multiple births + fertility drugs.

Started by njac
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

njac

Senior Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/06/12/sextuplet.boom.ap/index.html

so of course we've all heard of the morning-after pill debacle. I've been saying all along, since before I got into pharmacy school, that if when I'm practicing there are still pharmacists refusing to dispense EC then I'll refuse to dispense ED drugs. You say abortion is playing god, I say taking pills to get an erection when god told you not to have sex anymore is playing god.

I think the bigger issue is fertility drugs. How many of these 10 babies (2 of the MN set already died) are going to live completely "normal" lives? And have you noticed that the majority of these couples attributes their "miracles" (ha.) to God? '"Each one of them is a miracle given to us by God."' Um, no. Modern science brought you these "miracles" and it would be better to name them after prolific scientists than those bizarre names.

While I joke about not dispensing ED drugs (hey if the wife comes in to pick them up I'm all for it) I honestly think I would have to think twice about fertility drugs. In the end, I'd probably dispense. I mean if anyone tried to prevent me from buying birth control I'd be picketing out front and spread their name all over every pro-choice site on the internet.

I'm curious to hear others' views on this one.
 
Most of the people taking them aren't trying for Octuplets. My Sister in law has been taking them on/off for years. They've managed one healthy boy and several miscarriages. Another sister in law delivered triplets. One was born with 2 thumbs on one hand, another had to have a shunt inserted. They are glad to have children at all, and it was worth the risk to them to take the fertility meds. In the grand scheme of things, it's turned out pretty well for the both of them.
 
You say abortion is playing god, I say taking pills to get an erection when god told you not to have sex anymore is playing god.

Eh, the issue isn't so much playing god as it is intentionally killing a fetus. Whatever your take on that, lots of people see it as a worse thing than giving some guy an erection.

I'll say this, though, and probably get flamed for it: I do think fertility drugs and IVF are immoral; I think people who want kids should be adopting the many already in existance. I might discuss adoption with a patient on fertility drugs or an ED drug, but I wouldn't outright refuse to dispense them; I would refuse to dispense Mifeprex to a pregnant woman. There are worse things people can be doing than creating another mouth to feed.
 
Dispense or do not dispense whatever you want to dispense or not dispense. Autonomy is a two way street and there is more than one pharmacy around. I think it's ridiculous to say that people are expected to dispense anything that runs contrary to their beliefs. Now if the business they work for has a different opinion, of course their personal opinion is void and they should follow their rules. If CVS says dispense birth control or fertility meds...well..you should probably do it. It's their inventory and you are their little corporate pawn that they likely don't care about.

Personally, I'd dispense just about anything for just about any purpose. I don't particularly give a flying **** about a dead embryo, an old man's erection, or a woman who will be spitting out 6 babies the world probably doesn't need 9 months into the future. I just point the way to whatever the hell it is you want as long as you have a script from a physician with a legit medical purpose. I'd dispense KCL IV to Jack Kevorkian and not particularly care. However - I'm not going to say that other's right to refuse to do something they think is wrong should be ignored. That includes birth control, ED meds, and fertility drugs.

It's easy to outlaw the morality of other people and go along with it as long as it isn't YOUR measure of morality in question.

That's basically how the Holocaust started.