MUSC COA 135k OOS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucsfbound2017

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.PNG
    IMG_0001.PNG
    376.1 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Man how can people afford this? Apparently 1/3rd of the class is OOS. How is this feasible?

Rich parents

But the real question is, how is that in-state feasible? It boggles my mind that SC students don't have a cheaper in-state option, because for less you can go to a different school that's out of state. I used to live in Charleston..glad I moved to a different state haha

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Over 100k in tuition alone. Why is it that other schools can operate at much lower fees, like the Texas schools, and others charge so much more? My school is expensive and has tuition set at 60k for OOS. What makes some schools charge half as much as other schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Over 100k in tuition alone. Why is it that other schools can operate at much lower fees, like the Texas schools, and others charge so much more? My school is expensive and has tuition set at 60k for OOS. What makes some schools charge half as much as other schools?
Some states probably give more funding to their dental schools than others. South Carolina must not give much lol

Reactions: 1 users
Are they trying to beat out USC and NYU in tuition? lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Took a peak at their medicine tuition and their OOS medical tuition = instate Dental tuition. Im bamboozled there.

Outrageous. Most other public schools do have higher dental tuition because of instruments and maybe 4-5k higher. But this is on another level.

Every student at musc

Attachments

• IMG_1436.GIF
    IMG_1436.GIF
    333.3 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: 2 users
I never heard of MUSC, and from the title I thought it would be 135k for your entire academic period.

lol guess not

Rich parents

This coupled with students who just flat out don't realize how long it's going to take them to pay off those loans. I'd say 60-70% of the pre-health students I mentored at my undergrad didn't even strongly consider the debt they were taking on by going to School X over School Y. Most students are just naive and aren't making responsible financial decisions these days, and I blame the school system. There seriously needs to be a mandatory course taught as part of the general education requirements to graduate with a bachelors degree for all majors on how to manage their finances, but that wouldn't be prosperous for the school systems as they continue to raise their tuition costs. They want students to keep paying the outrageous increased tuition costs. The problem with the US college system is that there are loans that are backed up by the federal government, so since the schools are guaranteed to get their money they can just jack up the price. It's as simple as that.

Reactions: 1 users
Rich parents

But the real question is, how is that in-state feasible? It boggles my mind that SC students don't have a cheaper in-state option, because for less you can go to a different school that's out of state. I used to live in Charleston..glad I moved to a different state haha

This is currently a problem I am having to deal with. I'm a resident of SC and it cost roughly the same for out of state as it does for in state at MUSC. Not sure what SC is doing but I wish they would get it together!

It has a connection to SC's current governor asking the school to raise tuition in order to continue to receive funding. Their thought is students in-state will attend no matter the cost... it's absurd that my in-state option is the second most expensive school I applied to. I'm not going to MUSC as a result of the price.

It has a connection to SC's current governor asking the school to raise tuition in order to continue to receive funding. Their thought is students in-state will attend no matter the cost... it's absurd that my in-state option is the second most expensive school I applied to. I'm not going to MUSC as a result of the price.
I would let them know the why in your decision email!

I think you need to call president underwood and let him know. He's so disconnected with his champagne that might have lost touch with what's going on with his home state. I think a heartfelt letter to him will definitely force him to refocus his attention to sc.

I did research here one summer and I frequently saw a Maybach parked out front so I think I have a pretty good idea where the tuition is going...

As soon as people stop attending/applying there they will drop tuition. It's no one's fault but our own.

dang, that's some high costs for both in and out of state. I think I would've chosen other schools before I pick this one.