Multitasking: Exercising while listening to lecture?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemonade90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to run while listening to audio of lectures and retain the information? Has anyone tried this strategy?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on the person and the type of lecture. I tend to study at the gym (running on treadmill or elliptical) when possible but if it's a very dense technical lecture with lots of involved diagrams and memorization then it's definitely going to take review later. However, for lighter topics such as ethics, health care basics, etc then it's definitely a good way to use your time. Can't hurt.

Lots of people do it. Lots of people read notes on stationary bikes too. Depends on you. Audio lectures don't work at all for me, because I space out within 30 seconds. Reading on stationary bikes works for a first pass through for me...

Members don't see this ad :)
That seems like a good idea...to study as a first pass through the material while exercising to get a basic grasp of the material and then reviewing in detail later. I have not done anything of this sort before but it seems your retention capabilities would diminish the more tired you become. Perhaps a more optimal strategy would entail a slow and steady exercise which can be more conducive to studying.

I would be interested to hear in other strategies people have to integrate studying and exercising as I am seriously considering this for med school starting this fall.

I put our lectures on my Ipod and listened to them all the time when at the gym or running. Not as the first time I was hearing them of course, but after I had already viewed them and studied/taken notes. Even if it only reinforces a fact or two for you, that's one or two more things you'll remember better than you would have otherwise. My philosophy was that it certainly can't hurt, and it can only help (which I feel it did quite a bit).

I think it depends on the person and the type of lecture. I tend to study at the gym (running on treadmill or elliptical) when possible but if it's a very dense technical lecture with lots of involved diagrams and memorization then it's definitely going to take review later. However, for lighter topics such as ethics, health care basics, etc then it's definitely a good way to use your time. Can't hurt.

This has been my experience. I keep a fair amount of audio and video lectures on my iphone and I've tried to listen while working out but I usually don't get much out of it. For most topics I'm still a visual learner and I need to be sitting and basically "visualizing" what's being said or following along in text. Just found it hard to truly focus and concentrate on the lecture while working out.

And I just prefer to listen to music or a podcast while running, also good excuse to take a break from studying.

Yes. I don't recommend exercising while listening to the FIRST pass, but after that - as reinforcement, worked well for me. As med school waned, I found that listening to my own dictated summaries of learned material was great for retaining knowledge.

But, don't do your "long" run and expect to listen and learn your lectures for the week. I listen to summaries or lectures for the first 15-20 minutes, then I change to music. Do what works for you though!

Personally, I can't do it. I have to be in a quiet corner studying in order for me to retain anything. I wish I was one that could listen to music or exercise...

Whatever floats your boat.

I felt that after listening to the lectures once, I could flip through the lecture powerpoint way faster than listening to it again. Plus, for me exercise was a time to relax and burn off stress. It's crucial to find time that's protected from med school.

And I found concentrated study time was always more useful than distracted passes at material.

But I also think it's a misconception that to do well in med school you have to be studying all the time. While it may not be a bad idea to go balls to the walls in the beginning as you sort out your study routine, this is not how you want your entire year to go. Sure, there will be periods where you have to go into study machine mode. But, in general you want to be EFFICIENT with the time you do dedicate to studying rather than let it infect all aspects of your life. There's a reason that med students use phrases like high-yield and low-yield so much.

I'd say the vast majority of my classmates by January had a routine that allowed them to do well and have a decent amount of free time. The rest probably broke down into:

1)those who are anal retentive and are nearly incapable of not studying all the time
2)those who intellectually can barely handle the material and need to study all the time just to pass (SMALL PERCENTAGE)
3)Gunners

So I guess what I'm saying is don't obsess about how you can integrate studying to every minute aspect of your life. Concentrate on finding what works for you when you are studying and being efficient so you can actually have some time to enjoy yourself.

Is it possible to run while listening to audio of lectures and retain the information? Has anyone tried this strategy?

I listened to Pestana audio lectures for surgery 2x while running at the gym and I thought it helped quite a bit. I also listened to Goljan at the gym when studying for Step 1. Its easy to do if you're doing cardio, but if you're lifting weights and trying to count your reps I feel like its useless to be trying to pay attention to a lecture at the same time. Its definitely worth a try, especially if you plan on exercising regardless

I listened to goljan lectures while running for a good portion of 2nd year and during step 1 studying. I'd definitely recommend it, they're not difficult to follow and it gives you something else to focus on once you start to get tired. That said, I'd treat it as 'extra' study time, and not use it as an excuse to cut back on actual studying.

Listening to lectures at the gym is the only way I can justify spending as much time working out as I do. I've been able to do a lot of learning in the gym, and it has been an integral part of my success as a first and second year med student.

