My advice to pre-pharmers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And as I said, you can't expect everything to be handed to you in a silver platter, therefore you don't have to be a pharmacist, work hard towards something else. The day is young. Anyways, I know there may be a lot of schools /graduates, but it's up to us grads to become more competitive and look for jobs (hunt for them!). There are many opportunities /jobs you can do with your PharmD!

I do not understand why people said age isn't a factor. AGE IS A FACTOR. People are the most desireable to employers, future spouses, and almost everything and everyone else at a prime age and that age is usually around 20 to 25. People at that age range are the most desireable to employers (most people don't want to hire an old grandma) and that age range is the most desireable for dating (most people, men especially, do not want to date old women). Sounds harsh but it's the way it is. I prefer not graduating or finishing school at an age that's pass 30. By 30 I should be at a point in my life where I am completely secured. I shouldn't still be living like a teenager (broke and jobless) at that age.

I am almost done with pharmacy school...and trust me if I can't land a job that I want I will do something else. However, I am also aware that since I will be 29 by then my options will be limited to someone of that age range. A lot of the careers that I wanted to do before would not be an option anymore or will be much harder to obtain...but I will still try to get it. Trust me on that one, but if I can land a job like a work at home mail order job I will take that too b/c honestly working at home for 100K a year ain't too bad to me! :laugh: But yeah, don't you worry if I can't get a job as a pharmacist, I will do something else and most likely something else much more interesting if my age allows me to do it.

Okay, DEFINE "hunting for a job" for me. What do you mean by hunting for a job? The only thing a person can do is 1) go online and 2) apply for a job and 3) wait for the person in charge to call you. That is ALL that you can do and if they don't call you, will then you are SOL. What do you mean by hunt for a job? The only thing you can do is apply for one and hope that you get interviewed. UNLESS of course you have personal connections and in that case you will get the job for sure. But if you don't then there really isn't much you can do beside wait and hope the jobs that you applied for will get back with you.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I looked into dentistry but its hard for me to deal with bad breath and blood and gums and nasty looking teeth. PA doesn't pay well at all and if you want to talk about saturation, everyone and their mother is trying to be a PA because it is only 2 years. At least with pharm you weed out a lot of people because its 4 years. Optometry I think has already been debunked here as anything better.

The only other medical profession I looked into was AA (Anesthesiologist Assistant). You'd love it. There are only a few schools open, 2 years of graduate work, and its a new profession so its not saturated at all. You'll quickly find though, from what I've read, that despite all of that it is hard to find employment with that because it is so new and because they basically do what CRNA's do.

You're insane if you think that pharm was going to be a cake walk. Its a job like any other where you'll be competing with other candidates. Welcome to the real world! On top of that the economy is bad now and its not going to be bad forever. Baby boomers will be retiring soon and they are going to need their meds more than anyone. I see the job prospects of pharms as being excellent as can be for those reasons. The economy will get better and with that means expansion and more jobs. More old people = more demand for pharms. That automation bs.....there is no way, unless they get the T-1000, that a computer can take the place of a human in terms of advising old people how to take their meds. Not gonna happen.

So yeah I've looked at other careers in the health field and found that pharm is as good as any other and probably better in some cases. AA, the other one I looked at, is unsaturated, less schooling but because of those reasons harder to get a job in I think.

Have you ever consider becoming a CRNA? They make more than a Pharmacist. I didn't want to do it b/c I don't like watching or being involved in surgery. Or do I like sticking someone with a needle. LOL...

I didn't know that a PA makes bad salary...I thought they start out with 90K?

I picked pharmacy b/c I thought the job will be very secured and that there is a huge demand for it. When I applied for pharmacy school in 2008 pharmacy wasn't that saturated, but things have changes NOW.

The economy isn't what worries me. What worries me the MOST is the amount of schools that are being OPENED and the NUMBER of graduates being pumped out every year now. Even if the economy gets better how would that DECREASE the number of graduates being pumped out or already pumped out?

Also do you think the retail chains will start expanding again? It seems to me that they are already done with expanding...I already see a Walgreens and CVS etc. on every corner so I do not see how it is possible for them to expand anymore than they already have! if you know what I mean...do you think they will expand more?

I am worry about pharmacy b/c of the number of graduates being pumped out and the retail chains lack of expansion.

If you think there is a way to get the number of graduates to DECREASE and the retail chains to expand like they did before then that is the only way pharmacy can be in demand again...OTHERWISE...I really do not see how pharmacy can be in demand.

Okay, DEFINE "hunting for a job" for me. What do you mean by hunting for a job? The only thing a person can do is 1) go online and 2) apply for a job and 3) wait for the person in charge to call you. That is ALL that you can do and if they don't call you, will then you are SOL. What do you mean by hunt for a job? The only thing you can do is apply for one and hope that you get interviewed. UNLESS of course you have personal connections and in that case you will get the job for sure. But if you don't then there really isn't much you can do beside wait and hope the jobs that you applied for will get back with you.

