ENT Away Rotation Suggestion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pr1d3D0c

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening,
I am a third year ENT hopeful trying to arrange my away rotations in advance so that I maximize my chances for matching while also paying due consideration to my regional interests.

A bit about me:
mid-tier MD school
M1/M2 not graded
USMLE Step 1: 247
Medicine: Honors
Surgery: High Pass (Honors in clinical component)
Research:
(1) basic science pub (before school)- second author
(2) three presentations in basic science before school
(3) one grand rounds presentation in research in neurotology
(4) one first author cancer journal publication on H&N
(5) one first author publication on H&N outcomes
(6) 6 separate, though related, presentations (not presenter but on the poster) in H&N
(7) one case report pub (fourth author)
(8) one summer fellowship at a medical center in neurotology research (basic science)

Personal: LGBT (Gay) if it matters, currently in Northeast but hoping to go south or southwest for residency (SO is currently in this region). I know my department pretty well, work with them on research and meet with them monthly to discuss my progression through medical school and application.

THE DILEMMA:
So I am planning on rotating at the medical center where I completed my summer fellowship in neurotology to become reacquainted with the department and bolster my application there. However, I am looking for other suggestions for places to do my always. I am aware that my application is no powerhouse so I would like to away rotate at sites that I could conceivably match at.
Geographically, I’d like to be in the Texas/Houston area or southwest (Arizona/New Mexico) but wouldn’t be opposed to anywhere in the south...including LA (which I know would be impossible)...any suggestions for how to structure my upcoming aways?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you may be selling yourself a little short- you sound like a solid competitive applicant and will likely get plenty of interviews.

There's no reason to overthink this- pick 1 or 2 programs where you would ideally like to be and go do aways there. Work your tail off and be likeable If you're getting honors on clinical rotations, you are presumably doing this already.

Gotta agree, I think your storefront is pretty attractive. Pick some aways. It would be nice to do one or two in the areas you're looking at, simply because you can spend a little time there (if you haven't already) to make sure you don't hate it. Try to rotate in AZ in July. If you can handle that, you're golden. Truth is you have more of a chance not matching where you rotate just based on statistics. Your goal is to be a good, on-the-spot rotating student, and to come off as a good person. That's really all you can do at this point to buff your credentials.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to revive this thread for a couple of reasons. I am beginning to worry about the strength of my app following the cancellation of aways and my final trimester of clinical grades. I Honored Psych and HP on Neuro. Thus, my profile is now:

School is mid-tier in NE
Step 1: 245-250
Step 2: TBD on 10/30
Clinicals: Honors in Medicine and Psych; HP in OB/Surg/Peds/Neuro
Research: So far 3 pubs (2 ENT related, one of which first author); 1 manuscript in editing; 12 presentations

My ENT SubI received excellent feedback from home department, who is supporting my application and mentioned their intention for helping me match in whichever region I am interested (West or South, ideally). I have not received the official mark, but likely to be Honors.

Considering that I only have two honors and have nothing that makes me stand out in any one domain, I was banking on my away rotations to save me. I am participating in a virtual research block with a program in the West, but otherwise I fear that my lack of aways will doom me for this cycle.

Any feedback at this point?

Nothing that you don't already know.

Take advantage of the opportunities you have now. Don't worry about what you can't control. Your chances of matching are pretty good, not guaranteed. There are no guarantees in life.

Good luck!