months before they get their disbursement. I don't want you to lose your seat, but I've heard great things about AUC.

Hey,
I also got into MUA and signed the letter of intent. I may start the semester online due to a lack of funding, time to do the required background check, and passport renewal. Some students are saying that it takes 2 months before they get their disbursement. I don't want you to lose your seat, but I've heard great things about AUC.
i think during the interview she mentioned they don't recommend the whole semester online. I still need to get started on most things so lets see.
Did you interview at AUC yet? I have a Ross interview coming up but still yet to hear from AUC and SGU

i think during the interview she mentioned they don't recommend the whole semester online. I still need to get started on most things so lets see.
Did you interview at AUC yet? I have a Ross interview coming up but still yet to hear from AUC and SGU
I didn't interview at those schools. I just heard good things from current and former students.

Please check these school's accreditation before you make your decision. A lot of these schools aren't accredited so their students won't be qualifity to sit for the step or apply for residency in the U.S.

Please check these school's accreditation before you make your decision. A lot of these schools aren't accredited so their students won't be qualifity to sit for the step or apply for residency in the U.S.
can you give me more info on what you mean by qualify to sit for step? And I believe MUA, ROSS, and SGU are accredited in all 50 states?

can you give me more info on what you mean by qualify to sit for step? And I believe MUA, ROSS, and SGU are accredited in all 50 states?
Accreditation - 2024 Accreditation Requirement

And also Accredited Medical Schools - ACCM

Also some info here GMDC Response to Upcoming ECFMG Requirement for International Medical Graduates | Grenada Medical and Dental Council

Assuming you will be class of 2025 so therefore you really need to be sure your school will be accredited by 2024 or you won't be able to sit for the USMLE/enter residency. A few Caribbean schools are still in the Process of getting re-accredited so it's quite a gamble. And if you check the second link I post of all the schools.....you see some only accredited till 2023 / on probation , and quite a few got out right denied and rejected. Be very careful with your choice of school!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Also some info here GMDC Response to Upcoming ECFMG Requirement for International Medical Graduates | Grenada Medical and Dental Council

Assuming you will be class of 2025 so therefore you really need to be sure your school will be accredited by 2024 or you won't be able to sit for the USMLE/enter residency. A few Caribbean schools are still in the Process of getting re-accredited so it's quite a gamble. And if you check the second link I post of all the schools.....you see some only accredited till 2023 / on probation , and quite a few got out right denied and rejected. Be very careful with your choice of school!!!!!!
Thank you! For Medical University of the Americas - Nevis: Accrediting body for Nevis since 2007. Accredited since 2010. Accredited for six years to May 31, 2022 This would mean they would have to get reaccredited from 2023 onwards if I understand this properly?

Accredited Medical Schools - ACCM I looked on this site for Ross/SGU and saw SGU was withdrawn and Ross is pending. Do you know when this is updated? I personally feel like SGU was kind of sketch but for these schools being top 4 would they not easily get re-accredited?

This is important information I had not known to think about prior to applying so I thank you for this!

Last edited:
Based on the ECFMG quote "
Institutions in Process of Accreditation or Recognition

• In 2024, individuals may not be eligible to apply for ECFMG Certification if their medical school is still in the process of obtaining accreditation by a WFME-recognized accrediting agency.
  • Similarly, individuals may not be eligible to apply for ECFMG Certification in 2024 if their medical school is accredited by an accrediting agency still in the process of obtaining recognition by WFME. Note that once the accrediting agency becomes WFME-recognized, schools do not need to be reaccredited unless they are due for reaccreditation.
Loss of Accreditation Status

• Individuals who successfully apply in 2024 or later may not be eligible to complete the required examinations and obtain ECFMG Certification if, after they apply but before they achieve certification, their medical school loses accreditation or they transfer to a non-accredited school.
  • Individuals who have already achieved ECFMG Certification, however, will not be impacted if their medical school subsequently loses accreditation"

So tbh , if your school is not FULLY accredited by and through 2024......you run a possibility of wasting $$ on a unusable degree by some of these school. Don't let them tell you that they will get accredited, it has to be confirm and assures because even if they are pending accreditation , you will still be screw base on ECFMG new standards. In the second link I posted of the caam-hp , you can click on the school, download the PDF , which will tell you that a lot of the schools have problems and been put on notice by the accrediting agency.

