My advice to pre-pharmers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
BTW, that story about people leaving for residency makes no sense. If they're about to leave for a residency, they'd be leaving for a pharmacist position anyway and there would be intern positions opening up.

I just call and ask them if they are hiring or not. I don't say anything else. If they say they are hiring then I tell them I am a pharmacy student and that I am interested in the job etc. and that I have applied online. I also tell them my name and phone #. That's what I usually do. I did tour the Nuclear pharmacy b/c I am really interested in that...too bad they want a P1 not a P3. :rolleyes:

I honestly do not know why he told me that. He just say there are two students applying for residency...if they get it they will leave and spots will open up.

That's all that he said. I will ask him around the end of this month and just ask him if he is hiring or not. If he says no then I will just look at my original Walmart job or I can just take the job I already have at Rite Aid...only thing is they only offer 350hrs. I need 500hrs.

Members don't see this ad.

However, if you answer ALL the questions the way they want then you also fail because they assume you were lying on the test.
For instance, they have a question asking if you are usually on time for work or class. For that, you want a strong yes. Then there's another one asking if you have NEVER been late for a class or work. Obviously, if you answer that yes then they assume you lied on the test.

Exactly. Every automated self-assesment pre-hiring exam has a cut-off.

In these surveys they want to discover wether they can trust you or not. If you say that you have "stolen money from the register, but put it back later" then they know you're a theif.

But if you say that "You've never stolen something small like a pen, even by accident" then they know your a liar.

It's about being honest and not a blatent idiot.

Only $9/hr to be in charge of the place? :bullcrap:

I call that BS too. I heard the Store Manager of Walgreens make anywhere from 60K to 90K a year. Depending on how busy that Walgreens is.

Whenever you are a manager you should at least be making around the upper 60K to 70K range. Maybe even more if your store is busy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly. Every automated self-assesment pre-hiring exam has a cut-off.

In these surveys they want to discover wether they can trust you or not. If you say that you have "stolen money from the register, but put it back later" then they know you're a theif.

But if you say that "You've never stolen something small like a pen, even by accident" then they know your a liar.

It's about being honest and not a blatent idiot.

Those questions are easy. I always put I have never stolen anything or broken the law etc. Those questions are EASY.

It's those what would you do with this customer or what would you do with your coworker type questions that throw me off.

Those questions are easy. I always put I have never stolen anything or broken the law etc. Those questions are EASY.

It's those what would you do with this customer or what would you do with your coworker type questions that throw me off.

Those are easy too. You always want to be a total push-over.
They are usually looking to see that you don't try to conquer difficult situations on your own, and that you'll seek the assistance of a manager/supervisor/whatever.

It's counter-intuitive, because we are (for the most part, as a result of our professional inclinations) people who like to get things done, But that's a sale you need to make in person. Selling that quality over a survey makes you seem like a loose cannon.

(and I will get someone to help me with this exam the next time I have to retake it! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:)

I will be happy to help if you want when the time comes. They are child's play once you know what they are looking for.

When I did the hiring at WinnDixie I often took the exam for the applicants - I hated it when they failed it after I interviewed them, so I often just did it myself rather than having them do it. Anyway if you want help when the time comes just shoot me a PM, unless you think it's academic dishonesty. ;)

SHC, if you think those are hard, you should try the SLA or the TLA.

Edit: I can't believe I'm becoming one of those students who are like "if you think ____ is hard, just wait until _____" or "you think _____ is hard? you should try ____"

Oh goodness, you're one of those! (Although Just about everyone is with some order of P.Chem and O.Chem)

I will be happy to help if you want when the time comes. They are child's play once you know what they are looking for.

When I did the hiring at WinnDixie I often took the exam for the applicants - I hated it when they failed it after I interviewed them, so I often just did it myself rather than having them do it. Anyway if you want help when the time comes just shoot me a PM, unless you think it's academic dishonesty. ;)

OMG!!!!! I WOULD LOVE THAT!!!!!!!!!!! :love: I will PM you. I think I need to take it around the begining of May. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! It's a very very very hard exam...I posted 3 sample questions in the last page if you want to read them. :rolleyes: I hate those kinds of questions the MOST!

Those are easy too. You always want to be a total push-over.
They are usually looking to see that you don't try to conquer difficult situations on your own, and that you'll seek the assistance of a manager/supervisor/whatever.

It's counter-intuitive, because we are (for the most part, as a result of our professional inclinations) people who like to get things done, But that's a sale you need to make in person. Selling that quality over a survey makes you seem like a loose cannon.

They prefer that I get the manager or someone else? I FIGURE they would prefer that I do my own work!!! If I was the manager I would hate to be bother so I prefer people to do their own work! WOW...I learn something new everyday! :laugh:

Oh goodness, you're one of those! (Although Just about everyone is with some order of P.Chem and O.Chem)

I've tried very hard not to be like that. I guess I couldn't help it in that case.

I honestly do not know why he told me that. He just say there are two students applying for residency...if they get it they will leave and spots will open up.

I think he was lying to you. Or you just misunderstood.

I call that BS too. I heard the Store Manager of Walgreens make anywhere from 60K to 90K a year. Depending on how busy that Walgreens is.

Whenever you are a manager you should at least be making around the upper 60K to 70K range. Maybe even more if your store is busy.

Source? Plenty of managers don't make that much.

I graduated with a chemistry degree. I thought all the chem classes were pretty easy except P.Chem...I hated P.Chem!!!! :mad: O.Chem and Gen Chem were easy though.

SHC, if you think those are hard, you should try the SLA or the TLA.

Edit: I can't believe I'm becoming one of those students who are like "if you think ____ is hard, just wait until _____" or "you think _____ is hard? you should try ____"

Never heard of SLA or TLA. I hate those stupid exams!!!! Just give me the job!!!!!! I hate this hunting crap. I am not use to it at all.

Maybe he is lying. Oh well. But I will go back and ask him ONE more time. If he is hiring or not at the end of April (thats when he told me he will know for sure) so I will ask him one more time. If he says no, then I'll just work for Rite Aid. The only reason I want that job in Kroger is b/c it is walking distance from my house! :laugh: Or I would have never even go to the store in the first place.

When I was working at Walgreens an assitant manager was debating on whether he wants to go to pharmacy school and make 120K a year OR stay with Walgreens and try to get a Store Manager position that pays anywhere from 60K to 90K. Depending on how busy the store is. He told me those figures when he was deciding on what to do with his life.

Members don't see this ad :)

Walgreens Starting salary for a Pharmacist in Central Texas is $110k/yr

Pharmacy managers make 120-130k annually.

Source: My wife who is a Walgreens Store Manager, Four close friends who are Walgreens Pharmacists (One of whom is a Pharmacy Manager, reccently promoted) and casual social interactions with my coworkers.

Source: My wife who is a Walgreens Store Manager, Four close friends who are Walgreens Pharmacists (One of whom is a Pharmacy Manager, reccently promoted) and casual social interactions with my coworkers.

I think she wants to know how much a Walgreen's Store Manager makes. I have been told they make anywhere from 50K to 90K depending on how busy the store is. Walgreen's Store Manager salary can get pretty high.

I wasn't referring to pharmacists or pharmacy managers. We all know what those pay ranges are.

OMG!!!!! I WOULD LOVE THAT!!!!!!!!!!! :love: I will PM you. I think I need to take it around the begining of May. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! It's a very very very hard exam...I posted 3 sample questions in the last page if you want to read them. :rolleyes: I hate those kinds of questions the MOST!

You're welcome.

Last edited:
:oops:
Oh, my mistake. Well, then sourcing my Wife, the pay varies based on Store income, market fluxuations.
My wife made about 60k in her first year as a store manager, but she was at an "non-established store" (Store that is too new to be making a profit)
Salary at an established store is signifigantly higher, putting it to about 80k

So yeah, I'd say that's a pretty fair range.

That is for the store manager though. Assistant managers make significantly less.

:oops:
Oh, my mistake. Well, then sourcing my Wife, the pay varies based on Store income, market fluxuations.
My wife made about 60k in her first year as a store manager, but she was at an "non-established store" (Store that is too new to be making a profit)
Salary at an established store is signifigantly higher, putting it to about 80k

So yeah, I'd say that's a pretty fair range.

That's what I thought! lol...so do you think it is smarter to become an store manager and make 80K a year with no student loans OR go into pharmacy school and come out and make 110K a year but have 200K+ in student loans?

that's the heated debate I was having with these pre-pharmers! :laugh:

That's what I thought! lol...so do you think it is smarter to become an store manager and make 80K a year with no student loans OR go into pharmacy school and come out and make 110K a year but have 200K+ in student loans?

that's the heated debate I was having with these pre-pharmers! :laugh:

If you get laid off after being a walgreens store manager and try to get a job, you don't have that many options.

With a PharmD, you have more options IMO

If you get laid off after being a walgreens store manager and try to get a job, you don't have that many options.

With a PharmD, you have more options IMO

Plus it's not like you can just walk into a Walgreens with a high school diploma and apply for a store manager position. You'd probably have to work your way up the food chain, unless you had previous experience. I'd wager that your typical Walgreens manager making 80-90K has probably spent substantially more time to get to that point than most spend getting their PharmD, although there are probably exceptions.

Plus it's not like you can just walk into a Walgreens with a high school diploma and apply for a store manager position. You'd probably have to work your way up the food chain, unless you had previous experience. I'd wager that your typical Walgreens manager making 80-90K has probably spent substantially more time to get to that point than most spend getting their PharmD, although there are probably exceptions.

Your logic will fall on deaf ears, but of course you're correct. You start at the bottom and spend a lot of years there. My husband is a manager at a well known company. He started there 15 years ago making $8.50 an hour. He put in his time and now makes a very good salary. But it wasn't easy or quick.

Your logic will fall on deaf ears, but of course you're correct. You start at the bottom and spend a lot of years there. My husband is a manager at a well known company. He started there 15 years ago making $8.50 an hour. He put in his time and now makes a very good salary. But it wasn't easy or quick.

It typically does :laugh:

I don't think you understand reality. You still live in a pre-recession pharmacy fantasy world.

So just because we don't understand what you say or don't agree with you means we don't know what the real world is like? :rolleyes:

Only $9/hr to be in charge of the place? :bullcrap:

There isn't just one manager, there's the store manager and then the 'shift managers'.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/McDonald-s-Shift-Manager-Hourly-Pay-E432_D_KO11,24.htm

She's a shift manager..

The average assistant manager is one rung up from that and earns about $28,000, but, that's salaried so they may work 60+ hours for that.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/McDonald-s-Assistant-Store-Manager-Salaries-E432_D_KO11,34.htm

The manager over the ENTIRE store earns an average of $36,000 per year. But, once again, that's salaried. Often they work 60+ hours for that.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/McDonald-s-Store-Manager-Salaries-E432_D_KO11,24.htm

You may have to join after you click the first couple pages. It's a site where people self report what they earn at their job title in a specific company.

Perhaps before calling :bullcrap:
You may want to do a quick Google search first..

They never told me how I failed it...I guess they just didn't like how I would do things...For example there is a question asking "what would you do if a customer ask you a question that is not in your field of speciality?"
a) tell them to ask your boss instead
b) find the person with that speciality to better assist that customer
c) ask them how you can help them.
d) ask them to come back later

I picked c) b/c I thought that is what they would want me to say...but I have no idea what is the best choice. Just like this question is always asked. "what would you do if you promise a customer you will find a answer for them in 20 minutes, but it is 10 minutes till noon and you have a meeting to go to at noon and you still do not have the answer to the question?"
a) go find the customer and tell the customer to come back later.
b)help the customer and be late to your meeting
c) go find the customer and tell them you will find the answer and get back with them ASAP
d) go find the customer and tell them you will call them back when you find the answer
I think I picked c)...again I have NO idea what is the best answer! :confused:
And there is a question that asked "you work with a coworker that is not very safe in performing his tasks. He seems to always do things in a dangerous way. And you overheard that your boss will be asking your coworker to train a new employee on safety procedures. What will you do?"
a) offer to train the new employee yourself
b)tell your boss that your coworker is very dangerous and don't let him train the new employee.
c) tell your boss that you want to train the new employee
d) tell your coworker that he is dangerous and offer to help him train the new employee

I think I picked a) and again I have NO idea what is the BEST answer!

