MD & DO Image occlusion of lecture slides

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taeyeonlover

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this? I am pretty new to anki and it takes me a lot of time to make cards. I feel like I can make cards faster if I just take screenshot of the lecture slides and put boxes over facts I want to learn.

I am wondering if I won’t retain much if I make cards like this. Should I just make more basic or cloze cards even if it’s more time consuming?

Unfortunately, none of the upperclassmen did not make a deck for this class so I have to make from scratch :(

Members don't see this ad.

I would try and use a premade deck like AnKing instead of making your own cards. Otherwise if you really have to make your own cards I would do cloze deletions, it’s time consuming at first but as you do it more you’ll get a lot faster at it. Also try and watch some YouTube videos about making your own cards or how to use the AnKing deck

I did this when I couldn't find a good card in the Anking deck for the fact I wanted to remember. I often like to just search Anking for the given term or whatever first and unsuspend cards as needed, and then if there wasn't one I took a screenshot and image occluded. I don't think this is the optimal way to study, ideally you would make cloze deletions as the above poster said, but image occlusions worked much better for my particular workflow (watching lectures online but live) and it worked well enough. I think it can work if you double check Anking first and don't use this method to make more than the essential cards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Making your own cards is necessary under some circumstances. IMO the juice ain’t worth the squeeze for regularly image occluding or cloze deleting class lecture material. Even for seasoned Anki’ers, the time spent making cards is an exercise in ‘making good flash cards’ rather than ‘actively learning the material.’

You might consider unsuspending the relevant AnKing cards first, going through them, and then making custom cards based exclusively on the lecture material that AnKing didn’t cover.

But to answer your question - image occluding can be very effective. You can mix the two together. It can be tough to initially recognize when cloze deletions are superior to image occlusions, but after a few lectures it will start to become self evident where to use each.

I use image occluded lecture slides in Anki as my main source of studying and I've been successful so far, but luckily I have premade decks from a student a year ahead of me. I think it's great for the lecturers that ask exam questions directly from their slides, but I'm honestly not convinced that it's the best way to be learning material for the long run. I get the feeling that when I'll have to start studying for step 1, I might be a little behind the curve since I spent more time memorizing slides than synthesizing the content and relationships. At the very least, image occlusion is a pretty quick method to make your own cards if you're in a time crunch, but as others have stated, if you have the time then cloze deletion is usually the best.