Based on the ECFMG quote "
Institutions in Process of Accreditation or Recognition

• In 2024, individuals may not be eligible to apply for ECFMG Certification if their medical school is still in the process of obtaining accreditation by a WFME-recognized accrediting agency.
  • Similarly, individuals may not be eligible to apply for ECFMG Certification in 2024 if their medical school is accredited by an accrediting agency still in the process of obtaining recognition by WFME. Note that once the accrediting agency becomes WFME-recognized, schools do not need to be reaccredited unless they are due for reaccreditation.
Loss of Accreditation Status

• Individuals who successfully apply in 2024 or later may not be eligible to complete the required examinations and obtain ECFMG Certification if, after they apply but before they achieve certification, their medical school loses accreditation or they transfer to a non-accredited school.
  • Individuals who have already achieved ECFMG Certification, however, will not be impacted if their medical school subsequently loses accreditation"

So tbh , if your school is not FULLY accredited by and through 2024......you run a possibility of wasting $$ on a unusable degree by some of these school. Don't let them tell you that they will get accredited, it has to be confirm and assures because even if they are pending accreditation , you will still be screw base on ECFMG new standards. In the second link I posted of the caam-hp , you can click on the school, download the PDF , which will tell you that a lot of the schools have problems and been put on notice by the accrediting agency.

THANK YOU!
I appreciate your time in explaining this to me. SGU is clearly out of the running even tho some current alumni and students refuse to accept it. Its clear something is up.

A little late to the party, but I graduated from this school and successfully completed residency. If you guys have any questions, my information may not be the most current, but I'd be willing to help, you can PM me or ask here.

Are you based in Ireland? Because that’s where ACCM is based. For the US it’s ECFMG accreditation that matters. I have a friend that just started at SGU and they are still top ranking for Caribbean school.

I think you may be a little confused about accreditation, which is understandable as it is a complex topic.

The ECFMG itself does not "accredit" any school. Instead it requires that for IMGs to write Step exams and get Certified after 2024 they must graduate from a school accredited by an organization that ECFMG "recognizes." At present ECFMG "recognizes" schools who's accreditation is in turn "recognized" by WFME or NCFMEA Recognized Accreditation Policy.

Individual Caribbean schools are "accredited" by umbrella accrediting organizations organizations like ACCM (AUC) and CAAM-HP (Ross), as well as national accrediting bodies such as the Grenada Medical and Dental Council which recently accredited SGU.

If I'm misunderstanding this myself, I trust others will correct me.

I think you may be a little confused about accreditation, which is understandable as it is a complex topic.

The ECFMG itself does not "accredit" any school. Instead it requires that for IMGs to write Step exams and get Certified after 2024 they must graduate from a school accredited by an organization that ECFMG "recognizes." At present ECFMG "recognizes" schools who's accreditation is in turn "recognized" by WFME or NCFMEA Recognized Accreditation Policy.

Individual Caribbean schools are "accredited" by umbrella accrediting organizations organizations like ACCM (AUC) and CAAM-HP (Ross), as well as national accrediting bodies such as the Grenada Medical and Dental Council which recently accredited SGU.

If I'm misunderstanding this myself, I trust others will correct me.
You're correct. ACCM is based in Ireland but partners with various country governments to provide accreditation for their schools (mostly Carib). ACCM is recognized by ECFMG so they are eligible to sit for USMLE and apply for US residencies. Idk what they're talking about as for the US it'd technically be ACGME recognition for their students and ECFMG for foreign students.

So this is an interesting question. Is there a top ranked Caribbean school?

As far as I know there are no independent objective rankings of Caribbean schools.

Back in 2013 AUC student Benji Ho put together a tiered ranking of Caribbean schools Caribbean Medical School Rankings « Diary of a Caribbean Med Student. It seems logical and widely quoted.

He lists 6 schools in the top tier in no particular order: AUC, SGU, Ross, Saba, AUA and MUA.

AUC, Ross, and SGU have widely been referred to as the "big three." SGU certainly graduates the most physicians. All of the "big three" report similar Step 1 pass rates and Match rates.

So is there any consensus about a top rated Caribbean school, or is it about fit and personal choice?

So is there any consensus about a top rated Caribbean school, or is it about fit and personal choice?
I have seen no evidence that fit is important in Caribbean schools' evaluation of applicants.
It is possible that "fit" is important to the applicant. Their ability to evaluate this ephemeral quality is clouded by the lack of verifiable data or information from the schools, however.

Last edited: