MWU-IL vs. ASDOH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yostwafu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! First I would like to congratz everyone on their acceptances. I've been trying to get into dental school for the last 6 years and I finally made it. Recently, I was accepted into Midwestern IL and ATSTILL Az. I have done a lot of researches before applying to these two schools and I still haven't made up my mind yet. Please let me know what are the pros and cons that you can think of about these two schools. Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! First I would like to congratz everyone on their acceptances. I've been trying to get into dental school for the last 6 years and I finally made it. Recently, I was accepted into Midwestern IL and ATSTILL Az. I have done a lot of researches before applying to these two schools and I still haven't made up my mind yet. Please let me know what are the pros and cons that you can think of about these two schools. Thank you very much!
where are you from, where do you intend to practice after you graduate, which schools are nearer to friends, family, sig other?
what is the difference in cost of attendance?

Logistically ATSTILL AZ would make the most sense. Nice weather. Close to Cali. Makes it alot easier to go home for the holidays. Easier to network after DS when looking for a job (closer to Cali). I'm sure you already know this.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard there is quite a bit of public health exposure at ATSU. They do a lot of extractions, lots of clinical time. I've heard great things about clinic in MWU-AZ, but have not heard the same about MWU-IL.

Also, its in IL. if you are from Cali, its gonna be a huge adjustment for sure. AZ is fairly similar climate wise to adjust to as well as you can likely just drive over to LA or wherever in cali for a weekend pretty easily.

Please tell me you have a scholarship, or are doing NHSC or something along those lines.......

Do you happened to know which school is more competitive? I know that the class size of ATSTILL-Az is around 75 and Mid-IL is 130.
More competitive in what terms? I wouldn't really factor that in too much. each class is completely different based on who is in it - the people comprise the class culture.

More competitive in what terms? I wouldn't really factor that in too much. each class is completely different based on who is in it - the people comprise the class culture.
I would say what I'm worried about is how supportive the program is. I've heard stories about schools that try to weed students out of the programs. I hope none of that is true.

Tbh, I don't have any of that and I'm applying for loans. I know these two schools are quite costly however I also think I'm fortunate enough to be offered a seat.
....... And you’re this is exactly why dental schools are still in business scamming thousands of pre dentals every year. Please please please count the red flags and do some serious research before you ruin your life financially.

1) You’ve been applying for 6 YEARS. So 6 years of lost income.

2) You’re options are two schools that are $500k+. I can tell you’ve never studied basic economics or finances because any reasonable individual would recognize that that is financial suicide.

3) your going back to and want to work in California. One of the absolute worst states to work, and live and one that definitely won’t help you even make a dent in that debt.

It’s all over SDN and the internet. Go look at Dave Ramsey, white coat investor etc.

If you decide to not head the warnings and go anyways, please save this post and report back in 10 years so other pre dents don’t make the same disastrous mistake.

There are so many things wrong with this picture. Make the adjustments now before it’s too late. You may think your “fortunate” because you’re in an extremely vulnerable situation, and dental schools know that and that’s where they want you but this is not good.

Make the tough decisions now, you’ll be glad you did.

Reactions: 4 users
And I apologize for being blunt, probably not the best way to go. But just take the time to study the basic finances of how much money that is. Mathematically, potential income to debt ratio, those loans will bind you for years to come.

A lot of happiness can be had with financial independence. You’ll basically be a slave to those loans for most of your working life.

Reactions: 1 users
....... And you’re this is exactly why dental schools are still in business scamming thousands of pre dentals every year. Please please please count the red flags and do some serious research before you ruin your life financially.

1) You’ve been applying for 6 YEARS. So 6 years of lost income.

2) You’re options are two schools that are $500k+. I can tell you’ve never studied basic economics or finances because any reasonable individual would recognize that that is financial suicide.

3) your going back to and want to work in California. One of the absolute worst states to work, and live and one that definitely won’t help you even make a dent in that debt.

It’s all over SDN and the internet. Go look at Dave Ramsey, white coat investor etc.

If you decide to not head the warnings and go anyways, please save this post and report back in 10 years so other pre dents don’t make the same disastrous mistake.

There are so many things wrong with this picture. Make the adjustments now before it’s too late. You may think your “fortunate” because you’re in an extremely vulnerable situation, and dental schools know that and that’s where they want you but this is not good.

Make the tough decisions now, you’ll be glad you did.
The alternative being what? I see a lot of these posts, but he probably wants to do dentistry beyond purely monetary reasons. I’d rather pay back loans and be a dentist than go do cpu science or something, but that’s just me. And that being said he/she will still make good money as a dentist taking on significant loans, just not on par with the golden era dentists, which seems to be the standard.