Sitting around and waiting for the person in charge to call you back isn't always a good plan. What if the manager is too busy and needs to be reminded? What if he/she runs into someone during the day who shows up in person and asks for the job and gets it?

Sometimes you have to be willing to pursue it further and remind the manager's office to have the boss call you back. If the boss is busy, you're probably not gonna get a call back. Even if the boss isn't busy, he/she will be looking for things to do while at work, and if calling you back isn't on his/her mind, you won't get a call back.

Also, you have to make yourself available and be willing to work the hours they assign you. If you start off listing times when you refuse to work (just because you personally don't want to), you're gonna seem unavailable and maybe unreliable. If you're willing to work with the boss and help out to work whenever they need you, I think you would be more likely to get work hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then I suppose gas for $4/gallon doesn't come off as a shocker to you? People raised hell on Bush when gas hit $3/gallon.

Pharmacy is one of those careers where you don't have to retire at 65 if you don't want to. My medicine preceptor (a hospital pharmacist) is in his 60's, and he doesn't ever plan on retiring. That's kind of mean when you say that "they've gotta go sooner or later." What do you expect him to do? Kick the bucket? He's very intelligent and has a sharp mind. He loves what he does, and that's why he doesn't ever plan on retiring. There are pharmacists who are in their 80's who are still working. In fact, I met one of them when I had a rotation at Costco pharmacy.

$4 gas isn't the least bit shocking. It's happened before, it'll happen again. I sure didn't raise hell on Bush for gasoline prices either. People act like the president is all-powerful or something. People blamed Bush for everything, whether he realistically could have done anything about it or not, and now they do the same thing to Obama. I'm actually not even sure what your point is. I said that gas prices are a poor indicator of the status of our economy and you bring up Bush :confused:

The vast majority of people in any professional career plan to retire eventually. Just because pharmacists can work until they die doesn't mean that they want to, and the fact that you know a pharmacist or two that will work until they are physically unable doesn't mean that's what most of them plan on doing.

Sitting around and waiting for the person in charge to call you back isn't always a good plan. What if the manager is too busy and needs to be reminded? What if he/she runs into someone during the day who shows up in person and asks for the job and gets it?

Sometimes you have to be willing to pursue it further and remind the manager's office to have the boss call you back. If the boss is busy, you're probably not gonna get a call back. Even if the boss isn't busy, he/she will be looking for things to do while at work, and if calling you back isn't on his/her mind, you won't get a call back.

Also, you have to make yourself available and be willing to work the hours they assign you. If you start off listing times when you refuse to work (just because you personally don't want to), you're gonna seem unavailable and maybe unreliable. If you're willing to work with the boss and help out to work whenever they need you, I think you would be more likely to get work hours.

WORD!

SHC, I genuinely appreciate your forthright nature in your posts. I know that it's probably less than amusing to come on here given the nature of the discussions. Having said that, your attitude with regards to finding a job is coming across as extremely lazy and entitled. Given the economy, you MUST to apply to tons of jobs, make FREQUENT phone calls and try to establish "connections" yourself. There aren't jobs available for the lazy and meek. You need to take initiative to find a job. It seems like, given your background, that you don't have to work and therefore, the impetus isn't there for you to scrap and find a job.

I WISH that I could be in a position where I could be lackadaisical with respect to finding a job. I sincerely hope that you find what you want with a career, but I'm doubtful that you actually want to work. As someone who grew up po' with a family who had to struggle to get anything, it blows my mind to see one's lack of drive and ambition with regards to employment. It's your friggin' career, why did you go to school in the first place if you don't want to work? I want to work and while my job crushes my soul occasionally, I still am glad that I went to school and my hard work is paying off. *shrug*

I've never ever, EVER, gotten a job this way, and i've held close to 15 different jobs since i turned 14 and could legally work. I ALWAYS had to go visit the place in person and have a conversation in person with the manager or hiring manager. Getting that personal connection formed is the most key first step to getting hired. Then when you call them back (however many times is needed, sometimes I had to call back 3-5x times per week over the course of several months , to get hired at the hospital i currently work for), they can put a name to a face and recognize that you're a dedicated , hard working person, and then hire you.

If you just fill out a form and wait.. that doesnt look very good to a hiring manager.

I've never ever, EVER, gotten a job this way, and i've held close to 15 different jobs since i turned 14 and could legally work. I ALWAYS had to go visit the place in person and have a conversation in person with the manager or hiring manager. Getting that personal connection formed is the most key first step to getting hired. Then when you call them back (however many times is needed, sometimes I had to call back 3-5x times per week over the course of several months , to get hired at the hospital i currently work for), they can put a name to a face and recognize that you're a dedicated , hard working person, and then hire you.

If you just fill out a form and wait.. that doesnt look very good to a hiring manager.

I pretty much gained jobs the same way you have, but there was this one occasion where I just applied online, was called for an interview, and was accepted the job. It was a pretty nice ego boost to see that, on paper, I was what they were looking for.

This is what I did to try to get a intern position. I applied to Costco, CVS, Target, Walgreens, Kroger, Rite Aid and some hospitials.

I called all of them and ask if they were hiring. The answer was always either 1) look online and apply we will call you if we need you! or 2) we aren't hiring right now, but you are welcome to apply. or 3) we are hiring ONE person, but we got a TON of applications for this position. You are welcome to apply online. or 4) Sorry we aren't hiring right now.

3) VERY VERY VERY VERY RARELY happens!!! I usually hear number 2) or 4). 2) and 4) is the most common and if you call that's what you will usually hear. I know, I do call, trust me!

I call and apply to many many many jobs. I believe I listed all the retail chains ^. I also called Cardinal Nuclear pharmacy, they aren't hiring. I went and looked at the place and talked to the manager...he told me he isn't hiring right now and if he does hire it would be in the Fall and he will be looking for a P1 not a P3. :rolleyes:

A hosptial I called told me if I was a P1 they would hire me...but since I will be a P3 soon, they don't want to hire someone that is about to leave for rotations. :rolleyes:

I called a compounding pharmacy and they told me they are not hiring. I called MANY MANY MANY PLACES...90% of the time they will flat out tell me they aren't hiring. So what else can I do if they do that? If someone says No, sorry we aren't hiring. What can I do about that?

When a place do hire they always get a million applications and they will be like yes we are hiring one person, we will call you for an interview if we think you are a good fit. And then they never call me back. What can I do about that?

It's not that I am lazy, it's just that MOST PLACES always say, THEY ARE NOT HIRING. What can I do about that?

It's not that I am lazy, it's just that MOST PLACES always say, THEY ARE NOT HIRING. What can I do about that?

1. Ask students from school about pharmacies and positions
  2. Ask managers if they know about anyone else hiring in that area even after they have said they aren't hiring
  3. Look at cities other than Atlanta
  4. Ask professors and pharmacists at school
  5. Keep your options open and ask chains, independents, inpatient, outpatient, compounding, research, etc.

You can always ask if you can at least work part-time and not necessarily full-time.

Also, you can ask for their business card and offer to leave your resume with them, so they'll have a contact person if a spot opens up. If you leave them with nothing, and they want to hire someone later, they'll be like
-"who's that girl who came in about a month ago?"
--"I dunno. She didn't leave her name or number"

Then they'll try to hire someone else.

This is what I did to try to get a intern position. I applied to Costco, CVS, Target, Walgreens, Kroger, Rite Aid and some hospitials.

I called all of them and ask if they were hiring. The answer was always either 1) look online and apply we will call you if we need you! or 2) we aren't hiring right now, but you are welcome to apply. or 3) we are hiring ONE person, but we got a TON of applications for this position. You are welcome to apply online. or 4) Sorry we aren't hiring right now.

3) VERY VERY VERY VERY RARELY happens!!! I usually hear number 2) or 4). 2) and 4) is the most common and if you call that's what you will usually hear. I know, I do call, trust me!

I call and apply to many many many jobs. I believe I listed all the retail chains ^. I also called Cardinal Nuclear pharmacy, they aren't hiring. I went and looked at the place and talked to the manager...he told me he isn't hiring right now and if he does hire it would be in the Fall and he will be looking for a P1 not a P3. :rolleyes:

A hosptial I called told me if I was a P1 they would hire me...but since I will be a P3 soon, they don't want to hire someone that is about to leave for rotations. :rolleyes:

I called a compounding pharmacy and they told me they are not hiring. I called MANY MANY MANY PLACES...90% of the time they will flat out tell me they aren't hiring. So what else can I do if they do that? If someone says No, sorry we aren't hiring. What can I do about that?

When a place do hire they always get a million applications and they will be like yes we are hiring one person, we will call you for an interview if we think you are a good fit. And then they never call me back. What can I do about that?

sounds like you waited until too late in the game

1. Ask students from school about pharmacies and positions
  2. Ask managers if they know about anyone else hiring in that area even after they have said they aren't hiring
  3. Look at cities other than Atlanta
  4. Ask professors and pharmacists at school
  5. Keep your options open and ask chains, independents, inpatient, outpatient, compounding, research, etc.
You can always ask if you can at least work part-time and not necessarily full-time.

Also, you can ask for their business card and offer to leave your resume with them, so they'll have a contact person if a spot opens up. If you leave them with nothing, and they want to hire someone later, they'll be like
-"who's that girl who came in about a month ago?"
--"I dunno. She didn't leave her name or number"

Then they'll try to hire someone else.

I left my resume with Kroger. The manager there told me he will know by the end of April is if he hiring or not...he has two full time student right now applying for residenices...if they go off to their residencies then spots will open up and he can hire...if they don't leave then he cannot hired.

I do that too! I have done EVERYTHING that you all have done!!! TRUST ME, I work just as hard as everyone else in finding a job. I applied everywhere and called everyone.