Seriously the entire exam was full of these WERID ASS questions that I have NO idea what they want to hear. LOL...SO I just put down what I would do...and I failed it! :rolleyes: Next time I have to take an exam like this I will ask someone to help me with it! hahaha...
:laugh:

The correct answer to the first question is B. They expect you to hold the customers hand basically until you transfer them to another employee who can help them. If you were on the sales floor, you'd be expected to walk them to the right person, but, in all reality that doesn't happen anyways, but it's still the right answer.

The second one is 'iffy'. Generally, if you remember the customer is always first, then the answer would be to be late for the meeting. The better option would be find another employee to answer their question if that was an option, but, still lots of handholding.. lol

The third one I believe would be B. Generally, a dangerous employee can cost the company money in workers compensation claims, so they'd want you to rat him out asap especially if he was going to be training.

There isn't just one manager, there's the store manager and then the 'shift managers'.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/McDonald-s-Shift-Manager-Hourly-Pay-E432_D_KO11,24.htm

She's a shift manager..

The average assistant manager is one rung up from that and earns about $28,000, but, that's salaried so they may work 60+ hours for that.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/McDonald-s-Assistant-Store-Manager-Salaries-E432_D_KO11,34.htm

The manager over the ENTIRE store earns an average of $36,000 per year. But, once again, that's salaried. Often they work 60+ hours for that.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/McDonald-s-Store-Manager-Salaries-E432_D_KO11,24.htm

You may have to join after you click the first couple pages. It's a site where people self report what they earn at their job title in a specific company.

Perhaps before calling :bullcrap:
You may want to do a quick Google search first..

Shift manager isn't exactly what people have on their minds when you talk about managers.

The third one I believe would be B. Generally, a dangerous employee can cost the company money in workers compensation claims, so they'd want you to rat him out asap especially if he was going to be training.

:confused:

I agree actually. "Rat out" might not be the best term for it, but I get what she's saying.

SHC - seeing that those questions are hard for you explains a lot. You just have no real world experience in anything and I wouldn't want to hire you either, not because you aren't a really smart girl but because it would be a lot of work. And it's a catch 22 because you have to GET experience to HAVE experience, but no one wants to be the one that has to start at ground zero with you. To me those questions aren't hard and you don't want to tell them necessarily what they "want" to hear, you also have to be honest. you need someone who will take a chance with you because you really are starting from scratch. It wouldn't just be about training you on the computer, it would be a lot of training on basic work skills.

Excellent example of why people should work in HS and college. You might not think flipping burgers after school has and practical application in life but this is exactly why it does. Sheltering your kid so they can focus on schoolwork can really bite them in the ass later.

SHC - seeing that those questions are hard for you explains a lot. You just have no real world experience in anything and I wouldn't want to hire you either, not because you aren't a really smart girl but because it would be a lot of work. And it's a catch 22 because you have to GET experience to HAVE experience, but no one wants to be the one that has to start at ground zero with you. To me those questions aren't hard and you don't want to tell them necessarily what they "want" to hear, you also have to be honest. you need someone who will take a chance with you because you really are starting from scratch. It wouldn't just be about training you on the computer, it would be a lot of training on basic work skills.

Excellent example of why people should work in HS and college. You might not think flipping burgers after school has and practical application in life but this is exactly why it does. Sheltering your kid so they can focus on schoolwork can really bite them in the ass later.

EPIC word to your entire post. That's why I think that it SHOULD BE imperative that people have some degree of work experience prior to pharmacy school. I couldn't imagine what it would be like if my first "work experience" was as a pharmacy intern. Honestly, I would expect that it would be insanely tough to find a company that would be patient enough to deal with a total newbie.

EPIC word to your entire post. That's why I think that it SHOULD BE imperative that people have some degree of work experience prior to pharmacy school. I couldn't imagine what it would be like if my first "work experience" was as a pharmacy intern. Honestly, I would expect that it would be insanely tough to find a company that would be patient enough to deal with a total newbie.

