My Chances at MD schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckyhheart7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I Have a 2.5 GPA and a 2.61 overall

I'm a junior

I have not taken the Mcat yet

Members don't see this ad.

Slim to none unless you do some major academic rehab. It would probably take at least a DIY post-bacc, if not an actual master's program.

What are those

I have been told that if i took 55 units of science courses extra I could raise my science gpa to a 3.5

Members don't see this ad :)
What are those

I have been told that if i took 55 units of science courses extra I could raise my science gpa to a 3.5
(From your original post, I assume the 2.5 is your sGPA.) Doing some quick algebra, that's possible if you've taken a maximum of 27.5 science credits up to this point, and you'd have to ace those other 55 credits. But that won't rehab your overall GPA enough. Assuming you've taken just 12 credit hours per semester up to this point (which is the minimum course load to qualify as a full-time student anywhere that I know of), acing those 55 science credits would get your cGPA up to 3.27. That won't be good enough for any mainland MD school. Some DO schools would take you, but you'd have to look really awesome in other ways -- I know this because my brother-in-law got into a DO school with a 3.2 cGPA, but he also had incredible ECs.

A post-bacc is a post-baccalaureate program. You can read up a bit at Post-baccalaureate Programs.

Tagging @Goro, who is much more qualified than I to speak of DO admissions (and admissions in general).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Anything less than a 3.0 will be dead on arrival everywhere. If you can make it to 3.2-3.4-ish and manage a stellar MCAT you may be able to inch your way into DO or maybe MD with a good enough comeback story.

As of now though you should really think about if that is worth it. Clearly with 3 years of college under your belt you're a very sub-par student. Why is that? What can you change to become a straight A student for the next +2 years? Are you really willing to delay your graduation or do a more classes AFTER graduation (DIY Post-Back)? Do you have the financial resources to continue not making money for 2 more years?

These are the kind of hard questions you have to ask yourself before you decide if medicine is really worth it for you. For some people its not, and thats totally OK. There are tons of other great jobs out there both in and outside of the healthcare world.

When I say stellar MCAT I mean at least 90th percentile (DO), and ideally closer to 95th percentile (for MD). No small task.