All I am saying is that there is nothing anyone can do about it if the company is NOT hiring. (which is what usually happens...you can call 1000 stores and 99% of them will tell you "sorry we aren't hiring right now!":rolleyes:)

And if they are hiring they will get 1000000000+ applications. And there is NOTHING you can do about it if they don't call you up for an interview!!! You can call and they will tell you, okay Bob, we got your application we will call you if we need you. That is all that you can do. It's THEIR choice to call you or not. There really isn't anything you can do to "FORCE" them to call you in for an interview.

sounds like you waited until too late in the game

I got lucky that I have an uncle that knows people. He knows someone that works for Walmart and Rite Aid.

I got the job at Walmart bc of him BUT I failed the self-assement part of the job application. :oops: I don't know how I did that. LOL... But he told me he will try his best to hold my position for me until I can reapply again in May. So I am going to reapply again in May. Hopfully the job is still there in May!!! He guarantee me 500 hrs during the summer so I will get all my hours done!

He also knows someone from Rite Aid. I got the job there for the summer too b/c of him. But unfortunately Rite Aid only offers 350 hrs for the summer which is NOT enough for me...I need 500 hours...but I will take the job b/c it's better than nothing for right now...but I am still hopeing that Walmart can hire me for the summer time.

Bascially ALL I am saying is that:
1)you can "hunt" all you want...but if the company isn't hiring, they aren't hiring sorry. And 2) if they are hiring they will be swamped with applications and if they don't call you for an interview then again there is NOTHING you can do about it. 3) Unless you have personal connections, you are pretty much screwed. THere really is nothing you can do to get someone to hire you if they aren't hiring. There is nothing you can do to get someone to interview you...if there is a million applications your chances are slim to none. It has nothing to do with laziness. It's just that there are no one hiring.

Trust me, I tried! Harder than most of you!

I got lucky that I have an uncle that knows people. He knows someone that works for Walmart and Rite Aid.

I got the job at Walmart bc of him BUT I failed the self-assement part of the job application. :oops: I don't know how I did that. LOL... But he told me he will try his best to hold my position for me until I can reapply again in May. So I am going to reapply again in May. Hopfully the job is still there in May!!! He guarantee me 500 hrs during the summer so I will get all my hours done!

He also knows someone from Rite Aid. I got the job there for the summer too b/c of him. But unfortunately Rite Aid only offers 350 hrs for the summer which is NOT enough for me...I need 500 hours...but I will take the job b/c it's better than nothing for right now...but I am still hopeing that Walmart can hire me for the summer time.

Bascially ALL I am saying is that:
1)you can "hunt" all you want...but if the company isn't hiring, they aren't hiring sorry. And 2) if they are hiring they will be swamped with applications and if they don't call you for an interview then again there is NOTHING you can do about it. 3) Unless you have personal connections, you are pretty much screwed. THere really is nothing you can do to get someone to hire you if they aren't hiring. There is nothing you can do to get someone to interview you...if there is a million applications your chances are slim to none. It has nothing to do with laziness. It's just that there are no one hiring.

Let's not play this game.

Members don't see this ad :)

Let's not play this game.

I have to agree. Especially since a lot of us on here oh... I don't know... HAVE JOBS?

I've been working for the better part of two decades and have applied to and obtained many jobs and hired (and fired) a number of individuals. Looking through your story I can pinpoint a number of instances where the choice you made was not the best and probably hurt your chances of securing a job. But you've never shown any inclination to accept constructive criticism so I'll just save my breath.

I tend to have a hard time siding with a person who says the golden years of getting hired are 20-25, considering how things are today, but that is just me.

I tend to have a hard time siding with a person who says the golden years of getting hired are 20-25, considering how things are today, but that is just me.

Yeah, that's crap. I'd hire an older, more mature, more experienced individual over a college-aged kid anytime. But that same person thinks that you are old if you are over 30. And look at celebrities - that MUST be true! I mean, all you have to do is check out all of those old, ugly, over- the-hill hags in Hollywood, like Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Anniston, Jennifer Lopez, Jennifer Garner, Reese Witherspoon and Julie Roberts. They are practically GRANNIES. No man would EVER want them. :rolleyes:

I have to agree. Especially since a lot of us on here oh... I don't know... HAVE JOBS?

I've been working for the better part of two decades and have applied to and obtained many jobs and hired (and fired) a number of individuals. Looking through your story I can pinpoint a number of instances where the choice you made was not the best and probably hurt your chances of securing a job. But you've never shown any inclination to accept constructive criticism so I'll just save my breath.

PLEASE tell me what I can do or what I did WRONG in this process. I have called and called and called and called and called every single place. They either say "sorry we aren't hiring" or "yes we are hiring, we got tons of applications, if you like you can apply and we will call you if we think you are a good fit." That was the responses so far...but I would say 90% have told me they aren't hiring.

I have TOURED places like the Nuclear pharmacy that I really wanted to work at. They told me they are not hiring and if they were they are looking for a P1 not a P3. What can I do about that?