People who have never really worked before are THE WORST to be on rotation with. It sucks. They don't know how to do anything. No life skills.

I don't get how people get to pharmacy school without working. During HS I didn't work a "regular job" because I had practice or meets 4 to 5 days per week but on off days I was a tutor/proctor for math ESS and worked a few nights a week as a private tutor. Plus babysitting almost every weekend. My first job in college was working for the development office calling alumni and asking them to donate to the annual campaign. I also worked at a clothing store and then moved on to a large department store where I worked on commission. When my hours got cut I picked up a job as a lunchtime hostess at a downtown restaurant. I had to be there at 10 AM every day, and would work my shift and then go work 5 or 6 hours at the department store and close the store down at 9 or 10PM. Senior year I got a job at a hotel where I mostly waited tables in the restaurant but would also pick up shifts as a banquet server/bartender. I worked almost every holiday driving the airport shuttle because the tips were good. My first job post BA was at a private social service agency. Although it required a degree it paid about $8/hour so I supplemented it by telemarketing for DialAmerica. When I went back to graduate school I was a GTA for 20 hours per (stipend = $1000/month) and had a 20 hour/week internship. The internship was unpaid but I did get to go on a free service learning trip to Belize. All that was in addition to a full time graduate school course load.

It wasn't always fun but I managed to do it and graduate Magna Cum Laude with my BA and highest honors with my MA. Plus have a pretty good social life. Looking back now, I guess I just did what I had to do, because my parents stopped supporting me when I was 19. They sent me money through my first year of college but didn't after that. So it's not like I had the choice to not work. :shrug:

People who have never really worked before are THE WORST to be on rotation with. It sucks. They don't know how to do anything. No life skills.

I don't get how people get to pharmacy school without working. During HS I didn't work a "regular job" because I had practice or meets 4 to 5 days per week but on off days I was a tutor/proctor for math ESS and worked a few nights a week as a private tutor. Plus babysitting almost every weekend. My first job in college was working for the development office calling alumni and asking them to donate to the annual campaign. I also worked at a clothing store and then moved on to a large department store where I worked on commission. When my hours got cut I picked up a job as a lunchtime hostess at a downtown restaurant. I had to be there at 10 AM every day, and would work my shift and then go work 5 or 6 hours at the department store and close the store down at 9 or 10PM. Senior year I got a job at a hotel where I mostly waited tables in the restaurant but would also pick up shifts as a banquet server/bartender. I worked almost every holiday driving the airport shuttle because the tips were good. My first job post BA was at a private social service agency. Although it required a degree it paid about $8/hour so I supplemented it by telemarketing for DialAmerica. When I went back to graduate school I was a GTA for 20 hours per (stipend = $1000/month) and had a 20 hour/week internship. The internship was unpaid but I did get to go on a free service learning trip to Belize. All that was in addition to a full time graduate school course load.

It wasn't always fun but I managed to do it and graduate Magna Cum Laude with my BA and highest honors with my MA. Plus have a pretty good social life. Looking back now, I guess I just did what I had to do, because my parents stopped supporting me when I was 19. They sent me money through my first year of college but didn't after that. So it's not like I had the choice to not work. :shrug:

QFT. I worked throughout my HS and undergrad. I am currently working part-full time waiter. Although a lot of people might think being a waiter might not have anything to do with pharmacy, I think it's essential to have some experience in dealing with the public / customers. Actually, I think that my work experience helped me a lot in my pharmacy school interview. Without it, I probably wouldn't be here right now.

@SHC I'm sorry you failed the test. I hope you can get your job.

wait, people actually fail those things? :confused:

It's somewhat ironic that current pharmacy students who are complaining about the demise of the profession are those who potentially received their spots in their current program because of the increased number of pharmacy schools and subsequent diluting of the applicant/acceptance pool.

In a sense, YOUR acceptance to the program and YOUR choice to attend pharmacy school has contributed to the excess number of pharmacy students and consequently, the number of pharmacy graduates. Therefore, it's a bit hollow to "scare" new applicants from applying to the profession when your acceptance and subsequent choice of attending pharmacy school is contributing to the deluge of new graduates.

