My chances and my future options.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowteeth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow SDNers,

I was hoping that I could get a general public opinion on what would be my wisest and most realistic options. I applied to dental schools this past cycle and I got interviews at Maryland, Boston, USC, Michigan, Columbia (didnt go), Case (waitlist/didnt go). I had my application mail out the beginning of August and AADSAS processed and mailed out my forms by mid-september. After all my interviews, I got waitlisted at Maryland and Michigan and I am still waiting to hear back from USC and BU; however I know its very conceivable that I may be waitlisted/rejected from those schools as well.

After my 3rd year when I applied, I had a 3.4 cum. and a 3.1 science along with a 23 AA and a 19 pat. However I foolishly thought that I would be a lock for some school somewhere, so I performed quite poorly my 4th year so my overall fell to around a 3.25 and my science around a 2.7-2.9. My parents are really pressing for me to do a career change now, but I still feel very passionate about continuing on with my dental aspirations.

I know post-bac is an option; but with my marks, (low science GPA) would I still be a strong applicant in the 2008 cycle. This application process has been hell for me, and to go through a year of post-bac and reapplying and not getting in would not be an option. I want to be certain that I will be able to get in SOMEWHERE if I were to pursue this option.

Also, how long would my DAT be good for before I have to retake them over again?

I guess thats it for my little ranting, but I do want to know what you guys think. I am eager to listen to any constructive criticisms, suggestions or different alternatives you might know of. Thank you to those who read through this lengthy post.

Members don't see this ad.

If this career is what you want you have to be willing to give it your all and maybe you did give it your all.....But someone that filled your spot in those chairs had something more........if your passionate an you dont get in this round. Then you'll do what you have to do to get in next round. If it means busting your fanny in Post-bac to raise your GPA and re-writing your personal statement, studying and killin' the DAT, getting improved LORs and going through all the H" and applying again you will do it. You were good enough to get interviews and be waitlisted..so i wouldnt give up if i were you......Put your undies on straight and you'll pull through.......Good Luck ;)

with your marks there is a good chance you will get in somewhere. apply to more schools next round. Definitly NYU for one. Good luck