Music major. Should I get a LOR from music faculty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maybedoc1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a non traditional music major/history minor who is applying this upcoming cycle. I currently have four LORs lined up, but I'm wondering if it would be strange to not get a letter from my major (even if it is somewhat unrelated to medicine)? The current letters I have are:

1 from a biochemistry professor: I did really well in his class and went to his help room a lot. He knows me fairly well from there.

1 from a physics professor: I didn't know him too well during the course. I got an A- in his class (literally one more correct answer on any test would have gotten me an A), however I reached out to him since I had taken most of my prerequisites 6ish years ago and a lot of schools require 2 science LORs. He offered to write me one, but wanted me to stop by his office in order to get to know me better. We ended up talking for a long time and I felt like it went surprisingly well. I feel like he will actually write me a pretty good one?

1 from a doctor that I scribed with for a year and a half: Hopefully it's a good one. He was fairly difficult to scribe for (very detailed), but I always did well with his notes. Pretty sure he liked me too.

1 from a history professor I took some classes with: He was an awesome professor and the reason I became a history minor (I hated history when I was younger). I went to his office fairly often and we would talk about life/future plans. He really encouraged me to pursue higher education and he might be one of the reasons (subconsciously) I rethought medical school?

If I were to get one from music faculty I would have two people in mind.

One was my drum teacher who I took lessons with for a bunch of years. His "office" was right by the practice room where I spent A LOT of time in. He saw firsthand how dedicated I was and how much time I spent practicing. He even gave me a copy of his book when I graduated! I'm pretty sure he's retired now and he only had a bachelors (in biology I believe?) Not sure if that matters though.

Another one would be my advisor who also taught a bunch of my classes. I did fairly well in all of her classes, but I definitely emphasized practicing vs. getting the best possible grades while in music school. I still had a 3.75 so it's not like I did bad, but I'm not sure if my effort in jazz history truly depicted how much time I put into music. She didn't necessarily see all the hours I put in elsewhere. She has a PhD and still teaches there.

So would it be weird to not get a letter from music faculty or am I fine with what I have?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I got one from the Music Program director at my school and my interviewer mentioned it a few times and said it's cool to see a little diversity from the purely science only applicants. Which ever one you know best would probably be a good complimentary letter to those science professor letters so I'd say go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
A strong non-sci letter can complement (but not substitute) your sci letters. That said, schools mostly want letters to assess your performance in class which is why sci letters take priority. If music was a large part of your personal narrative, I think maybe you could include it after your 3 prof letters (the doctor letter is low priority, only send to the few schools who want it).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Since you have one from history professor you don't need one from music department unless you think it will be a strong letter. Some schools allow upto 6 letters.

The best bet would be to get a letter from both the history and music professors and see which is stronger. A strong non-science letter can do wonders, but the law of limiting returns applies quickly here.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
IMO 5 letters is fine. I would print out the AAMC’s guide for letter writers which includes the competencies they should speak to.

yay fellow music major! Seems like your drum teacher might be a strong letter, if it's not too much trouble I'd say it wouldn't hurt to ask! Not worth stressing over if you don't though.