Furthermore, this discussion is not new (the saturation of the industry), so let me pose the question ... Why did you choose to attend pharmacy school when this issue has been present for the past 5 years? It did not arise overnight and you should have been aware of the influx of applicants and subsequent graduates when you applied to the program.

Therefore, once pandora's box has been opened, it's rather trite to close the door to new applicants. The door has been opened, it's important to accept that having a degree won't entitle you to a guaranteed 100K job post-graduation. Pharmacy school is becoming akin to law school and instead of fighting a battle that you may not win, how about control what you can regarding your degree, i.e., get better grades, perform novel internships, pursue a residency, and make yourself the best graduate that you can instead of trying to hinder people from pursuing the career that you chose to pursue.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: THANK YOU!!!

I know a truck driver and I love how people in here only looks at the positives of truck driving, just like what others do for pharmacy and are called naive. Professional health schools will always fill their seats so we should encourage everyone and their grandmother to do pharmacy in order to ramp up the competitiveness to prevent all these sub 3.0 bone headed people from getting in.

:( I got in with a 2.5, i feel like a bone head... :(

You are a hero! I only managed passing grades while working as a cook/cashier at a local wing restaurant... much less graduating Magna Cum Laude while working!!!

Now just you wait one second. I can't @#$% measure with my top ten school, but you're allowed to flaunt your Magna Cum Laude? Unfair! :smuggrin:

wait, people actually fail those things? :confused:

Yep and I didn't even think that exam was important when I was taking it! LOL...I had no idea they use it to weed people out.

@SHC I'm sorry you failed the test. I hope you can get your job.

Thanks, I'll get another shot at it in May...I HOPE I get the job b/c I prefer staying in Atlanta over the summer.

OMG that sounds like a crazy schedule...yeah...I definetly can't do that b/c I value sleep! :laugh:

I like my sleep as much as anyone. But you've got to do what you've got to do when you have to support yourself.

I am just wondering and this is for anyone that is going to college....if you didn't want to work and your parents aren't helping you etc. Can you always choose not to work and just take out loans for your living expenses? People always say they HAVE TO WORK, but they can always choose to take out loans instead right? I am just wondering about that. My undergrad was very cheap (like 4K a year) that's why money wasn't a big issue for me. If I went to a private school that cost 40K a year I would have had a lot of money problems too.

I am just wondering and this is for anyone that is going to college....if you didn't want to work and your parents aren't helping you etc. Can you always choose not to work and just take out loans for your living expenses? People always say they HAVE TO WORK, but they can always choose to take out loans instead right? I am just wondering about that. My undergrad was very cheap (like 4K a year) that's why money wasn't a big issue for me. If I went to a private school that cost 40K a year I would have had a lot of money problems too.

I went to undergraduate for free on a full scholarship. I had a housing stipend too but it wasn't enough to live on. I suppose I could have taken out loans, but I didn't. I just worked. Most of my friends had jobs too. Graduate school was free too. I took out a very small loan during my master's program because the stipend wasn't enough to live on. But I paid it back within a year of graduation. I was younger then, with much lower living expenses. I think it would have been foolish to borrow money just because I "didn't want to work." It's a bit different in pharmacy school because the tuition is so much more and it's harder to put in a lot of hours at work. Plus my living expenses are much higher now.

I went to undergraduate for free on a full scholarship. I had a housing stipend too but it wasn't enough to live on. I suppose I could have taken out loans, but I didn't. I just worked. Most of my friends had jobs too. Graduate school was free too. I took out a very small loan during my master's program because the stipend wasn't enough to live on. But I paid it back within a year of graduation. I was younger then, with much lower living expenses. I think it would have been foolish to borrow money just because I "didn't want to work." It's a bit different in pharmacy school because the tuition is so much more and it's harder to put in a lot of hours at work. Plus my living expenses are much higher now.

That's odd. MS in the sciences? Usually they won't let you work b/c they want you to focus on your research. Maybe that's specifically for PhD candidates though.

That's odd. MS in the sciences? Usually they won't let you work b/c they want you to focus on your research. Maybe that's specifically for PhD candidates though.

Eh? What's odd? I never said I got an MS in the sciences, or did research or anything like that. :confused: