This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ayy_MadScientist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think a 505 would do it for MD. A 505 by itself is pretty low for MD, and on top of the a 505 as your THIRD MCAT is not impressive. What state do you live in? Do you identify as URM? I am incredibly surprised you had a GTown interview last cycle.

Personally, I think you should skip the MCAT unless you can knock it out of the park 515+. Then and ONLY THEN, apply to MD schools the second you get your score back. 22, 501, 505 is NOT going to cut if for an MD app.

The more realistic option is skip MD all together, apply to 15+ DO schools where their average hovers around 26-27, and you should receive some interviews with that strong GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your current MCAT scores are not consistent with success at an MD school. There are DO schools that will interview you, though.

A much higher score would make you a candidate for some MD schools but the late timing would make next cycle the better choice. 505 would only be marginally better for a third try.

You should be able to obtain a DO acceptance with you current MCAT and GPA. Where did you apply for DO schools?

Your current MCAT scores are not consistent with success at an MD school. There are DO schools that will interview you, though.

A much higher score would make you a candidate for some MD schools but the late timing would make next cycle the better choice. 505 would only be marginally better for a third try.

I know a 505 isn't great, but I also know I could do much better on my MCAT if I had more time to study.
Thank you for your response @gyngyn !

You have a good list for DO schools and by adding the ones Goro recommended you should receive several interviews. Look into the OOS cost for MSUCOM for non residents though as it quite high. If you are going to apply to MD schools the time to do it is this week. If your new MCAT is much higher (>510) then you would have a better chance for MD schools. If you are going to apply this week I suggest these schools:
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Marshall
Georgetown
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton