My Car Exploded. (No, seriously)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, you are old...pulling out the cars produced before I was even born...

Members don't see this ad.

Like the Ford Pinto......

"A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside.

Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C.

A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."

http://www.calbaptist.edu/dskubik/pinto.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
This reminds me of how my ford focus is hanging on by a thread...It's broken down twice already! I neeeed it to last me through 2 more years of pharmacy school.

ETA: Though my first hope is that it doesn't explode.

This reminds me of how my ford focus is hanging on by a thread...It's broken down twice already! I neeeed it to last me through 2 more years of pharmacy school.

ETA: Though my first hope is that it doesn't explode.
Let me remind you what FORD acutally stand for:

Found
On
Road
Dead

...God damn, I am the best legal con artist on the face of the Earth and no I'm not telling you how I did it....but if you knew, you'd crack up.....

My money is that it had something to do with those Adderalls you picked up. :smuggrin:

**Edit** I'm awesome for replying to an almost year old comment.

GM just needs to fold and allow Ford to be the premiere US manufacturer, anyway. Their cars are nicer, better designed, better looking, more reliable, and typically don't explode for no reason.

I disagree.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcNeorjXMrE[/YOUTUBE]

**Damnit, beat again. Sigh. I need a job that lets me check the forums more often.

That's an interesting perspective. You would make a great auto exec.

nah, to be a great auto exec, you have to have the brain of realizing that it's cheaper to pay the # of victims of fiery death than spend the $11 per car to fix the gas tanks. :D

That's an interesting perspective. You would make a great auto exec.

I doubt it. Even if they fixed the problem with the pinto, things like this would have still been used to doom its existence. The biggest problem was they decided to fight the image and say it didn't exist, rather than fixing it.

I was merely pointing out that this is a rare, but serious side effect, not a common one as most people make it out to be.

I doubt it. Even if they fixed the problem with the pinto, things like this would have still been used to doom its existence. The biggest problem was they decided to fight the image and say it didn't exist, rather than fixing it.

I know what you meant, and my response was harsh. I apologize. But what should haunt everyone is the Ford execs knew the problem existed before releasing the car to market, and still decided to go ahead because the lawsuit payout would be less expensive than correcting the problem. It was common enough for them to know the problem before one consumer sat in that vehicle.