My chances for a DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew7793

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've always enjoyed medicine. I'm torn between Medical school or PA school. BUT, who knows if I'll be satisfied being a PA considering x amount of time, I may be just as knowledgeable as the physician I work for. What are my chances for medical school? Particularly DO, but if you have any thoughts on MD, I'm open to it. Thank you : )

EC's

-Northland Hospice Palliative care Volunteer- 2011-present

-Shadowed Physician, Physician Assistant, Nurse Practitioner all within Cardiology- summer 2011, 2012, (and will continue).

-Treasure of Chemistry Club: 2012 present With multiple community events (i.e. Demos)

-Bio club member; With several volunteering hours and events 2011- present

-Student TA for Microbiology lab

- Involved in some research with a student colleagues work. I intend on beginning my own project next semester.

-Intramural athlete 2011- present

- Volunteer Bike mechanic at My Campus bike "shop".

Still more to come! I will be a junior next year.

Academic:

I am confident I can maintain my GPA above a 3.40, and intend to finish with a 3.5 or higher.

MCAT:

What is a solid score/minimum? Obviously the higher the better, I just feel more comfortable knowing some number.

also as a side note- I hate to use this just because it isn't fair but this may change circumstances. I am Hispanic...

-A

no rude feedback please.

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA is good for pretty much all D.O. schools, but it will be on the lower end of the range M.D. schools are looking for. You've got strong EC's from what I skimmed through, good for both DO/MD. If you want to go MD you need to get 31+. For D.O., if you get 26+ you should get interviews, but I would shoot for 30+ regardless.

Overall your application will look pretty good there guy!

Your GPA is good for pretty much all D.O. schools, but it will be on the lower end of the range M.D. schools are looking for. You've got strong EC's from what I skimmed through, good for both DO/MD. If you want to go MD you need to get 31+. For D.O., if you get 26+ you should get interviews, but I would shoot for 30+ regardless.

Overall your application will look pretty good there guy!

^Agreed.

2012 accepted students MCAT: DO 27, MD 31. 30 will open many doors for DO. 32+ will open doors for MD. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have a lot of invaluable insight for you but I do want to say this....

Becoming a PA instead of a DO/MD is not about settling for second past. They both fulfill great needs in our healthcare system and well-trained and vision oriented PA's have great opportunity that is only going to expand in the healthcare environment that is coming to our country. Do your best to remove the prestige/society opinion from your decision as much as possible and be realistic about how much you want to invest in your education and training for your long term lifestyle. As your realize, entering medicine as a physician is a huge commitment of all your resources. If you choose to pursue it, I wish you the best but if you choose PA, you are equally respected and can maintain both an honorable career and more reasonable lifestyle for both the short term and probably long term as well.

hi everyone,

i've always enjoyed medicine. I'm torn between medical school or pa school. But, who knows if i'll be satisfied being a pa considering x amount of time, i may be just as knowledgeable as the physician i work for. What are my chances for medical school? Particularly do, but if you have any thoughts on md, i'm open to it. Thank you : )

ec's

-northland hospice palliative care volunteer- 2011-present

-shadowed physician, physician assistant, nurse practitioner all within cardiology- summer 2011, 2012, (and will continue).

-treasure of chemistry club: 2012 present with multiple community events (i.e. Demos)

-bio club member; with several volunteering hours and events 2011- present

-student ta for microbiology lab

- involved in some research with a student colleagues work. I intend on beginning my own project next semester.

-intramural athlete 2011- present

- volunteer bike mechanic at my campus bike "shop".

Academic:

I am confident i can maintain my gpa above a 3.40, and intend to finish with a 3.5 or higher.

Mcat:

What is a solid score/minimum? Obviously the higher the better, i just feel more comfortable knowing some number.

Also as a side note- i hate to use this just because it isn't fair but this may change circumstances. I am hispanic...

-a

no rude feedback please.

25 pure minimum for DO. 26+ would be ideal.

23 is cutting it way too close. 23 will only give a prospective student hope if he/she wants to enroll into LECOM's SMP where admission is essentially guaranteed if a certain GPA is met and has at least a 23 on the MCAT.

25 pure minimum for DO. 26+ would be ideal.

23 is cutting it way too close. 23 will only give a prospective student hope if he/she wants to enroll into LECOM's SMP where admission is essentially guaranteed if a certain GPA is met and has at least a 23 on the MCAT.

look at MDapplicants and the UD thread and school specific threads. people with OP's GPA and 23 have had fine outcomes (including one underdog with 3.47/3.22/23 and 5 interviews)

Hi everyone,

I've always enjoyed medicine. I'm torn between Medical school or PA school. BUT, who knows if I'll be satisfied being a PA considering x amount of time, I may be just as knowledgeable as the physician I work for. What are my chances for medical school? Particularly DO, but if you have any thoughts on MD, I'm open to it. Thank you : )

EC's

-Northland Hospice Palliative care Volunteer- 2011-present

-Shadowed Physician, Physician Assistant, Nurse Practitioner all within Cardiology- summer 2011, 2012, (and will continue).

-Treasure of Chemistry Club: 2012 present With multiple community events (i.e. Demos)

-Bio club member; With several volunteering hours and events 2011- present

-Student TA for Microbiology lab

- Involved in some research with a student colleagues work. I intend on beginning my own project next semester.

-Intramural athlete 2011- present

- Volunteer Bike mechanic at My Campus bike "shop".

Academic:

I am confident I can maintain my GPA above a 3.40, and intend to finish with a 3.5 or higher.

MCAT:

What is a solid score/minimum? Obviously the higher the better, I just feel more comfortable knowing some number.

also as a side note- I hate to use this just because it isn't fair but this may change circumstances. I am Hispanic...

-A

no rude feedback please.

Don't hate to use the fact that your are hispanic. Any advantage you have is a good advantage. And it is fair, considering the current educational demographics within the hispanic culture.

Aside from your race lol, I think your chances are pretty solid.

Question: Have you taken any practice MCATS and if so what were your scores?
What is your science gpa?
Did you calculate your gpa with grade replacements (D.O style) or did you configure every retake?

Note: If you can secure a solid 30, I would be shocked if you did not get into both MD and DO schools, as long as your SGPA is above a 3.3.

I wish you the best of luck and DO use your heritage to help open doors. It doesn't matter how you get into medical school, so long as you get in!

Don't hate to use the fact that your are hispanic. Any advantage you have is a good advantage. And it is fair, considering the current educational demographics within the hispanic culture.

Aside from your race lol, I think your chances are pretty solid.

Question: Have you taken any practice MCATS and if so what were your scores?
What is your science gpa?
Did you calculate your gpa with grade replacements (D.O style) or did you configure every retake?

Note: If you can secure a solid 30, I would be shocked if you did not get into both MD and DO schools, as long as your SGPA is above a 3.3.

I wish you the best of luck and DO use your heritage to help open doors. It doesn't matter how you get into medical school, so long as you get in!

Thank you! I haven't taken any yet, I intend on doing so spring 2014! My science gpa is climbing slowly, It's a 3.38 and my overall GPA is 3.49.