My chances at Howard BS/MD

taleblazer

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I plan on becoming a doctor and it is not likely that my career choice will change. At my high school, you can take more classes in the school year than the other high schools in the area. So much so, that as a junior, I would have taken the same amount of classes as a senior in a nearby high school. That's when I decided it was a great idea to graduate early. I also was looking at some opportunities for combined programs and I saw Howard's 6-year bs/md. (my dad may get stationed in Virginia soon so I would like to go there anyway regardless)

Anyway, since I am graduating early, I would like to know if I still have a chance before I get ahead of myself (I just finished my freshman year). I would already have taken all the classes to be eligible for the program by the end of my junior year. Keep in mind some of this stuff is subject to change

If anyone previously accepted into the program would post their stats, it would be much appreciated.

I'd like to get some input from a Howard bs md alum or just anyone based on my "plans":

Test scores:
SAT: not taken (going to take it sophomore and junior year)
PSAT: 1450

GPA: idk yet (right now it's 4.0/4.16)

APs:

Freshmen:
AP Human Geo

Sophmore:
AP Biology
AP Physics 1
AP Euro

Junior: (probably will end up only taking 4/5)
AP Language Comp
AP Literature
AP US
AP Gov
AP Calc A/B
AP Calc B/C
AP Chemistry

Extracurriculars:

(Planning to)HOSA member 3 yrs
HOSA golden member
Collaborated with San Diego Blood Bank and Planned two blood drives at school and collected record-breaking donors of 109 for our school
Captain of Academic Team (Freshmen and JV also)
(Planning to)CSF member 3 yrs
Volunteer at food shelters for homeless (100+ hrs over summer)
Publicity chair CSF
(Planning to)National Honor Society
(Planning to)Doctor internship/shadowing at Scripps
Shadowing and letter of rec from former HOD anesthesiologist
Volleyball 3 yrs (MVP one year)
TedX MC as well as speaker
Starting chapter/president of STAR club, student together assisting refugees
(Planning to)Going to India over the summer in order to help in underserved villages and orphanages (big ec) With tutoring, donating/distributing food
Toshiba Exploravision honorable mention
Masjid Youth Group co-president
Key Club member
Asain Student Union vice president
Went to Pakistan over the summer in the WISE organization to attend protests for the treatment of women in rural areas.

Again, these are just my plans and they probably will change but this is just what I have laid out. Any input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you fit the mission of the school?
The school's aim is to provide care for underserved areas (which I plan to do). Also, some of my extracurriculars emphasize on helping the needy. Like the club that helps refugees, volunteering in India, and homeless shelters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me be more blunt. Are you black? South East Asian/Asians unfortunately aren’t under represented in medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
The school's aim is to provide care for underserved areas (which I plan to do). Also, some of my extracurriculars emphasize on helping the needy. Like the club that helps refugees, volunteering in India, and homeless shelters.
Their larger mission is to provide African-American physicians to a community that is in dire need of them.
About 3/4 of the incoming MD class last year was African American. It is possible that a disproportionate share of the BS/MD matriculants were not.
If you find this to be the case and have a compelling reason to believe that you have distinguished yourself in the way that makes you a strong candidate, then apply.

Let me be more blunt. Are you black? South East Asian/Asians unfortunately aren’t under represented in medicine.
Even though Howard University is a predominantly black school, the students enrolled in the bs/md program were a lot of Asians and South Asians as well as black. I'm not too worried that my ethnicity would pose as an obstacle. Thanks for the tip though.

Reactions: 1 user