mayn

5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thank you for the info. So out of those 100 people that started Med1, how many made it to med5 and applied for residency?
People drop out from one med to the previous med if they fail a class so hard to say, but probably out of the roughly 100 we started with probably 60-70 of us made it to med 5 to take the comp. After the comp you start clinicals for two years and you lose track of people so hard to say how many eventually applied for residency.
Ballpark would be probably 40 from my initial class of 100 in Jan 2011 who graduated and matched with me in 2015. Don't know how many matched in the subsequent year. Of the people who dropped from my class to a previous class, I am sure some eventually matched, hard to say how many.

ThoracicGuy

5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2013
Status
Attending Physician
Well, I do not have all of my science prerequisites done, that is why I did not get in into those top-tier programs you mentioned above. MUA has a Gateway program that is only one term long. After that, it’s MD1 for me.
You are exactly the sort of student many of these schools prey on. Maybe you'll beat the odds and finish AND get a residency program. Maybe. Or maybe you'll hold off, do the work that is needed to apply for a US MD/DO school, apply and get in, and then have a much much better chance of success. The schools aren't going anywhere.

Good luck.

Seihai

The dog is always the real hero.
2+ Year Member
May 24, 2017
You are exactly the sort of student many of these schools prey on. Maybe you'll beat the odds and finish AND get a residency program. Maybe. Or maybe you'll hold off, do the work that is needed to apply for a US MD/DO school, apply and get in, and then have a much much better chance of success. The schools aren't going anywhere.

Good luck.
It's already too late to try to convince OP of anything. They seem pretty set on trying to beat the odds and already committed to a Caribbean program.

OP
P
Jun 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes I have decided to go to MUA. There’s enough evidence to show that if I am to try hard and be an above average student, I should not have any problems matching into residency.

• Haha
Reactions: DrStephenStrange
May 5, 2019
Status
Non-Student
I love Nicolas Cage! :)

Yes I have decided to go to MUA. There’s enough evidence to show that if I am to try hard and be an above average student, I should not have any problems matching into residency.
this is going to be a gamble for you brother! Sorry, but you have not taken the MCAT or even handled anything close to med school curriculum yet. How do you know that you would be a top student there? (At least take the MCAT and see if you can get a score above 500). I do not know if you have even been to the island to check out the school and talked to the current students there yet. Sorry bro, I do not see any evidence. GL!!!

OP
P
Jun 24, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
I love Nicolas Cage! :)

this is going to be a gamble for you brother! Sorry, but you have not taken the MCAT or even handled anything close to med school curriculum yet. How do you know that you would be a top student there? (At least take the MCAT and see if you can get a score above 500). I do not know if you have even been to the island to check out the school and talked to the current students there yet. Sorry bro, I do not see any evidence. GL!!!
I understand your concern, I really do. However, I did my research and I have spoken with the current students that are at that school so I know exactly what to expect. As far as MCAT goes, I am taking mine end of August to see how I do on it, before I start my schooling. And as far as medical experience in previous curricula in the medical field, I have quite a bit actually. I’ve been a respiratory therapist for the last five years and before that I was a paramedic so I had some pre-med curriculum which will help me along the way.

Reactions: olabrador23
Mar 16, 2019
Mental strength is very important. Avoid the pitfalls by seeing them in advance and study smart. Good luck with everything.

Mar 16, 2019
I’ve been a respiratory therapist for the last five years and before that I was a paramedic so I had some pre-med curriculum which will help me along the way.
This should help you a lot. Respiratory physiology/pathology are a big part of the curriculum. The EMTs I've come across in med school have had a really good understanding of cardio. You can build on this.

Reactions: PaulRRT
May 5, 2019
Status
Non-Student
I understand your concern, I really do. However, I did my research and I have spoken with the current students that are at that school so I know exactly what to expect. As far as MCAT goes, I am taking mine end of August to see how I do on it, before I start my schooling. And as far as medical experience in previous curricula in the medical field, I have quite a bit actually. I’ve been a respiratory therapist for the last five years and before that I was a paramedic so I had some pre-med curriculum which will help me along the way.
that is great. I think that might be very helpful. Keep updating us how you are doing. (You might help me and others too by doing that!). GL bro!!!

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician

bedevilled ben

The Jung and the Restless
5+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Well, a lot of what's been said about MUA above is true. My class started off with ~100 people in med 1 and probably ~30-40 of us eventually matched. The odds aren't pretty.

If you're headed down there, you've got to go with a particular mindset; mainly that you're there to test how much you can really accomplish if you really push yourself mentally. If you feel you were the kind of student who could study a couple days before the exam and get a C or D, this is going the time to study every day, all semester long, and get the highest score possible.

If you keep the same mentality as before, you will not match. No room anymore for Cs and Ds (probably not even Bs). Its blunt and simple, but true.
I don't often "like" posts on SDN, but this is an appreciated and even-handed assessment of a program that historically has not had good representation on these fora. I'm curious though if you could expand on what "very doable" means to you, and also what circumstances led to you going to the Caribbean. You sound like a competitive and aggressive student, and I would say your Step scores are well above average for Step 1 and 2 USMD students even. I'm a 2016 grad from SGU and to be frank I pretty strongly dissuade most prospective students from applying for Caribbean schools given how predatory and manipulative most of their business practices have become in the last 5 years. I agree with you that it can be a path to success for some (I like to think I'm one of them, as I am very happy with my residency and career prospects.) But I wonder that you are not a prototypical applicant for Caribbean schools, which often include people looking for a "short cut" to physician-hood. I'm very interested in your thoughts having nearly completed your training in a very competitive specialty as a MUA grad.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Hey guys, I got excepted into two Caribbean medical schools. Medical University of the Americas (Nevis island) and Saint James School of Medicine (Antigua). At MUA, I got excepted into premed gateway medical program which is one term long as I’m lacking some science courses. Taking my MCAT end if August.
SJSM is excepting me straight into their MD program.
MUA is more reputable and has title IV US gov loans (175k)
SJSM is all private loans (80k) and low reputation
MUA is good for all 50 states while SJMS is lacking about 10 states.
Both schools claim about 88% success rate of residency matching.
99% success rate step 1 test pass guarantee.
Which school should I go for?
Your choices are these:

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Ahhh, magic thinking in action.