Members don't see this ad :)
The alternative being what? I see a lot of these posts, but he probably wants to do dentistry beyond purely monetary reasons. I’d rather pay back loans and be a dentist than go do cpu science or something, but that’s just me. And that being said he/she will still make good money as a dentist taking on significant loans, just not on par with the golden era dentists, which seems to be the standard.
For me personally there is not a single "beyond purely monetary reason" I would want to go 500k in the hole. You can significantly help people in many, many other careers. If you truly love teeth, you can become a dental hygienist - in many cases they are financially ahead of a negative 500k dentist. in my experience, most do not care that much for teeth and know very little about dentistry when entering dental school. That is not a huge deal, as you can learn everything you need to and adapt as needed. However, when taking out a half million, you will essentially be an indentured servant to the debt.

You can not take time off. Your monthly loan bill will be a few thousand dollars each month. Interest does not sleep and does not take vacations. Your loans will be the primary stress in your life likely for years, if not decades.

I appreciate your comment about golden era dentists. Yes if the OP is a unicorn and has extensive business skills ands buys a practice right out of school he/she can kill it. However I know of a grand total of 3 people that have ever done that, and all of them are now practice consultants. It is not a good idea to make future plans based on assuming you will be in the top percentile of income, but rather assume you will be the average.

the majority of new grad dentists are making 120-150k. If the OP goes back to California he will be making likely less with a higher taxation rate and COL. The debt to income ratio is horrible for 120k:500k. You can not get ahead in your life. I am not sure what sort of life you want for yourself or if you have kids, but they are expensive. And you want to support your family, not be worrying about paying off your own loans when your kids are in college. At that point in your life you will hate yourself for making this decision. I am saying from talking to dentists in their 40s with hundreds of thousands in debt that have told me this exact thing.

I wish the OP well and encourage him/her to try applying for some sort of scholarship like HPSP/NHSC etc. Otherwise I would cut your losses now and not enter either of these schools.

For me personally there is not a single "beyond purely monetary reason" I would want to go 500k in the hole. You can significantly help people in many, many other careers. If you truly love teeth, you can become a dental hygienist - in many cases they are financially ahead of a negative 500k dentist. in my experience, most do not care that much for teeth and know very little about dentistry when entering dental school. That is not a huge deal, as you can learn everything you need to and adapt as needed. However, when taking out a half million, you will essentially be an indentured servant to the debt.

You can not take time off. Your monthly loan bill will be a few thousand dollars each month. Interest does not sleep and does not take vacations. Your loans will be the primary stress in your life likely for years, if not decades.

I appreciate your comment about golden era dentists. Yes if the OP is a unicorn and has extensive business skills ands buys a practice right out of school he/she can kill it. However I know of a grand total of 3 people that have ever done that, and all of them are now practice consultants. It is not a good idea to make future plans based on assuming you will be in the top percentile of income, but rather assume you will be the average.

the majority of new grad dentists are making 120-150k. If the OP goes back to California he will be making likely less with a higher taxation rate and COL. The debt to income ratio is horrible for 120k:500k. You can not get ahead in your life. I am not sure what sort of life you want for yourself or if you have kids, but they are expensive. And you want to support your family, not be worrying about paying off your own loans when your kids are in college. At that point in your life you will hate yourself for making this decision. I am saying from talking to dentists in their 40s with hundreds of thousands in debt that have told me this exact thing.

I wish the OP well and encourage him/her to try applying for some sort of scholarship like HPSP/NHSC etc. Otherwise I would cut your losses now and not enter either of these schools.
I guess my point is- what’s the yearly take home after loans given even the worst scenario, i.e. he’s a gp with high loans and his/her starting salary never increases over the years? I would argue it’s still more than enough to raise kids comfortably (by my upper middle class definition), send them off to college, etc. Will he/she be balling, no? And he/she will have the psychological burden if he/she chooses to (frame of mind) that he/she has an extra payment every month.

I guess my point is- what’s the yearly take home after loans given even the worst scenario, i.e. he’s a gp with high loans and his/her starting salary never increases over the years? I would argue it’s still more than enough to raise kids comfortably (by my upper middle class definition), send them off to college, etc. Will he/she be balling, no? And he/she will have the psychological burden if he/she chooses to (frame of mind) that he/she has an extra payment every month.
Here is an old post that breaks down a potential budget.

Basically in this scenario, you have 9k take home per month. 5k goes to your loans, leaving you with 4k a month.

4*12 = 48k. It is not unreasonable to say that some dental assistant/office managers make more than this. Hygienists in certain areas definitely do.
1609018371479.png

Again, the OP can go out there and be a practice owner and just crush it. It's definitely possible, and I'm not here to crush the OP's dreams. I just personally could not justify it for myself. I think this post is a realistic estimate of what life may end up like. Also the rent here is 1000$ - definitely not Cali rent or taxes, and not including anything to do with kids or family.