I have applied to many many many places and have called and called and called and called and called many many places. PLEASE tell me what else I can do? I have done everything I can...what else can I do? Get on my knees and beg? :laugh:

PLEASE tell me what I can do or what I did WRONG in this process. I have called and called and called and called and called every single place. They either say "sorry we aren't hiring" or "yes we are hiring, we got tons of applications, if you like you can apply and we will call you if we think you are a good fit." That was the responses so far...but I would say 90% have told me they aren't hiring.

I have TOURED places like the Nuclear pharmacy that I really wanted to work at. They told me they are not hiring and if they were they are looking for a P1 not a P3. What can I do about that?

I have applied to many many many places and have called and called and called and called and called many many places. PLEASE tell me what else I can do? I have done everything I can...what else can I do? Get on my knees and beg? :laugh:

In addition to calling or instead of calling, you could go talk to them in person so they might be able to take time to explain things to you.

Anyone can just call. Well, maybe not just anyone, but you know what I mean. It takes a certain type of person to actually make the effort to dress at least appropriately and go talk to them in an acceptable manner.

I left my resume with Kroger. The manager there told me he will know by the end of April is if he hiring or not...he has two full time student right now applying for residenices...if they go off to their residencies then spots will open up and he can hire...if they don't leave then he cannot hired.

I do that too! I have done EVERYTHING that you all have done!!! TRUST ME, I work just as hard as everyone else in finding a job. I applied everywhere and called everyone.

All I am saying is that there is nothing anyone can do about it if the company is NOT hiring. (which is what usually happens...you can call 1000 stores and 99% of them will tell you "sorry we aren't hiring right now!":rolleyes:)

And if they are hiring they will get 1000000000+ applications. And there is NOTHING you can do about it if they don't call you up for an interview!!! You can call and they will tell you, okay Bob, we got your application we will call you if we need you. That is all that you can do. It's THEIR choice to call you or not. There really isn't anything you can do to "FORCE" them to call you in for an interview.

The hyperbole. It hurts.

The hyperbole. It hurts.

Only 1% of stores are hiring!

Every open position gets 1,000,000,000 applicants! A billion! It's true.

I saw two of my classmates for the first time in months yesterday. They just signed with Walgreens. How fortunate they are to have bested 999,999,999 other applicants for those jobs! Pretty incredible, if you ask me!

Only 1% of stores are hiring!

Every open position gets 1,000,000,000 applicants! A billion! It's true.

I saw two of my classmates for the first time in months yesterday. They just signed with Walgreens. How fortunate they are to have bested 999,999,999 other applicants for those jobs! Pretty incredible, if you ask me!

I heart A4MD. LOL

I think that the job market is separating people who are taking initiative versus people are entitled/expecting things to happen for them. Connections are important, but you can make your own connections by being personable, having social skills and perhaps most importantly, competent.

I think that the job market is separating people who are taking initiative versus people are entitled/expecting things to happen for them. Connections are important, but you can make your own connections by being personable, having social skills and perhaps most importantly, competent.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I got the job at Walmart bc of him BUT I failed the self-assement part of the job application. :oops: I don't know how I did that.
I think this is the crux of the problem here. Figure out why you failed this.

I heart A4MD. LOL

I also think that fortune favors the prepared and those who know how to market themselves and what they can offer a company. Who is the most attractive candidate?

1) "I want this job because I need to get my intern hours this summer."

2) "I'm really interested in learning more about Big Rx's pharmacy operation and exploring how I might fit into the company long term. I would like to work full time during the summer but could probably help fill in with some weekend and holiday shifts during the school year if I'm needed."

I think this is the crux of the problem here. Figure out why you failed this.

I've seen this assessment before. It awards points for flexibility (shifts you are willing to work, including weekends, evenings, etc) and then goes into a lot of behavioral questions. Like how you'd handle an irate customer. Would you take responsibility and ownership of the issue even if it wasn't your fault? How would you handle a disagreement with coworkers? Stuff like that.

I also think that fortune favors the prepared and those who know how to market themselves and what they can offer a company. Who is the most attractive candidate?

1) "I want this job because I need to get my intern hours this summer."

2) "I'm really interested in learning more about Big Rx's pharmacy operation and exploring how I might fit into the company long term. I would like to work full time during the summer but could probably help fill in with some weekend and holiday shifts during the school year if I'm needed."

Thank you A4MD. I needed somewhat of a template on how I should approach a very powerful and influential person about internship opportunities.

I got the job at Walmart bc of him BUT I failed the self-assement part of the job application. :oops: I don't know how I did that. LOL...

Haha! You failed the personality test?

I'll give you a hint for when you retake it, they want STRONG responses, not middle of the road responses.
If you pick too many somewhat agree or somewhat disagree answers then you fail.
There are a couple questions relating to theft and illegal drug use. If you answer those wrong you also automatically fail.
There's a couple questions asking something like whether or not you think someone should be fired for stealing a soda or piece of candy or smoking marijuana once. They want the answer to be a strong yes. They want ruthlessly judgmental for anything that could affect their bottomline.
However, if you answer ALL the questions the way they want then you also fail because they assume you were lying on the test.
For instance, they have a question asking if you are usually on time for work or class. For that, you want a strong yes. Then there's another one asking if you have NEVER been late for a class or work. Obviously, if you answer that yes then they assume you lied on the test.