DrStephenStrange

OMS-II C/O 2022
Bronze Donor
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere I like
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys, I got excepted into two Caribbean medical schools. Medical University of the Americas (Nevis island) and Saint James School of Medicine (Antigua). At MUA, I got excepted into premed gateway medical program which is one term long as I’m lacking some science courses. Taking my MCAT end if August.
SJSM is excepting me straight into their MD program.
MUA is more reputable and has title IV US gov loans (175k)
SJSM is all private loans (80k) and low reputation
MUA is good for all 50 states while SJMS is lacking about 10 states.
Both schools claim about 88% success rate of residency matching.
99% success rate step 1 test pass guarantee.
Which school should I go for?
accepted***

Last edited:

ThoracicGuy

5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2013
Status
Attending Physician
Are you just trolling us? You can't really believe this, right?

• Haha
Reactions: Goro

DrStephenStrange

OMS-II C/O 2022
Bronze Donor
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere I like
Status
Medical Student
MD vs DO degree
“In 2020, the 3,109 residency positions offered in 2017 by AOA-approved programs will become available to graduates of MD programs as a result of the merger between the ACGME and the AOA. No longer will these spots be exclusively available to DOs without competition from MDs.”
This is a direct quote from their website, any comments on this as far as getting more residency positions goes?
Well, for one DO's match rate still went up a little bit even with increasing number of new grads and the fact that most AOA residencies have already transitioned into ACGME.

Last edited:

DrStephenStrange

OMS-II C/O 2022
Bronze Donor
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere I like
Status
Medical Student
These 3 posts are ridiculous:rofl::wtf:
I appreciate your information, I will actually be going to MUA. Hopefully they are better than that as they are higher tier school.
HIGHER TIER LOL

Well, I do not have all of my science prerequisites done, that is why I did not get in into those top-tier programs you mentioned above. MUA has a Gateway program that is only one term long. After that, it’s MD1 for me.
Talking about top-tier when talking about Caribbean schools shows how out of touch you are with anything happening on these islands or in the Medical field for that matter.

Can you please show us the evidence? I'd really like to see any semblance of it.
Dude, I'm from the Caribbean, so let me tell you that you're in for a bumpy ride. Good luck because you will need it. I really hope to see you make it through, so please update us on your situation every now and then. Good or Bad. Just remember that we warned you if everything goes wrong.

Reactions: Goro

mayn

5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't often "like" posts on SDN, but this is an appreciated and even-handed assessment of a program that historically has not had good representation on these fora. I'm curious though if you could expand on what "very doable" means to you, and also what circumstances led to you going to the Caribbean. You sound like a competitive and aggressive student, and I would say your Step scores are well above average for Step 1 and 2 USMD students even. I'm a 2016 grad from SGU and to be frank I pretty strongly dissuade most prospective students from applying for Caribbean schools given how predatory and manipulative most of their business practices have become in the last 5 years. I agree with you that it can be a path to success for some (I like to think I'm one of them, as I am very happy with my residency and career prospects.) But I wonder that you are not a prototypical applicant for Caribbean schools, which often include people looking for a "short cut" to physician-hood. I'm very interested in your thoughts having nearly completed your training in a very competitive specialty as a MUA grad.
I was a probably the lousiest student around in high school and as a undergraduate, mainly due to profound laziness and was into everything but studying (making music, partying etc). When I mentioned getting C's and D's with studying the night before the exam, I was talking from self experience. I always figured if I could get a C on a final from just studying 8-12 hours, I could probably get an A if I studied most days of the semester. After scraping through undergrad, I studied at home for over a month or so and got a 28 on the MCAT (don't know how this correlates with the newer score, but I think its close to average), which though gratifiing, still got me turned down from a bunch of caribbean schools including AUA, SGU, Ross because of my abysmal GPA. And again, these are schools which, like has been mentioned, prey on weaker students, and even they felt there was no way I could pass board exams and match. The guy from AUA actually asked if I was serious considering going to med school on my phone interview lol. So after getting through all that, and mentally done with being a failure as a student and finally getting to the island on MUA, I was boiling with motivation.

'Doable' to me means, if you honestly are willing to put 6-8 hours of studying AFTER class every single day, then its doable. I think most people would agree that medicine is not purely about smarts or intelligence, its about basic concepts and repetition (and clinical intuition, which develops later). Once you understand the concept and repeat the details over and over and over and over again.. at some point in those 8 hours of study after lecture every day, it'll stick. That, to me, was doable. To the people in my class who either dropped out or failed out, it wasn't.

I still dissuade people from going the Caribbean route, 100%. I have family and friends asking about the Caribbean route and I've turned almost everyone away from going down this road. Definitely not trying to paint a rosy picture. However if someone is already there, or in the case of OP, pretty settled on heading down there, I am available for advice, insight or any help that I can provide.