From the posts it seems the ability to study while exercise depends on the type of exercise and the material studied (subject as well as when studied....first time, review, etc).

I am curious to know for those who said exercising and studying didn't work and who didn't elaborate a lot what type of exercises they construe as working out. I agree with one of the previous posters that some exercise types are not conducive to studying.

From the posts it seems the ability to study while exercise depends on the type of exercise and the material studied (subject as well as when studied....first time, review, etc).

I am curious to know for those who said exercising and studying didn't work and who didn't elaborate a lot what type of exercises they construe as working out. I agree with one of the previous posters that some exercise types are not conducive to studying.

I think that's mostly the case, as well as just that particular person and how they are "wired". If I'm doing weights then I can usually listen to a lecture and be fine, but when I run I like to kind of zone out a little and found that I really couldn't focus on listening well to a lecture. I just preferred to have music in the background and then just "clear my mind" while running. My wife apparently likes to multitask while running or even reading a book on the elliptical, but quickly found out I don't even like talking while running.

I do 30 minutes of cardio (running on an elliptical) and then lift after that. I get the most yield when I am running, but I can still pay attention while I'm lifting.

Lots of people do it. Lots of people read notes on stationary bikes too. Depends on you. Audio lectures don't work at all for me, because I space out within 30 seconds. Reading on stationary bikes works for a first pass through for me...

:thumbup: cannot wait to try this.

I've tried both reading notes on the elliptical and listening to podcasts while running, and I've found that I just tune out anyway.

Ultimately I left exercise time free to just clear my head and not have to think about class for that hour. It's nice to have some decompression time in your day/week.

Three reasons I don't do it.

1) Gym time is to vent and I don't want to see that stuff.

2) If you can read anything then you aren't working hard enough. I know I'm a bit of a nut in the gym, but exercise is supposed to be somewhat difficult. You get what you put in.

3) It is pretty well established that when you are multitasking, nothing is being done well. It is more beneficial to work your arse off for 30 minutes and then study afterwards than an hour of mediocre cardio where you really won't remember much once you walk out. I know someone will say they are the exception to the rule, but those people actually tend to be worse at multitasking.

Three reasons I don't do it.

1) Gym time is to vent and I don't want to see that stuff.

2) If you can read anything then you aren't working hard enough. I know I'm a bit of a nut in the gym, but exercise is supposed to be somewhat difficult. You get what you put in.

3) It is pretty well established that when you are multitasking, nothing is being done well. It is more beneficial to work your arse off for 30 minutes and then study afterwards than an hour of mediocre cardio where you really won't remember much once you walk out. I know someone will say they are the exception to the rule, but those people actually tend to be worse at multitasking.

I agree with this 1000 percent. You won't get any decent studying in nor will you get a decent workout. I think to do either activity properly requires a fair amount of focus.

I tried to listen to recorded lectures once in between doing heavy squats. Not only did it completely ruin my workout, but I also retained next to nothing from the material I was listening to. It may be counterintuitive, but combining activities won't increase efficiency. Just keep em' separate and give 100% effort on each.

I agree with this 1000 percent. You won't get any decent studying in nor will you get a decent workout. I think to do either activity properly requires a fair amount of focus.

I tried to listen to recorded lectures once in between doing heavy squats. Not only did it completely ruin my workout, but I also retained next to nothing from the material I was listening to. It may be counterintuitive, but combining activities won't increase efficiency. Just keep em' separate and give 100% effort on each.

Everyone is different

I almost always studied/read/flipped through flash cards in between sets while working out
I lifted like a fiend and lifted some damn heavy weights- even won several segments in natural weightlifting
Did rather well in medical school (AOA, 99, now an ortho resident).

Point is- everyone is different- do what works best for you.

Last edited:
Everyone is different

I almost always studied/read/flipped through flash cards in between sets while working out
I lifted like a fiend and lifted some damn heavy weights- even won several segments in natural weightlifting
Did rather well in medical school (AOA, 99, now an ortho resident).

Point is- everyone is different- do what works best for you.

You my friend, must be either much smarter than I, or be better at recovering between sets. . . perhaps both. I'm certainly not going to win any awards for weightlifting and probably wont' match into ortho because my bench is weak. You may be the exception to the rule, but I seriously doubt that trying to mix studying and working out would be effective for the typical student.

You my friend, must be either much smarter than I, or be better at recovering between sets. . . perhaps both. I'm certainly not going to win any awards for weightlifting and probably wont' match into ortho because my bench is weak. You may be the exception to the rule, but I seriously doubt that trying to mix studying and working out would be effective for the typical student.

Not smarter, not better at recovering between sets.... just different