Multiple Aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAN627

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in two different programs, both suggested by two different physicians whom I am close to. I read on one of the websites that it is discouraged to do more than 1 away rotation because it looks like the individual is trying to "increase" his or her chance of matching. Is that true? If I do away rotation at two different programs, different states, will that reflect poorly on me?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that is one of those rumors that just gets passed around baselessly. There may be some programs that look down upon this, but I have yet to meet one. Of the 6 programs with which I've had a tight or loose affiliation in my career none of them could give a rat's arse how many subI's a student did. Having said that, I may have been at the only 6 programs that ever felt that way, but I doubt it.

From what I've been told by attendings, more than one away shows that you have a desire to compare/contrast different programs. Some people have reported being asked at interview to list the plusses and minuses at the different programs they rotated at. So, if you do multiple aways, it's not a bad thing, but you should be able to speak intelligently and diplomatically on what you liked/disliked about the places you visited.

To be honest, from my experience applying last year and talking to others, if you come from a school with an ENT program and have good relationship with all the faculties, just get letters within the department and save the time and money for away rotations. It's just really hard to get enough exposure from the faculties to really impress them. 9/10 times aways make little difference in your application.

If you have no ENT department, you better hussle harder than the other 5 subIs who are likely great husslers themselves to earn your LORs.