The funny thing is, the stocker job there gets about 2000 applicants per month for a $7.25 an hour job. If your lucky enough to be one of the 10 they pick to interview you can still fail the personality test and not get the job even if you're otherwise an ideal candidate. They don't go through each application comparing your skills. Sometimes the personnel manager just picks the first letter of a last name, pulls ten applications and then they pick three to interview. The only way to nearly guarantee an interview is to
1) Apply first before going in, generally about 24 hours before going in so that the application is definitely in the system.
2) Wander around for a bit, try to find the head honcho. Usually he's the one dressed up and wearing a loud clattering ring of keys. Watch for him to be doing nothing and then approach and strike up a conversation. You have about 10 seconds before he realizes your a job seeker and not a customer and gets rude. You should have about 5 sentences prepared that will make the manager want to hire you. Now, let the manager now you already applied and he can pull up your app in the system under your name, already have your name written down clearly along with what your applying for and hand the note over.

^ That is how you get a regular job at Walmart at minimum wage. It's a lot of legwork and you actually have to be a bit savvy about what your doing. Most companies now have those blasted personality tests and they will turn away an otherwise awesome candidate if you don't fit the ideal personality they're looking for.

Obviously, applying for the pharmacy is a different animal. You apply online, wait 24 hours, but then you just watch for the pharmacy to not be busy and talk to the pharmacist. Keep it brief though because they run their pharmacists ragged, he doesn't have much time.

The chances of your application being selected for an interview are slim to none unless you actually walk in after applying and give them a good reason to look up your application. But, yes, wait 24 hours after applying because retail computer systems are often ancient and decrepit and it may take that long for your application to be on file.

I drove a friend of mine to Wal*Mart after he was invited to interview for a stocking position after applying the day before and he started the following week. It is not hard to get a job at walmart at all. Their turnover is unparalleled. Everytime I see a walmart employee the last thing I'm thinking is this person is the best of 2,000.

Also the starting pay for a stocker is 10.25 (overnight). Where the heck do you live that is barely over 7 bucks? I was told their overnight differential is only 1.50.

I know you've tried everything, and I understand your frustration. According to this map, it appears that Georgia is completely saturated, and the demand doesn't exist anymore.

http://www.pharmacymanpower.com/state.html

Have you thought about looking for a job out-of-state? Texas, Wisconsin, and Maine are still hiring.

I know you've tried everything, and I understand your frustration. According to this map, it appears that Georgia is completely saturated, and the demand doesn't exist anymore.

http://www.pharmacymanpower.com/state.html

Have you thought about looking for a job out-of-state? Texas, Wisconsin, and Maine are still hiring.

I don't think you understand how to use or read that map.

I was hoping with Somatic departing, so would rxstudent13.

I drove a friend of mine to Wal*Mart after he was invited to interview for a stocking position after applying the day before and he started the following week. It is not hard to get a job at walmart at all. Their turnover is unparalleled. Everytime I see a walmart employee the last thing I'm thinking is this person is the best of 2,000.

You misunderstood my post. 2000 apply for one opening at my local Walmart. 10 applications are selected at RANDOM. Then you just have to compete against those 10. They don't read every application. The ten they pick may all completely suck and then they might grab enough 5 applications at random out of the system. What is difficult about getting hired is the likelihood that yours will be selected for review.

Have you ever consider becoming a CRNA? They make more than a Pharmacist. I didn't want to do it b/c I don't like watching or being involved in surgery. Or do I like sticking someone with a needle. LOL...

Yeah but to be a CRNA you have to be a nurse and call me old school but I can't be a male nurse. :cool:

The economy isn't what worries me. What worries me the MOST is the amount of schools that are being OPENED and the NUMBER of graduates being pumped out every year now. Even if the economy gets better how would that DECREASE the number of graduates being pumped out or already pumped out?

Im not worried about that you know why? Cuz its friggin hard. Anyone can get into law school as long as you get a good LSAT which is based on a lot of reading comprehension and logic. To get into pharm you gotta do well in math and science courses. While it might've been easy for you cuz your smart...for big dummies like me its a grind and I think that weeds out the people that really don't want to sacrifice to do it.

Also do you think the retail chains will start expanding again? It seems to me that they are already done with expanding...I already see a Walgreens and CVS etc. on every corner so I do not see how it is possible for them to expand anymore than they already have! if you know what I mean...do you think they will expand more?

Yes. They aren't expanding now because the economy is bad and most importantly the housing market is stuck. No one is moving and no one is building new houses. That won't be the case forever and eventually people will begin moving, new communities will spring up which means a need for expansion. Plus I would say a good amount of customers are the elderly. The baby boomers are gonna become elderly very soon which means they'll need a S load of drugs. :laugh:

I am worry about pharmacy b/c of the number of graduates being pumped out and the retail chains lack of expansion.

