My Chances for MPH??? HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MPH2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After reading lot threads about people applying for MPH, I'm little worried now because my GPA for Undergrad was 3.116/4.0, which is not really high, and I am preparing for GRE now but I have a hard time to improve my verbal. I have took some practice tests (paper and computer), and my overall score was around 1100. But I was double major when I was undergrad, and I did undergrad research in physical chemistry, I was enrolled into two different pharmacy schools' programs, which prepare you for pharmacy school. I also have been working in health fields for over a year and I had volunteer experiences as well.

I have talked to lots schools admissions, but I'm not too sure about my chances..I also want to apply early.

Any suggestions anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

What state do you live in?

You definitely sound competitive for quite a decent amount of programs since your GPA/GRE are up to par with many school averages for admitted students. The only ones you may have trouble with are JHU, Harvard, UNC, Columbia, UCLA, and Berkeley, but even then, I'd apply to the latter 3 since you'll have a good shot if you write a good SOP. The former 3 really favor people who 1) were research superstars in undergrad, 2) professionals who've been working full-time for 2+ years, 3) doctoral degree-holders.

What state do you live in?

You definitely sound competitive for quite a decent amount of programs since your GPA/GRE are up to par with many school averages for admitted students. The only ones you may have trouble with are JHU, Harvard, UNC, Columbia, UCLA, and Berkeley, but even then, I'd apply to the latter 3 since you'll have a good shot if you write a good SOP. The former 3 really favor people who 1) were research superstars in undergrad, 2) professionals who've been working full-time for 2+ years, 3) doctoral degree-holders.

Thanks for reply!

I'm in NC, so UNC is definitely my first choice, but I'm very open to all the chances as long as it's not super expensive.

I'm working on my personal statement, but honestly, I'm not a good writer, so.... I'm thinking about applying to UNC, Minnesota State, Pittsburgh, Georgia State, and South Florida. but if anyone can gimme some suggestions on schools that will be great!

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing is most MPH programs are all relatively within the same range for tuition besides in-state public universities (and Emory). Emory charges--what--22k/year? I'm thinking some other ranked programs like Iowa would be cheap, but I haven't really researched their SPH all that much.

I would apply to University of Georgia. They are a tremendous research university, with ties to CDC. It's also a great college town, and very affordable.