There are soooo many jobs out there that bring as much satisfaction that will provide you so much more financial stability. Seriously. The reason people keep falling for this same ol’ trick is 1) they’ve never see this much money in their live. So therefore, they’re desensitized to how much $500k is.
2) they justify and tell themselves “well every dentist before them has done it.” And the truth is. No no they haven’t. Tuition has never been this high. Especially when compared to income. They never have buried in the mountain of debt. I’m a D2 in dental school right now. I got lucky to go to a relatively ‘cheap’ school. I would NEVER go through this much BS and headache for $500k. Dental school isn’t easy. It’s stressful and takes a toll. Why do that just to financially crush you the rest of your life?

again, to the OP this is probably hard to hear. And don’t mean to crush your dreams, but this is small compared to what you will do to yourself later.

Here is an old post that breaks down a potential budget.

Basically in this scenario, you have 9k take home per month. 5k goes to your loans, leaving you with 4k a month.

4*12 = 48k. It is not unreasonable to say that some dental assistant/office managers make more than this. Hygienists in certain areas definitely do.
View attachment 325893

Again, the OP can go out there and be a practice owner and just crush it. It's definitely possible, and I'm not here to crush the OP's dreams. I just personally could not justify it for myself. I think this post is a realistic estimate of what life may end up like. Also the rent here is 1000$ - definitely not Cali rent or taxes, and not including anything to do with kids or family.
This person’s breakdown is for a 10 year aggressive payback at 7%. And what happens after ten years? Isn’t that extra 60k that he’s paying into loans yearly now in his pocket?

There are soooo many jobs out there that bring as much satisfaction that will provide you so much more financial stability. Seriously. The reason people keep falling for this same ol’ trick is 1) they’ve never see this much money in their live. So therefore, they’re desensitized to how much $500k is.
2) they justify and tell themselves “well every dentist before them has done it.” And the truth is. No no they haven’t. Tuition has never been this high. Especially when compared to income. They never have buried in the mountain of debt. I’m a D2 in dental school right now. I got lucky to go to a relatively ‘cheap’ school. I would NEVER go through this much BS and headache for $500k. Dental school isn’t easy. It’s stressful and takes a toll. Why do that just to financially crush you the rest of your life?

again, to the OP this is probably hard to hear. And don’t mean to crush your dreams, but this is small compared to what you will do to yourself later.
Funny that it’s always the people that got into “cheap” schools that say these types of things. And like I said, maybe he wants to be a dentist instead of the sooooo many jobs you can dream up that provide soooo much satisfaction. Give him a list of jobs you think he should do instead, that would be more helpful.

Dental hygienist
Nurse
Podiatrist
Physician assistant
Chiropractor
Respiratory therapist
Realtor
Accountant
Engineer (mechanical, chemical, nuclear whatever)
Small business opener (LOADS of options here)
Dental supply sales or manufacturer
Dental lab technician, especially owning
Nurse practitioner
Optometrist
Physical therapist
Occupational therapy
Medical management

just some off the top of my head.

Also, funny you assume. I actually got into ASDOH as well. And 3 other schools all over $450k

so I had to make tough decisions

Dental hygienist
Nurse
Podiatrist
Physician assistant
Chiropractor
Respiratory therapist
Realtor
Accountant
Engineer (mechanical, chemical, nuclear whatever)
Small business opener (LOADS of options here)
Dental supply sales or manufacturer
Dental lab technician, especially owning
Nurse practitioner
Optometrist
Physical therapist
Occupational therapy
Medical management

just some off the top of my head.

Also, funny you assume. I actually got into ASDOH as well. And 3 other schools all over $450k

so I had to make tough decisions
I just meant that you gained acceptance to a cheap school (whichever one that may be), not a luxury for all. And I said “cheap” because how much are we really talking here

I just meant that you gained acceptance to a cheap school (whichever one that may be), not a luxury for all. And I said “cheap” because how much are we really talking here
I’m “saving” ~$180-200k

otherwise. I probably would’ve reevaluated my career path, or applied for HPSP. Which I was doing since the ‘cheaper’ option didn’t come in the first round.

Knowing what I know now, no way would I have gone to school for $500k

That is my #1 piece of advice to pre dents. Don’t put in the grueling work to get into dental school and go through dental school unless you have a chance at 10-15 cheapest schools. Because there are way better avenues that done screw you over.

Those reasons are logical but I totally agree with you. If you have a dream ( which in his case 6 years of waiting proves that)then it doesn't matter how much you are gonna be in debt. Yes its financial suicide but for those who see dentistry as a business.

Those reasons are logical but I totally agree with you. If you have a dream ( which in his case 6 years of waiting proves that)then it doesn't matter how much you are gonna be in debt. Yes its financial suicide but for those who see dentistry as a business.
But you missed the part where I said it wasn’t

Curious what does dentistry mean to you if it is not a business or a job? How do you know it means so much to you till you actually become a dentist? then what if those meanings change after 5 years of working but the debt remains?

dentistry is not a religion, and if you are looking for meaning in your life it certainly won't be found in dental school. again I appreciate your passion, but I simply can't make the math work for me.