If you think there is a way to get the number of graduates to DECREASE and the retail chains to expand like they did before then that is the only way pharmacy can be in demand again...OTHERWISE...I really do not see how pharmacy can be in demand.

I wouldn't be so worried about it. Its hard to get into pharm.

You misunderstood my post. 2000 apply for one opening at my local Walmart. 10 applications are selected at RANDOM. Then you just have to compete against those 10. They don't read every application. The ten they pick may all completely suck and then they might grab enough 5 applications at random out of the system. What is difficult about getting hired is the likelihood that yours will be selected for review.

That really depends on the area.

I don't see how it's possible 2 THOUSAND applications come in for 1 walmart position making 7.25. And out of 2,000 they pick 10 at random to review... By what you're saying it's extremely tough to get a job at Walmart which just isn't the case, that I know of and I can't see how Walmart is any different where you are. How is it that hard to get a job at one of the worst employers in the country... With walmart's crazy turnover rate how can it really be thta hard to get a job there...

Also the starting pay for a stocker is 10.25 (overnight). Where the heck do you live that is barely over 7 bucks? I was told their overnight differential is only 1.50.

Yeah, I started at $8.50 as an overnight stocker ten years ago and had worked my way up to $14 by the time I was laid off. ($12 was what I made in middle management after 5 years, but, then I went back to stocking as pay was the same and less hassle)
Walmart now reverts back to the store starting wage if you've been laid off longer than 60 days. They laid a whole bunch of us off at once and then offered us our jobs back after 62 days. At that point, minimum wage was $6.25 and the overnight differential had been reduced at our store to .50 cents plus their tier system gave you another .20 cents. One county over the differential is still $1.00. When minimum wage went up, most only got a raise up to minimum wage plus .20 cents. A few fought it and got their wages increased to $7.95.

I'm in the Central Florida area. With new construction going bust it's now really easy for Walmart to keep people in jobs for minimum wage because people are desperate. So, they lay off whenever they can get away with it and then call back experienced people back to start at minimum wage. Many are desperate enough to take it.

I'm not speaking second hand about them, I worked there for a long time in many different jobs through a supercenter. That's how they work around here. Though, I'm sure there are probably some areas of the country not so negatively impacted by the economic downturn where Walmart still has to pay more than pennies over minimum wage to retain overnight stockers.

I don't see how it's possible 2 THOUSAND applications come in for 1 walmart position making 7.25. And out of 2,000 they pick 10 at random to review... By what you're saying it's extremely tough to get a job at Walmart which just isn't the case, that I know of and I can't see how Walmart is any different where you are. How is it that hard to get a job at one of the worst employers in the country... With walmart's crazy turnover rate how can it really be thta hard to get a job there...

It's simple really, our county is at 14% unemployment and that doesn't include the self-employed types like subcontractors that were involved in handyman businesses, lawn care, construction, housekeeping and so on. The only way those people are counted is if they were incorporated and most of them weren't. Those people aren't going to walk into a bank or a technology company and get a job.

We've lost a lot of manufacturing, restaurants, retail stores, construction companies and those that are still open have mostly had some kind of layoff. Even our hospitals have had to layoff nurses.

The Mcdonald's across the street has guys working there that used to work in manufacturing that are working part time without benefits for minimum wage. The 'manager in training' there was the branch manager at a bank that closed that location. I'm sure she's lovin' that $9 an hour Mcdonald's management job.

Unfortunately a lot of people are under the assumption that Walmart actually offers benefits. They do, sort of. The insurance for a part time person actually costs more than you earn even before deducting taxes but you don't find that out until you've been there 90 days. So there are people desperate to have health insurance coverage that think they can get that working at Walmart.

The Mcdonald's across the street has guys working there that used to work in manufacturing that are working part time without benefits for minimum wage. The 'manager in training' there was the branch manager at a bank that closed that location. I'm sure she's lovin' that $9 an hour Mcdonald's management job.

Only $9/hr to be in charge of the place? :bullcrap:

Only $9/hr to be in charge of the place? :bullcrap:

Not as much BS as you would expect. Assistant managers do not make much more than the people they supervise at every retail place I have ever worked. At the outlet mall where I worked the second assistant manager made 8.50/hr. I have never worked at mcd's so I cannot comment on them specifically.

When I worked at WinnDixie I had people under me who made more than I did because of senority (I was second assistant manager).

As someone playing a role in inviting applicants for interviews for pharmacist and pharmacy tech positions, there is more you can do. Send in the application, then after a few days call the person in charge of hiring. Speak with this person about the position. Make sure you've done your research into what the position entails and into the company. Be professional. This helps your application stand out over the many others, and if you're a maybe you can be pushed into the "invite" pile. Doing this poorly can quickly push you into the "no way" pile.

BTW, that story about people leaving for residency makes no sense. If they're about to leave for a residency, they'd be leaving for a pharmacist position anyway and there would be intern positions opening up.

BTW, that story about people leaving for residency makes no sense. If they're about to leave for a residency, they'd be leaving for a pharmacist position anyway and there would be intern positions opening up.

