My Adderall Predicament

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

txlonghorn2314

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I was diagnosed with ADHD and have been prescribed adderall for about 3 years now. I've always hated feeling like I have to take a pill every day to "function properly", but I didn't want to go through what I had to deal with without it. Well, about 6 months ago, I noticed feeling "dumber", having a lot of dull-witted moments, and overall, feeling slow in the head. So I decided to try a personal experiment. I didn't take my adderall for a few days and took notice to how I thought, focused etc. Afterward, I went back on it and did the same.

My personal results were that when I am not on adderall I obviously lack the ability to really focus hard on any task (and also felt some depression), however, my overall thought process was better! As in my sharpness and ability to quickly think of a solution to a problem (like how to fix the sink or take the best route home). Basically felt much more intelligent.

When I am on my adderall, I can sit and focus on things such as writing papers or memorizing flashcards, and it also makes me not feel so chronically fatigued like I did before being prescribed, but cognitively, my sharpness severely lacks. I have way more "brainfarts", lack awareness of my surroundings, and simply can connect the dots in even the simplest given scenario. :confused: I really don't know what I should do because as a physician, I know you obviously need both focus AND critical thinking/problem solving skills. Any words of advice would be amazing, because I really don't know if I should stop taking it or not. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so I was diagnosed with ADHD and have been prescribed adderall for about 3 years now. I've always hated feeling like I have to take a pill every day to "function properly", but I didn't want to go through what I had to deal with without it. Well, about 6 months ago, I noticed feeling "dumber", having a lot of dull-witted moments, and overall, feeling slow in the head. So I decided to try a personal experiment. I didn't take my adderall for a few days and took notice to how I thought, focused etc. Afterward, I went back on it and did the same.

My personal results were that when I am not on adderall I obviously lack the ability to really focus hard on any task (and also felt some depression), however, my overall thought process was better! As in my sharpness and ability to quickly think of a solution to a problem (like how to fix the sink or take the best route home). Basically felt much more intelligent.

When I am on my adderall, I can sit and focus on things such as writing papers or memorizing flashcards, and it also makes me not feel so chronically fatigued like I did before being prescribed, but cognitively, my sharpness severely lacks. I have way more "brainfarts", lack awareness of my surroundings, and simply can connect the dots in even the simplest given scenario. :confused: I really don't know what I should do because as a physician, I know you obviously need both focus AND critical thinking/problem solving skills. Any words of advice would be amazing, because I really don't know if I should stop taking it or not. Thanks!

ASK YOUR DOCTOR.

/thread

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely going to get closed. This isn't the place to ask for medical advice.

I'm going on Tuesday to the doctor, I just figured I would post this to see if anyone had a similar experience and could possibly shed some light is all.

ASK YOUR DOCTOR.

/thread

aint-nobody-got-time-for-that.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.