Last edited:
Curious what does dentistry mean to you if it is not a business or a job? How do you know it means so much to you till you actually become a dentist? then what if those meanings change after 5 years of working but the debt remains?

dentistry is not a religion, and if you are looking for meaning in your life it certainly won't be found in dental school. again I appreciate your passion, but I simply can't make the math work for me.
Lets agree we have different points of viewes. Dentistry is a health related job which means before you think about money you should think about your community. If you solely think about money and see patients as money bills then why would you bother yourself with 4 years dental school? Just simply go to business school. Trust me there is a lot of other jobs that you can make much more money than dentistry. Also isnt that true we just live for once? Then why would you discourage people from following their dreams.
Maybe dentistry wasnt a dream job for you but for someone that has tried 6 years to get into dental school it means a lot more than what it is in your dictionary.

Last edited:
I've read every single response on here, thank you everyone for your thoughtful inputs! I know interest will be cumulated over the years however, there's still an option of pay as you earn and that's what I'd do. As someone has mentioned above, it is true that I've never seen 500k in my life before, but that doesn't mean I don't know how big it is. I grew up in dirt floor shed and our family income was only 100 bucks a month. Let's say my return each month is $4800, that is still a lot comparing to $100 we used to make before.

I also agree there are other jobs that would generate more money than dentistry. As someone has mentioned, dental hygienist, PA,... etc., I'm curious why did you choose dental school over these? (this is a serious question, because obviously considering the cheapest dental program still costs a lot more than the rest).

Last edited:
I became a dentist for all the reasons you would mention in an interview, but also to make solid money for my family and lifestyle. I went to a state school and did HPSP. My wife didn't have a scholarship and accrued those loans(~300K) when I refinanced again and again. I double each payment (minimum + extra) to go directly into principal. It has taken a good 5 years and over 3K a month. In that time we have also a morgage (2.1K month), had 3 kids, paying over 3K a month in daycare fees so we could both work, and expanded to accommodate those kids (cars, furniture, etc.). We have taken these loans as I didn't have them and we had a double doctor income, but living expenses have made even that tough. Taking more loans and only one income would be very tough.
To be frank, I agree with those that say to abstain unless there is a third party helping flip the bill. Chase your dream if it is feasible. I would say your first goal should be to support your family, not financial suicide. Are you planning on helping your parents with their $100/month living? White Coat Investor is a great source to read about finances and loans. Here is an article with looking at dental debt and specialties. The same concept would stand for dental school itself.

Let's say my return each month is $4800, that is still a lot comparing to $100 we used to make before.
This is not smart thinking as your payment will also be a lot more than they were before and COL, inflation have occurred since. I know you really want to be a dentist, but there are A LOT of sound reasons, by those that are on the other side of school, to not pursue dentistry (at least at these schools) if they cost that much.
Do what you think best.

Last edited:
I've read every single response on here, thank you everyone for your thoughtful inputs! I know interest will be cumulated over the years however, there's still an option of pay as you earn and that's what I'd do. As someone has mentioned above, it is true that I've never seen 500k in my life before, but that doesn't mean I don't know how big it is. I grew up in dirt floor shed and our family income was only 100 bucks a month. Let's say my return each month is $4800, that is still a lot comparing to $100 we used to make before.

I also agree there are other jobs that would generate more money than dentistry. As someone has mentioned, dental hygienist, PA,... etc., I'm curious why did you choose dental school over these? (this is a serious question, because obviously considering the cheapest dental program still costs a lot more than the rest).
Do what you’re gonna do, just make sure to save this post and in 7-10 years report back and let us know how it’s working out.

Lets agree we have different points of viewes. Dentistry is a health related job which means before you think about money you should think about your community. If you solely think about money and see patients as money bills then why would you bother yourself with 4 years dental school? Just simply go to business school. Trust me there is a lot of other jobs that you can make much more money than dentistry. Also isnt that true we just live for once? Then why would you discourage people from following their dreams.
Maybe dentistry wasnt a dream job for you but for someone that has tried 6 years to get into dental school it means a lot more than what it is in your dictionary.
I agree with your point here. Ideally healthcare professionals would definitely prioritize the patient's health over any sort of monetary compensation.

What I am saying is that putting myself 500k in debt is just not the way to do that. For many, many docs (maybe not yourself), having this much debt would incentivize them to see pts as money bills as you said. That is what pretty much every DSO does, and they know the doc has to produce, otherwise they will be fired and the loan payment is still due.

Again I am not discouraging the OP necessarily from becoming a dentist, rather I am discouraging them from taking out that much debt to do so. wishing the best for you and your future OP!