I noticed that too. I didn't comment on it because it appeared she really believed that line of BS and I was :oops: for her.

Haha! You failed the personality test?

I'll give you a hint for when you retake it, they want STRONG responses, not middle of the road responses.

I HONESTLY have NO idea how I failed it. I did put a lot of middle the road responses. Target had a very similar test but much longer...they ask soooo many questions like "have you ever lied to your parents before?" WE ALL HAVE!!! So I just put not sure...I didn't want to put strongly agree or strongly disagree. I VERY RARELY put STRONGLY anything unless it's really TRUE. But you are right that could be a problem. They ask questions like "have you ever done anything you are ashame of" Stongly agree or disagree? (I really don't know how to answer those questions...I don't know what they want me to say! :confused:) I never really had a job before in my life so this stuff is very new to me. Here are a few questions that a lot of exams ALWAYS ask and I honestly have NO idea what they want from me.

They never told me how I failed it...I guess they just didn't like how I would do things...For example there is a question asking "what would you do if a customer ask you a question that is not in your field of speciality?"
a) tell them to ask your boss instead
b) find the person with that speciality to better assist that customer
c) ask them how you can help them.
d) ask them to come back later

I picked c) b/c I thought that is what they would want me to say...but I have no idea what is the best choice. Just like this question is always asked. "what would you do if you promise a customer you will find a answer for them in 20 minutes, but it is 10 minutes till noon and you have a meeting to go to at noon and you still do not have the answer to the question?"
a) go find the customer and tell the customer to come back later.
b)help the customer and be late to your meeting
c) go find the customer and tell them you will find the answer and get back with them ASAP
d) go find the customer and tell them you will call them back when you find the answer
I think I picked c)...again I have NO idea what is the best answer! :confused:
And there is a question that asked "you work with a coworker that is not very safe in performing his tasks. He seems to always do things in a dangerous way. And you overheard that your boss will be asking your coworker to train a new employee on safety procedures. What will you do?"
a) offer to train the new employee yourself
b)tell your boss that your coworker is very dangerous and don't let him train the new employee.
c) tell your boss that you want to train the new employee
d) tell your coworker that he is dangerous and offer to help him train the new employee

I think I picked a) and again I have NO idea what is the BEST answer!

Seriously the entire exam was full of these WERID ASS questions that I have NO idea what they want to hear. LOL...SO I just put down what I would do...and I failed it! :rolleyes: Next time I have to take an exam like this I will ask someone to help me with it! hahaha...

OH and TRUST ME I NKOW IT IS COMPETITVE to land a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The ONLY reason why I was going to get this job was b/c my uncle was best friends with one of the higher up people of Walmart. My uncle told him that I needed a job in the pharmacy and he said no problem. He told me he went in the system and pull my application out. He got over 300+ applications for that job and he picked my application out b/c of my uncle! He is now trying to hold my job until May when I can reapply for this job again. (and I will get someone to help me with this exam the next time I have to retake it! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:) But yeah, he told me he TRIED to hire me and put my name in the system but the system keeps on rejecting me b/c I failed the exam. I honestly do not know why...but thanks a lot for your input. I will put stronger answer next time and I will put down what they want to hear. LOL...but for some of those questions I don't even know what they want to hear! I seriously think this is harder than a Pharmacokinetics exam. :laugh:

Yeah but to be a CRNA you have to be a nurse and call me old school but I can't be a male nurse. :cool:

Im not worried about that you know why? Cuz its friggin hard. Anyone can get into law school as long as you get a good LSAT which is based on a lot of reading comprehension and logic. To get into pharm you gotta do well in math and science courses. While it might've been easy for you cuz your smart...for big dummies like me its a grind and I think that weeds out the people that really don't want to sacrifice to do it.

Yes. They aren't expanding now because the economy is bad and most importantly the housing market is stuck. No one is moving and no one is building new houses. That won't be the case forever and eventually people will begin moving, new communities will spring up which means a need for expansion. Plus I would say a good amount of customers are the elderly. The baby boomers are gonna become elderly very soon which means they'll need a S load of drugs. :laugh:

I wouldn't be so worried about it. Its hard to get into pharm.

I see...yeah male nurse does not sound good! LOL...

I am not that smart. Trust me if I was smart I would not be struggling to get an A with my second therapuetics class right now! :rolleyes: (But I honestly do not care anymore...I just want the summer time to COME and for me to be laying on the beach right now! I'll take my 2nd B+ and start my summer!:laugh:)

You are right in that SOME pharmay schools are hard. The older more established programs are much more competitive and harder to get into. The newer schools are easy to get into though and there are more and more newer schools being opened every year. They charge very high tuitions and accept anyone (even those with low GPA/PCAT).

R you not worry that those people will graduate and take your jobs away?

I agree with you that some pharmacy schools are hard to get into...but the newer ones that just opened up are easy to get into and they are the ones causing this saturation right now.

If you look at PCOM's curriculum you will know it's a joke! So some pharmacy school is also easy to complete and are just out to make money off students.

R you not worry that these people will graduate and steal your jobs?