My chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jainie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and would like to see hi to all!

I took the GRE's a few weeks ago and got a very low score (920) :(
I hate standardized tests and can't seem to test well on them. My dilemma is that I have graduated with a Bachelors in Interdisciplinary Studies with a focus on international health. I am currently working at a non-profit organization that focuses on malaria eradication. I had planned to apply for my MPH for the Fall 2009 semester; however with these scores, I'm very reluctant in doing so. My mistake is that I only studied for a month and took the GRE's too close to the deadlines of the schools I want to apply to (January and February 2009 deadlines). My GPA was 3.68, I've had 2 years of work experience (1 year and 3 months of public health work experience). What are my chances of applying to George Washington Univ - Global Health program, Johns Hopkins - International Health, Columbia Mailman, NYU International Community Health, University of Maryland -Community Health? I feel like i'm in bad shape because of my gre scores. I really wanted to apply this year, but if my scores are going to ruin my chances of getting in to any of these schools, then maybe its best to apply for 2010?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Since most schools recommend a minimum score of 1000, I think it would be worth it to re-take the test before you apply. It may seem rushed but it's the only thing holding you back and it wouldn't hurt to re-take it. If you don't, they might wonder why you didn't.

But if your willing to pay the application fees and take a chance with what you have, it might help to write a letter explaining your trouble with standardized tests. That way you can point out the strong components of your application package as a testament to your abilities. :)

Thanks Jet Dry! Well, at this point, if I decide to apply to Columbia, I would have to send my application in now since their deadline is in January, but for the other schools, I will probably opt to take it again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, which programs exactly are you applying to? The full-time MPH deadline for JHU was December 1 (program begins in July). I would also get your GW application in ASAP as they recommend having all materials in by Jan 15 for scholarship consideration, and SOPHAS says they take 4-6 weeks to process applications (though they process many applications more quickly). Or perhaps you are applying to the part-time programs and they have different deadlines?

I am just an applicant like yourself so I am no expert, but I feel like if the admissions committee would overlook one thing it would be test scores. Academic and work experience are more important. That said, a bit of studying could boost your score 100 points or more, so you'll have to decide whether it's worth it to you to retake it. How did you score on your practice exams?

ETA: Oops, I was wrong about the GW deadline. Their website says submit everything to SOPHAS and postmark your supplementary application by Feb 15 for scholarship consideration, and by April 15 otherwise. Looks like you have time -- sorry! I am getting so confused between all the different school app dates and the SOPHAS process.

Last edited:
I would agree with the others- retake it if there's any way. I knew someone who worked on admissions committee for a second-tier SPH and she told me that the GRE/GPA are actually the first thing they look at- helps them to cull down the # of applicants. That said, I think that even without a lot of studying you should be able to boost your score past 1000- without necessarily learning a lot more vocab/math skills, if you focus on test taking strategies that may be enough to do it. (tutoring may be helpful in this area?) GWU has such a late deadline (although financial aid deadline is earlier)- maybe focus on that school or one other - contact them to discuss your scores, get in touch with faculty working in a relevant area or students there...in short, really pursue at least one of the programs as this may make a big difference. Good luck!